Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
also I don't think there is a concept of years on Tesla vehicles. Like I have a 2019 Model which I bought new in March 2019. Its pretty much has the same configurations as the one sold in 2018. Remember its a big computer on wheels so software version running it matters.

For me, it has more to do with having the extra year on the HOV sticker than anything to do with the vehicle configuration.

Reactions: JustSaying
For me, it has more to do with having the extra year on the HOV sticker than anything to do with the vehicle configuration.
That doesn't really matter though. If you take delivery this year you can just apply for it in January instead of immediately. My neighbor has a 2014 Model S with a new 2020 HOV sticker because the previous owner never requested it. The timer starts when you request the sticker, not when the car is built.

Edit: and actually, anyone taking delivery through the end of the year should consider this. Delaying your application for the sticker until January will ensure your sticker is valid through January 2025. The program ends completely in September 2025.

Last edited:
That doesn't really matter though. If you take delivery this year you can just apply for it in January instead of immediately. My neighbor has a 2014 Model S with a new 2020 HOV sticker because the previous owner never requested it. The timer starts when you request the sticker, not when the car is built.

Edit: and actually, anyone taking delivery through the end of the year should consider this. Delaying your application for the sticker until January will ensure your sticker is valid through January 2025. The program ends completely in September 2025.

Thank you for this information - I always thought it was based on the model year, not when the application was sent in. I will be applying in January for sure.

Received text today... “Tesla Update- We currently expect your MY to be ready for delivery 3 - 10 days from today...”

No VIN assigned, account still shows 7 - 11 week est.

Ordered on 9/8: Red/Black/20”/Hitch/LR. Costa Mesa pickup.

Received “Ready for delivery 4 - 8 days from today” on 9/22. Replied to the text today asking if a VIN has been assigned, got a reply back that there’s a possibility for pick up on Saturday, answered “yes”... Account did not update

Received a call short while later saying car is in and available for pick up today at 6pm. Confirmed I could, account updated with purchase agreement and VIN, transferred my balance due. Raced home from work to receive another call saying the detailer wouldn’t be able to get to the car before the day ended, needed to reschedule pick up for tomorrow 9/25 at 5:30. Pickup location in Irvine.

I had ordered this morning and got call from advisor in evening. Since I specifically want the vehicle on Oct 22 ( which is difficult), she said she will flag the 'DO NOT MATCH VIN' in their system. This means my order will stay as is until Oct 1 and then it would start matching VINs that match my configuration. I am happy so far.

I am a first-day reservation holder (15-Mar-2019), Model Y, LR, Deep-Blue, White interior, no FSD, no Tow. o_O

I was out of the country for a while and could not take delivery earlier but returned last month and promptly updated all my info online in early August. Hoping to get delivery by EOQ. Got a 4-8 days text on Tuesday but no VIN or MVPA yet. Since I let my insurance lapse while I was out of the country, I don't have an active policy at the moment. Fingers-crossed they give me a VIN at least couple days before delivery so I can do some comparison shopping and get the insurance squared away before delivery.

Last edited:
Tesla SAs are really inconsistant called earlier today to confirm my pick up for saturday in Rocklin and they said gps said my car was in Rocklin already and thatmy appointment was in tge system, called back to see if I could do early delivery tomorrow since car was there, im carless at the moment, and I work night shift all weekend 6p-7a. So I would have been more convenient to pick it up tomorrow and I can actually sleep. They said that my SA would call me back to see if they can accomidate, 2 hrs pass and no call. So I called back another person answered telling me its still in fremont, and can put a note in to call me if it comes in and I can do delivery tomorrow. They are just very inconsistent either way I can settle for the lack of sleep if needed on Saturday, At least i have an apt for delivery.

Picked up my car today! White performance w/ black interior. Vin 53xxx no serious panel issues. One of the door was very slightly off they said they should be able to fix it with service appointment. One door handle wasn’t flush like the other 3 the rep said I can try to request a fix and see what the service people say. Trunk opened and closed, frunk closed easily. Lights were all flush. Inside the car had some marks on the seats that they cleaned off. Some dark prints on the fabric pillar that they cleaned. The front bumper was a little off color than the rest but only if you stared very close at it.

Reactions: alexcue
Just got my VIN!! Finally! 508xx Ordered 8/8 White/Black 19, No tow, no FSD. Delivery date not set tho.
BTW, when are you able to get a quote on Tesla insurance? It used to say once I get VIN I can get a quite, but not it says I will be able to do so once delivery is near??

Just got my VIN!! Finally! 508xx Ordered 8/8 White/Black 19, No tow, no FSD. Delivery date not set tho.
BTW, when are you able to get a quote on Tesla insurance? It used to say once I get VIN I can get a quite, but not it says I will be able to do so once delivery is near??
Just call Tesla insurance. Give them your vin and they will do a quote via the phone. It will get added to your car. Tesla insurance is the cheapest. My M3 is half the price from my previous insurance at the same coverage.

Reactions: lagod and joshwa_RN
Received my 5-12 days text on 9/17, Tesla chat yesterday afternoon said no VIN, refreshed page on Tesla account around 11PM and now a VIN shows up in the 55900 range. No pickup date yet... White/white 20” no FSD and No tow with Buena Park pickup
Where about does the VIN show up on your account page?...
I’m still waiting. Bay Area ordered LR 8/23 White, Black, 20” not tow, no FSD.
Last texts said I should get delivery by 9/23 then next said by end of month.

@oknish No changes in my financing but got a good update today:

9/14 Order
9/22 MVPA / VIN in account (56xxx)
9/23 MVPA disappeared
9/24 Text to Schedule Delivery (still no MVPA)
9/27 *Tentative Delivery*

You gonna get it soon. They are literally delivering a metric ton of cars to SoCal. We picked up ours on Wed, 9/23, at Sherman Oaks Pop Up. There were at least 150 cars waiting for pickup just that day.

BTW, I changed my financing on Tue, day before pickup. It all got worked out. Best of luck!

It seems like there are two 'chat' experiences. One on the main page for MY when you're looking at the detail (they're available 24/7) and another in the support section that's only available 8am-3pm PST.

I've been using the one on the main info page on the MY and I always get the same canned response (exactly the same text) to contact my sales advisor.

For anyone that received their VIN "via chat", which one did you use? If you used the support one, did you go through the questionnaire first?

Thanks!