Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about via the Chargefox app? This seems like a major operability mistake in the charger design if there's no way around it.

No option. You can just click on "start charging".
I sent chargefox an email but no reply!
(whereas they replied before just for a stupid enquiery about why one of their chargers wasnt working and they immediately told me what was wrong with the charger and when it wil get fixed)

The Goulburn site is active in their app too! Only two charging units by the looks of things. I would've thought Goulburn would be bigger than most of their others?

[Edit: Just checked Plugshare, someone has put up a pic, it does have 3, but the app only displays two.]

Is it normal for a chargefox 350kw ultra rapid charger to only charge a M3 LR at 46kw with battery in the mid 60% range? Presumably because I hooked up with 63% remaining.

upload_2020-1-17_17-58-30.png

This was my first time at any sort of rapid charger before. Had sort of hoped it might have charged at a higher rate up toward 80% at least.

Is it normal for a chargefox 350kw ultra rapid charger to only charge a M3 LR at 46kw with battery in the mid 60% range? Presumably because I hooked up with 63% remaining.

This was my first time at any sort of rapid charger before. Had sort of hoped it might have charged at a higher rate up toward 80% at least.
The thread linked below seems to be the authoritative source for Model 3 charging speed limitations from the car. The station, in your case ChargeFox, may limit the charging speed as well.

V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

This chart is specific to CCS. Others are shown in the thread for Supercharger V2 and Supercharger V3.

20190626-3lr-ccs-chrg-png.423726

Just remember that there are several factors that can lead to slower charging than the ideal cases shown in the chart above.

Thanks for that. Will read up on it. There are two 350kw ultra rapid chargers side by side at RACV Torquay Vic. After 5 minutes I swapped to the second unit to see if it was any faster. There was no obvious difference and both charged at ~ 46kw. So it ended up taking pretty much an hour to fill from 63%. That chart shows the sort of rates I was getting should have occurred around the 85% mark and I should have been getting twice the rate I was seeing at 63%. Perhaps Chargefox had it throttled for some reason. Maybe the Toasters were on in the RACV.

Chargefox web login

I cannot log in to the Chargefox website. Mobile app works fine but no luck with a browser. Tried on various browsers and devices and removing cookies. Always returns "You need to sign in or signup before continuing" even though my credentials are correct. I can reset my password from their website but that's it. Is this normal with Chargefox?

Thanks for that. Will read up on it. There are two 350kw ultra rapid chargers side by side at RACV Torquay Vic. After 5 minutes I swapped to the second unit to see if it was any faster. There was no obvious difference and both charged at ~ 46kw. So it ended up taking pretty much an hour to fill from 63%. That chart shows the sort of rates I was getting should have occurred around the 85% mark and I should have been getting twice the rate I was seeing at 63%. Perhaps Chargefox had it throttled for some reason. Maybe the Toasters were on in the RACV.
I know it's been fairly warm lately so this is unlikely but just in case - did you arrive there with a cold vehicle/battery? Rates are controlled by the vehicle to be relatively lower until the battery gets warm.

Tesla charge best with battery temps at just over 50 celsius - roughly around half an hour of driving at highway speeds.

This is what preconditioning is for superchargers. The stators run in inefficient mode - 3.5kw on each for dual motors, and 3.0 kw sr+ Rear heating the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Tesla charge best with battery temps at just over 50 celsius - roughly around half an hour of driving at highway speeds.

This is what preconditioning is for superchargers. The stators run in inefficient mode - 3.5kw on each for dual motors, and 3.0 kw sr+ Rear heating the battery.

Be good if they came up with a button you could press to tell the car you are intending on fast charging shortly, obviously when you are going to a supercharger it starts to warm the battery but it's not going to know about other ones I assume?

Well it was a cool day. Only 17 degrees, but I had just driven for an hour and a half and 115km immediately prior to charging.
I've seen my S throttle regen from about 15 ambient which would suggest it would also limit charging, but after that much driving it should have definitely been at optimal charging temperature. On my S I find that if I program the next stop as an actual supercharger it does even more preheating approaching it and the charge always runs flat out for longer (128kW of 130 max till 45% then gently lowers and around 90kW by 63%) whereas if I pass by a supercharger while driving without programming the stop in nav it throttles much sooner. However I wouldn't expect under 50kW by 63% even in that scenario, but we do have different sized battery packs as well.

Looks like chargefox has now had a firmware patch where it doesnt start to charge automatically. You have to press start - which means you can now start above 80%. Should be noted though that "max" is 95%.

Also Chargefox will charge 20 cents/kwh from the 28th for their mid-speed DCs and AC chargers. Their fast chargers have always been 40 cents I think. Either way, very reasonable compared to i.e. Evie or Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighlyCharged
Chargefox web login

I cannot log in to the Chargefox website. Mobile app works fine but no luck with a browser. Tried on various browsers and devices and removing cookies. Always returns "You need to sign in or signup before continuing" even though my credentials are correct. I can reset my password from their website but that's it. Is this normal with Chargefox?
This happens to me too. I've never been able to log in to Chargefox via the website, only the app.

We do? What is it?
The ludicrous+ button will start heating your battery. It's not intended for that purpose, but you sure can use it in that way. Just remember to turn it off once charging since you no longer want it running (unless you want it in + mode afterwards.) Of course heating the battery will consume charge so don't do it if you're running really low but otherwise it will be offset by faster charging once you get there.

Last edited: