Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All we know for sure is that it can be "activated" later. No one knows whether the activation is software only as no one has done it yet.
All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

We are excited to announce that, as of today, all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory – including Model 3 – will have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

DPX2.JPG

Surely EAP > FSD is pure software upgrade. And no car has the "Fully Autonomous" version of the PX2. Tesla's hoping that all them computing powerz isn't necessary beacause of their huge fleet of cars (experience). And as a bonus it's cheaper!

But hey, bets have been placed in this thread before so why not go again

EDIT: I'm a little curious about what Nvidia exactly means by "Point-to-point travel" vs "fully autonomous driving". No question that we're expecting fully autonomous point-to-point driving! But, most of the time you sit your butt in the car aren't you planning on going from point A to point B?

So the "fully autonomous" PX2-version must be designed to allow for something more than this regular driving. Perhaps just thoughtless cruising around in the streets, hoping to pick up paying customers?

Anyway, the SAE definitions don't differenciate between "Point-to-point" and "Full auto". They're only concern is to which degree the driver is expected to intervene. L4 is no intervening, but allows for limiting the system to special road conditions or special areas/roads. L5 is also no intervening, but no limits as to where in the world it's supposed to work.

Last edited:
I would imagine that the point to point version struggles with busy urban environments.

I get the point though - Tesla exceeded expectations with EyeQ3 so maybe they will be able to do it again and squeeze more out of the new hardware than Nvidia expect.

Plus, we still don't know exactly what's in the box...

EDIT: I'm a little curious about what Nvidia exactly means by "Point-to-point travel" vs "fully autonomous driving". No question that we're expecting fully autonomous point-to-point driving! But, most of the time you sit your butt in the car aren't you planning on going from point A to point B?
There are other parts to driving such as parking in a parking lot, pulling into a garage, if the car could go charge itself, etc. These are more complicated than acting as a taxi or chauffeur.

That's not to say you couldn't do autonomous driving with the two GPU setup. They are just suggesting that depending on your needs and software efficiency, there is no issue using multiple units in a single car.

Ok I don't "know" it but it seems pretty obvious given the physical dimensions. Also read my arguments earlier in the thread about Elon's statement about it's computing power (12 vs 24).

Also I have a hard time believing they would cool a double decker "Fully autonomous" version with only a couple of fans inside the dash.

I might be wrong, but I think I'm right.

...and this obvious fan noise before AP2 has really started doing any real work?
raises a few potential concerns as the HW is increasingly utilised in the future ...

hey - maybe it will mask the motor whine at least ;)

Shadow mode has those parts running full time before you have access to all the AP features. It won't get any hotter with software updates.

I wonder how Tesla has issued the waste heat management from Drive PX2.

Where are those vents going?

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)
It appears like there's no special duct in place. Judging from the pictures and the statements by @Henry169, it looks like the vents are just circulating air inside the cavity of the dash. It even seems like there's a harness going straight over the fans. So it can't get *that* hot in there