Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla makes a statement saying MCU2 is a requirement, then they would be obligated to upgrade those folks with mcu1 who purchased FSD. In a similar manner to the cameras. If they stay quiet on the matter, then folks will eventually cave in and upgrade on their own (or eventually lose interest). Quite a shame, but this is a peek into how the company thinks

It seems pretty clear to me that MCU2 is a requirement. I wish tesla would see that and make it so.
I don’t think Tesla is unclear on this.

I wonder if Tesla is concerned that the visualizations could be argued to be required for the beta as a driver assist. If so, it could be a liability to Tesla under the beta where it wouldn’t be on final release.

If HW4 and 4K cameras get released on the current Ryzen MCU it will be interesting when the DIY crowd retrofits those cameras and HW.

What defines "final release?" Half the things in my 2017 MS are still in Beta.
When it goes to everyone who has purchased it, without any conditions, like them having to opt-in to an early release/beta. (That is not likely going to be the release that they have announced would happen by the end of this year, that will still be an early opt-in release, just without the Safety Score requirement.)

Reactions: outdoors
Quite a shame, but this is a peek into how the company thinks
All true. But it's no big surprise. Tesla clearly has abandoned their legacy base. From the refusal to honor the warranty on our yellow screens because we had the gall to drive our cars in daylight, to the deliberate SS fiasco not mentioning the need for new cameras putting hundreds through that nut drill knowing it was futile, to trickling out the camera upgrades for over a year.

Heck, they used to practically throw a ticker tape parade when you bought a car - I've had more attention from Toyota.

I admire you sticking to principle but I doubt MCU1 will ever see FSD, nor will Elon offer a free upgrade. It's a lot easier and more profitable in the short run to just ignore the issue. We have very little leverage. If legally challenged they could claim it's "under development", which means they think about how long it will be until folks back off. Truly a lose/lose for all parties.

Reactions: dbldwn02
They used to practically throw a ticker tape parade when you bought a car - I've had more attention from Toyota.

I admire you sticking to principle but I doubt MCU1 will ever see FSD, nor will Elon offer a free upgrade. It's a lot easier and more profitable in the short run to just ignore the issue. We have very little leverage. If legally challenged they could claim it's "under development", which means they think about how long it will be until folks back off. Truly a lose/lose for all parties.
I don't want to agree with you, but it's looking more and more like this is the correct take. Unlike the old days, it's no longer about keeping the OG owners happy. Getting a Roadster serviced is basically impossible. The pandemic sucked for Tesla, but their silver lining was killing off the whole in-person hoopla when you picked up your car. Now it's done with as little human contact as possible to prevent new owners from being able to call out defects in person.

Reactions: KArnold
and refund the MCU2 upgrade fees to those who also bought FSD?
Nah. If they end up needing to upgrade the MCU for free to support FSD, they will probably software lock out all of the extra features/capabilities, so all you would get is the ability for FSD to operate. If you want the live-sentry camera view, or other MCU2 features there would probably be an upgrade you would have to purchase. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Nah. If they end up needing to upgrade the MCU for free to support FSD, they will probably software lock out all of the extra features/capabilities, so all you would get is the ability for FSD to operate. If you want the live-sentry camera view, or other MCU2 features there would probably be an upgrade you would have to purchase. 🤣
this would be only fair.. knowing tesla, they will not do anything as there is no recourse for the customer...