Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t edit my previous post, but the SC said roughly 46% of the fleet is on 2018.28.5, and a large portion of them are having the issue. They’re getting dozens of calls about it a day, and have known about the issue for 2 weeks.

There may be a firmware fix, but they can’t push it OTA so I got an appointment for Wednesday. I think they took pity on me since I’m scheduled for a long drive starting Thursday.

My frustration is that I only got the update a few days ago. Why did they keep rolling it out for 2 weeks with a known issue this severe?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Hank42
I can’t edit my previous post, but the SC said roughly 46% of the fleet is on 2018.28.5, and a large portion of them are having the issue. They’re getting dozens of calls about it a day, and have known about the issue for 2 weeks.

There may be a firmware fix, but they can’t push it OTA so I got an appointment for Wednesday. I think they took pity on me since I’m scheduled for a long drive starting Thursday.

My frustration is that I only got the update a few days ago. Why did they keep rolling it out for 2 weeks with a known issue this severe?

I agree with your frustration, and it's part of why I don't like Tesla's rollout strategy. The advantage of a tiered rollout is supposed to be the ability to minimize the number of people affected by a regression by halting the rollout. In this case they're still slowly rolling out the update, as if by some automated process, regardless of how initial reception was.

So now you have people who don't want to be hit by regressions instead be hit by them anyway. Meanwhile all of the enthusiasts are still begging for the latest update and even bugging their service center to push it. Seems like the worst of both worlds.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Hank42
They are releasing updates with a vengeance this month. In the last 30 days I've gotten an update notice, ignored it for a couple weeks, it auto-updated anyway, got another update notice, I allowed it to update and this morning another notice. I'm currently on 2018.34.1 and the most obvious bug is that the album art doesn't update on the gauge cluster unless I leave the main screen audio app visible. I usually leave the map full screen on the main screen. Maybe I'll let the newest update run tonight and see what I get. Tesla updates are like a box of chocolates...

They are releasing updates with a vengeance this month. In the last 30 days I've gotten an update notice, ignored it for a couple weeks, it auto-updated anyway, got another update notice, I allowed it to update and this morning another notice. I'm currently on 2018.34.1 and the most obvious bug is that the album art doesn't update on the gauge cluster unless I leave the main screen audio app visible. I usually leave the map full screen on the main screen. Maybe I'll let the newest update run tonight and see what I get. Tesla updates are like a box of chocolates...
I’ve had 34.1 for a few weeks and the screen reboot just started happening to me this afternoon on the drive home. Rebooted automatically 3 times

I’ve had 34.1 for a few weeks and the screen reboot just started happening to me this afternoon on the drive home. Rebooted automatically 3 times
[knock on wood] Luckily I haven't seen any random reboots.

Last night I let my car update and reboot and this morning I saw the release notes when I got in. It looks like the same "we have a PIN" release note it showed me after updating to 2018.34.1. That was a little strange. The About shows 2018.36.2 and I still have the problem with out of sync album art. I tried some more experiments to isolate cause...

Main screen showing full screen map and cluster showing Media on left side. Album art matches song title. Listening to streaming 80's Hits. Use steering button to advance to next track. Song title updates appropriately, but album art remains on previous track. Switch to split main screen between Maps and Media and it shows the same mismatched album art and song title as the cluster does. Advance track again, the main split screen corrects itself as does the cluster. As long as I keep the main screen split with Media, it works normally.

Is the "Power Off" button in the Settings perform the same function as the reboot using the steering wheel controls? I've rebooted several times, but never powered off.

Reactions: Achilles
Hello, anyone know when firmware 9 is supposed to rollout in europe?

I’d just love to get the update in the U.S. My 75D is still on 36.2 and eagerly awaiting V9.

For what it’s worth - I had never connected my car to WiFi until October 5th. I immediately got updated to “new maps” but that has been it. Been connected to WiFi every day now at work (can’t connect at night...live in a condo w/ a concrete parking garage).

Keeping my fingers crossed anyway they push it to me.

Yeah it's trickling out so slowly it's apalling. Looks like they put a bit of effort in to get .40 out for the M3s, only judging from my YouTube search of "Tesla V9".
I can see how that's really cool for all M3 owners, receiving a pretty massive functionality update after a pretty short ownership time (after all most owners only have their cars since about 6 months max), but for me who's up-traded his AP1 Model S for AP2 and has waited two years for any really new functionality (most progress was just playing catch up to AP1, and signage recognition still isn't here), all the delays start to feel like a series of overpromise and underdeliver.
They should really restrict Elon from tweeting anything in regards to Tesla anymore, he's just creating high expectations which are increasingly harder to dial back due to imprecise wording.
And now removing FSD as an option due to "confusion" really doesn't help. Certainly it would be cool if it was only due to the retrofit fleet size becoming too big, but with anything Tesla now, I'm tending to scepticism.

Oh how I hate that bipolarity between enthusiasm and scepticism.