Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which of these do you believe to have the lowest total cost of ownership after 5 years.

• 2016 Facelited Model S 75D, 55k miles, FSD - 5 Year all in cost: $77.6k

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • 2018 Model 3 Stealth Performance, 35k miles, FSD - 5 Year all in cost: $79k

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • 2020 Model 3 Stealth Performance, 0 miles, FSD - 5 Year all in cost: $89.4k

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No worries. They don't list them, but are available. You can't custom order it is just what is available. Reach out to your local Tesla dealer.

They can't be ordered, but are in stock? Meaning they just build them randomly? I'd imagine everything would be gone then with the end of year craziness going on right now.

I'm assuming this would be just a LR AWD with Performance unlock but none of the other Performance upgrades (wheels, brakes, spoiler. etc.)?

They can't be ordered, but are in stock? Meaning they just build them randomly? I'd imagine everything would be gone then with the end of year craziness going on right now.

I'm assuming this would be just a LR AWD with Performance unlock but none of the other Performance upgrades (wheels, brakes, spoiler. etc.)?
They have 1, I kid you not 1. But yes built random. It is the performance - without the wheels, brakes, and spoiler. So Essentially the upgrade AWD, but faster as it is the full performance

Looking for others opinions on depreciation.

I see model S's now going just below the $30's.

Thinking about a used and face lifted 2016 model S 75D vs a model 3 performance.

Thinking about total cost of ownership over say 5 years, even with another update to the S I'm thinking it shouldn't hurt the already depreciated used Model S's too bad. So maybe $30k after 5 years as a worst case.

A brand new Model 3 stealth performance can be had for $50k, so in theory as a used car will go below $30k in 5 years.
That said, hard to think about buying a car with that performance and technology in 5 years for under $30k. Especially if older S's cost $30k at that time.

A crystal ball, but what are others thoughts?
The answer is really up to YOU. Do YOU want the larger Model S or the smaller slightly more nimble Model 3. That is like me asking you which sports coat I should buy.

Then factor in that the Model 3, mostly due to it being a smaller car is also about 30% more efficient at 250 watts/mile versus 330 in the Model S.

Ah, but the model S has lifetime free and transferable charging. Not to make excuses for the S, I really am open to either. Thank you for pointing out the efficiency difference all the same, I like knowing these sort of things.

Looks like that was from a third party dealer.
Aware they disabled it on those cars, so looking at private party.

I still appreciate the post though!
TMC is not the only place people have reported losing FUSC. Some reports that its been pulled from used cars had on their inventory. People were in the process of buying the car and suddenly its no longer there as part of the included configuration. No one asked if these folks had screenshots before and after. The general believe was FUSC was being pulled on used Tesla owned cars to reduce the numbers. No explanation from Tesla. So, you could be right and there also could be others.

I do indeed have the real deal Tesla owned and maintained superchargers right at work - was quite happy when those got installed for sure!

As I understand it, and I'm open to someone saying otherwise, as long as you are supercharging to 80%-85% then it won't hurt it. It is if you were to supercharge to 100% that would not be the best idea.

I read that it’s more the high rate of charge that causes the big degradation. Especially on the 75 packs, there are fewer cells to absorb the high rate of charge and they degrade faster than the 100 packs. There is no way to reduce the charge speed when DC charging. Tesla also counts the number of kW that the car charges at over (I think I read) 40 kW and will limit charge rate after a certain amount. I believe that’s why the urban superchargers are limited to 72 kW, to reduce the long term degradation, since they were designed for people to use as their primary charging method.

I read that it’s more the high rate of charge that causes the big degradation. Especially on the 75 packs, there are fewer cells to absorb the high rate of charge and they degrade faster than the 100 packs. There is no way to reduce the charge speed when DC charging. Tesla also counts the number of kW that the car charges at over (I think I read) 40 kW and will limit charge rate after a certain amount. I believe that’s why the urban superchargers are limited to 72 kW, to reduce the long term degradation, since they were designed for people to use as their primary charging method.

hmm that’s too bad.
It does however somewhat nullify the charging benefit of the 3 for me though

For me, I'll be happy with either. If one is going to cost say $10k less over its life then that is the one I prefer.
You will not know until you have a repair, and then the vastly greater production of the Model 3 may save you a lot of money through either generic or second hand parts. It also seems reasonable to me (although I don't know if this is true yet) that new parts from Tesla will be a lot cheaper for the Model 3 since Tesla does not try to turn service/repair into a profitable venture. If that turns out to be the case it will also show up in lower insurance premiums.

OP: if you do not find the arguments in favor of Model 3 by me and others convincing then you are just looking for validation of your preference to buy a Model S. A fine choice indeed.

You could also try rephrasing your OP, in case anybody is still reading. I suggest something along the lines of "I swap fast cars with gadgets every 3 years or so. If I buy a Tesla, which would be the least expensive ?"

Last edited:
That S has a slow MCU that runs super poorly since the patch that unified the display style with the 3 (think audio popping because it can’t keep up levels of slow). Overly complicated design compared to the 3. Older battery. More expensive repairs. Unless you just need a full sized sedan, why on earth would you choose a model S at this point. I’ve owned both, and apart from useless fluff (like extendo door handles), the 3 is just a far better car.

If that turns out to be the case it will also show up in lower insurance premiums.

Funny you say that ... I just got my renewal yesterday from State Farm.

For the 6-month period ... My collision coverage is $18 more than our Buick Enclave, but comprehensive is $2 less. Liability is $7 less than the Buick.

All told, for 6 months, the Model 3 is $432; the Buick is $413.

It’s interesting to me that liability is less; in other words, they expect to pay less for injuries and such in the Tesla. Collision slightly more. Comprehensive is just interesting to me though. Maybe because it’s smaller, less random damage?

Who knows, but if collision parts costs continue to decline for Tesla, I can see a scenario where it’s one of the cheapest cars to insure .... especially as it’s already seen as one of the safest!