Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2535.png
Well, it’s been a while since I’ve seen negative wholesale pricing…

Oh? This is news to me?
There was that time the dreaded charging-at-16A-instead-of-32A bug but that was fixed a couple of years ago now. Since then charging has been working reliably for me…
Is that a specific IO thing?

With my Powerwalls I am load shifting about 98% of my usage to cheap Go Faster (and soon IO) rates. Tracker can’t beat that.
Ah yes I was referring to some experiences of IO not initiating the charge at all, not a car related problem but more of IO and their setup.

In your case IO will make sense to get the 6 hr windows, if you do experience issues with car charging you can always 'temporarily' turn the intelligent charging part off and charge during the 6hr window.

The only thing I would be concerned about with using IO and a battery is to ensure that when IO activates the charging of the car outside of the 6hr window, that the power is drawn from the grid and not the battery

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
The only thing I would be concerned about with using IO and a battery is to ensure that when IO activates the charging of the car outside of the 6hr window, that the power is drawn from the grid and not the battery
Yes, this is the biggest thing thatbwill make it not quite “set it and forget it”.
It would be wonderful to have an integration between IO and the PWs (charging the batteries at whatever cheap slot is available would be great), but when I emailed Octopus a few months ago they didn’t seem to think that any such integration was in the pipeline.
I suppose there may not be that many PWs out there and they understandably need to put development effort where it will benefit the greatest number of people…

Reactions: Rooster6655
I have noticed recently when charging from around 50% that my MYP is only charging to 98% despite the limit being 100%.

Twice now when I have left IO to do its thing, I have woken up to a missing 2%.

Is this IO stopping short or something else?

I doubt it is related to IO. The only reason I say this is becasue I don't use IO and occasionally see this ... particularly when there is a large discrepancy between daytime and nighttime temperatures. Sometimes you see the percentage returned when the car warms up.

Reactions: browellm
Switched to IO a couple of months ago and have yet to be billed for electricity, is it quarterly or something? Gas is still coming out as normal. Unless it's all free electricity! :)
Mine did the same on the switch. Dropped them a tweet (not that I ever use this platform) as folk on here say it invokes a quicker response. Got it sorted within 30 minutes and an up to date bill.

@octopusenergy

Reactions: a1psx and spooksman
Starting to do my nut in a little bit now IO. Been plugged in for over 2 hours and still no schedule, tried a few things to kick it into life and still nothing. Starting to get a bit more frequent for me stuff like this.

Starting to do my nut in a little bit now IO. Been plugged in for over 2 hours and still no schedule, tried a few things to kick it into life and still nothing. Starting to get a bit more frequent for me stuff like this.
Sometimes opening the Tesla app an ensuring the car is awake will give octopus the chance to communicate with the car and get a schedule

Oh? This is news to me?
There was that time the dreaded charging-at-16A-instead-of-32A bug but that was fixed a couple of years ago now. Since then charging has been working reliably for me…
Is that a specific IO thing?

With my Powerwalls I am load shifting about 98% of my usage to cheap Go Faster (and soon IO) rates. Tracker can’t beat that.

Anyone know if there is a work around for this slower couple of %?
LFP battery so try to charge to 100% once a week, however IO never gets to a true 100% (I.e app never shows notification stating car reached desired charge) only gets to 99-100%, but even at 100% I need to bump charge and let it charge for another 20-30mins (outside of the cheap rate) to get a full charge ,
Im not concerned in the extra charge other than if it’s going to slowly mess with the battery??

Other than that been on IO for about 3-4months and has been fine (other the once did not charge, which luckily didn’t affect my day)

Anyone know if there is a work around for this slower couple of %?
LFP battery so try to charge to 100% once a week, however IO never gets to a true 100% (I.e app never shows notification stating car reached desired charge) only gets to 99-100%, but even at 100% I need to bump charge and let it charge for another 20-30mins (outside of the cheap rate) to get a full charge ,
Im not concerned in the extra charge other than if it’s going to slowly mess with the battery??

Other than that been on IO for about 3-4months and has been fine (other the once did not charge, which luckily didn’t affect my day)
100% is a final SOC figure which charging hits then stops. All other increments below this reach the figure but continue display until the charge reaches the next increment ie 95...time to reach...96 etc .

If charging to 95% for instance it will stop as it hits that % but if you were to override & continue for several minutes more it will still be at 95% until eventually reaching 96%. Driving immediately when charging stops at 95%, SOC will drop to 94% very rapidly but if it stopped charging just before 96% it will still be showing 95% for a longer duration/distance.

So the overnight charge will reach 100% and stop but as it 'only just' arrived at 100% it doesn't take long to drop back to 99% & then stay there. I often set IO to 90% and wake up to 89% which can remain for more than a day or more as it gradually drops back to 88%. On occasions when I awake very close to the time that charging finished I do sometimes see 90%.

If I really wanted 90% I set would IO to 91% and then next morning and for much of the day if untouched the car will still show 90% (I tried it out once to see but of course this can't be done with 100%)

Temperature can also affect this but personally I don't worry about 'missing' 1%