Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find Dirty Tesla's evaluation somewhat encouraging. He's one of the "OG" beta testers who runs sensible tests, and I like the clear view of the screen he gets from his HDMI hack. Plus his environment is fairly similar to where I am, though we have fewer roundabouts.

It appears the 10.12 has noticeable improvements in handling stop signs and intersections, and looks somewhat "smoother". I hope the rest of us get it soon.

I don't like the cabin camera monitoring either. But with the exception of some anecdotes of a super-sensitive camera, it's quite hard to get a penalizing nag. You have to be blatantly not looking forward (over 8-10sec) to get a nag. Or you're using your phone.

If you want FSDb to earnestly test it and report issues, then paying attention is kind of required, so the cabin camera is a non-issue.
Or dip your head with sunglasses on. (Like you’re looking over a pair of reading glasses). It gets all sorts of annoyed with that. I think it believes you’re looking down and since it can’t see your eyes it goes “wake up jack”. My names not even jack.

Last edited:
FSD BETA 10.11 KEEPS TAKING ME TO MY NEIGHBORS HOUSE AND NOT MINE COMING HOME...!...?...!! IS THERE SOMETHING I SHOULD KNOW?...LOL-- ALL IS UPDATED AND REBOOTED .
Wiki …

With the advent of the bulletin board system, or BBS, and later the Internet, typing messages in all caps commonly became closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behavior, and may be considered rude. Its equivalence to shouting traces back to at least 1984 and before the Internet, back to printed typography usage of all capitals to mean shouting.[16]

Yup! within 30 seconds and in the first block “very smooth!” 🤣🤣🤣

I also love in the first 10 seconds, he says "that's good. It did not run her over" referring to a pedestrian. What low standards! I would certainly hope FSD Beta would not run over a pedestrian that is clear as day walking in front of the car.

I also love in the first 10 seconds, he says "that's good. It did not run her over" referring to a pedestrian. What low standards! I would certainly hope FSD Beta would not run over a pedestrian that is clear as day walking in front of the car.
Yes, but I interpreted that more as a joking comment, not ‘low standards.’

It’s hard to say from the videos. Overall it did seem a bit more confident, which is good. one of my most frequent ‘interventions’ is to goose the accelerator because it’s a bit too timid at proceeding. Usually that just annoys other drivers but when there’s more traffic there are times that it’s potentially dangerous because it’s too slow to take the opportunity but will proceed and turn in front of a car.

To be honest, Omar’s route was not a terribly difficult one and one that 11.2 would have done fairly well on so it’s hard to say much from his video. Yield signs have historically been difficult for FSD which automatically means traffic circles will be difficult. It looks like that might be improved a bit but still not totally fixed.

My biggest problem has been 11.2’s habit of veering into turn lanes and getting confused and none of the videos really showed situations like this. It appears phantom blinkers are still an issue - hopefully that doesn’t mean the lanes are also an issue but we’ll see. If they fixed the lane selection problems it would probably eliminate ⅔’s of my interventions.

Has anyone seen if 12.1 can handle blinking red lights or not?

Reactions: mach.89 and Phlier
Wiki …

With the advent of the bulletin board system, or BBS, and later the Internet, typing messages in all caps commonly became closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behavior, and may be considered rude. Its equivalence to shouting traces back to at least 1984 and before the Internet, back to printed typography usage of all capitals to mean shouting.[16]
Okay I will change it to small letters.

My biggest problem has been 11.2’s habit of veering into turn lanes and getting confused and none of the videos really showed situations like this.
Exactly what I'm experiencing, too.
Is that when the lane splits ? It takes a few seconds to figure out which lane to use.
Yup.

It is very common here to have a single lane road split into many lanes as you approach a traffic light. There's one instance in particular that really causes the planner to flip right the heck out... a single lane becomes two left turn lanes, and two straight lanes. These lanes form right close to the traffic light, which doesn't give the planner much of a chance to get its ducks in a row. It also has a problem with two lane roads that have this scenario, too, but not at a 100% reproducible rate like single lane roads.

If you approach one of these type of intersections planning to make a left hand turn, FSD will often move over into the "suicide lane" before the left turn lanes actually become demarcated on the asphalt. Yeah... I've surprised a few people by already being in the left turn lane before it officially exists! But hey, I did it because I needed to hit the almighty Report button, so you just go ahead and break that horn right off, fella. :D

So that covers left turns... see my earlier post for right turn shenanigans.

Is that when the lane splits ? It takes a few seconds to figure out which lane to use.
Yes and no - when the a turn lane splits off from the main lane, FSD will take the tun lane instead of going straight. I suppose you could say the lane is dividing, but it’s dividing into a straight lane and a turn lane. The thing is, FSD will realize it’s in the wrong lane and put the blinker on saying it’s going to merge back into the primary lane to go straight, but the blue course line on the screen will indicate the car is going to turn.

In the spot pictured below, FSD will veer to the right virtually every time, put the left turn signal on but actually end up turning right. There are numerous spots where it does this. As I look at the map, I’m trying to figure out if all of them are areas where there’s both a left and right turn lane And I can’t be sure, but that may be part of the issue.
1653172921959.png

Haven’t taken a ton of time to look at videos, just watched a couple quick minutes of Dirty Tesla’s. To me it looks like basically the same thing with incremental improvements in places. I don’t put much stock in it “doing something it didn’t do before” unless it is reliably doing it - hard to assess from the videos.

But sounds like there’s still some jerkiness. The visualization having a longer range is nice but it was clear before that the vehicle could see things well outside the visualization in prior versions.

Looking forward to trying it out! Completely impossible to assess quality just from videos. I am hoping it is a LOT more aggressive on stops and starts and turns, and that perhaps they can tune this with the aggressive/moderate/sedate driving profiles for those who have different preferences (currently those settings do nothing significant, really (they have an effect, just not a helpful one)).