Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the software update alert for our Model 3 which already has the beta. Can't install it just now 'cause we're about to shuffle kids around to after-school activities.

I have not gotten anything yet for the Refresh X with a 98 safety score. 🤞🤞 (I'm so so ready to be able to set the non-highway speed limit to more than +5mph!)

Ok after this last time and two days and several hundred miles 12.2 is a major step backwards.

What it gets right there are notable but minor improvements over 10.2.

What it gets wrong it gets worse than any other version.

I’m surprised this is going full roll out.

Examples.

There is a fork near me that I drive several times daily. It always has clean right of way and typically slows way down or even stops in the middle of cross traffic. No messages about why. Anyway today it didn’t pause and was going a normal speed - for ONCE. Only for it SLAM on the brakes full from 40 MPH, lock up the seat belt and throw me forward. Bad bad beta.

There’s also an area where it has to make a left at an angle that’s kind of a blind turn. It always proceeds slow and careful. Often too much. Today it pulled out sideways blocking all lanes of traffic. When it saw a car headed to t bone me it just dead stopped in front of the car. I immediately took over to try and get in the right lane and out of oncoming traffic. It didn’t disengage immediately and instead when it saw I was trying to take control and it started fighting me for control and itself almost t boned a parked car on the other side of the road.

It was going straight through an intersection but started bearing to the left and little and was either going to his the corner panel or sideswipe the car on the opposite side waiting to make a left. Regular drive no problems usually. Fought me for control again.

Going though another intersection with a big dip and then an incline. It barreled through and bottomed out on the dip and then again on the incline. Regular drive. Not usually a problem.

I may sit out 12.2 at this point and wait for 10.13.2, 11.0.0 or whatever is next.

Last edited:
Yep, definitely "game changer" and "fire". Lots of progress I see

*still wanders into the middle of unmarked roads at random
* phantom braking still a constant menace in the city; sometimes it’s somewhat explainable (eg trying to yield to pedestrians who aren’t crossing) and sometimes not
* still hesitates off the line both following cars in heavy traffic and across some intersections
* jerky longitudinal control; sometimes when it finally moves with the proper amount of confidence it wimps out again and does a hard slowdown in the middle of the maneuver, Eg unprotected left where it braked hard right as it was completing the turn, then accelerated hard, then braked hard again before accelerating normally. Happened at least a couple times

I don't want to amplify people who are consistently negative (I prefer just straight facts rather than constant bashing), but I'll just go ahead and do it anyway...

I don't understand why people continuously think each revision of the beta is going to be a game changer, or "🔥." Obviously each one will be incremental improvement, with additional bugs, possibly crippling ones. This isn't our first rodeo. There are not going to be any big step changes for the foreseeable future. Expectations should be low for every release - think about a 2-3 year timeframe until it's actually (maybe) decent - that would be fantastically fast progress! You didn't buy your car and FSD to only have it for 5 years, after all - you're keeping it for 10-15 years.

I also don't understand why some people are so sanguine about the beta the way it is. To be clear, many people here are quite matter-of-fact about its limitations. But it's bizarre to me that anyone thinks it's good. Anyway, this list of limitations you list should not be a surprise. I'm not sure what Tesla's end goal here is, and they're clearly a long way off from any goal they may have, but these limitations should not be a surprise, and maybe they're deliberate (I definitely don't think so, but it is possible that some of them are).

But it seems to me the best thing to do to get the beta to be better faster is to complain about all the ways in which it sucks, not say "this should be expected that it doesn't drive the way we do." It's not clear that Tesla listens directly to feedback from testers, but at least if the overall sentiment here is realistic and less sycophantic (note, this does not mean complaining about everything and bashing Tesla & Elon at every opportunity - it means sticking to describing the limitations - just the facts) maybe that will motivate Tesla to get their act together. Unfortunately Elon seems stuck in an echo chamber (I think the algorithm fooled him somehow; he may need to adjust his settings), so it's not clear whether it will help. Anyway, it should not feel like the car is under computer control!

Also, reminder to users: the more interventions the better. Intervene! Override that accelerator! Don't let it suck and suffer; put it out of its misery and take pride in intervening BEFORE it screws up, seamlessly - that is how success is measured. No one should be able to tell that you are using FSDb (b). It's not clear whether it will help progress in any way, since this is Tesla, but it is undoubtedly better than not intervening.

Anyway, I'm holding off on installing this one for now; giving it some time to brew. After a couple days it should be pretty clear whether it is safe to install.

It's not clear that Tesla listens directly to feedback from testers, but at least if the overall sentiment here is realistic and less sycophantic (note, this does not mean complaining about everything and bashing Tesla & Elon at every opportunity - it means sticking to describing the limitations - just the facts) maybe that will motivate Tesla to get their act together. Unfortunately Elon seems stuck in an echo chamber (I think the algorithm fooled him somehow; he may need to adjust his settings), so it's not clear whether it will help.
He gets actual disengagement / intervention stats. Actually a lot more, I guess.

On twitter obviously there are the sycophants looking for their 2 seconds in limelight when/if Elon replies.

BTW, I've to say - I search youtube often for individual Beta releases. I don't see pure click bait or sycophant titles. I see either simple titles "FSD Beta 10.12.2 - First Impressions" or even negative ones "Tesla FSD Beta 10.12.2 handles construction, makes other mistakes" or "Tesla FSD Beta 10.12.2 is almost unusable for me". May be my search results are different from others (based on channels I've watched before .... which are the ones who use non-click-bait titles).

Reactions: CEEV
Is the right of way clear because the other side has stop sign ?

Correct. I have no yield and no stops. Other portions have proper stop line, stop painted in street and stop signs.

10.2 got it right a few times. But it’s always been a problem for beta. Never gives any waiting for turn, checking for visibility, creeping or any messages. Today on 12.2 was by FAR the worst drives.

Quick question since I didn’t see it mentioned (or I missed it). Does this version increase the max speed to 85 mph while in AP?

That's about the only reason to upgrade to 10.12.2 at this point. Being able to do 85 made all the difference on my drives yesterday and today. Only rarely would 90 have given me 99% coverage. Quite happy with 85 over previous 80.

Reactions: Natal and tillerty
More 10.12.2 testing today. Took a drive on a fairly busy two-lane road about 20 miles.

Good:

There is a small town with flashing yellow lights strung above the road at a fire station. Usually (though not always) FSD beta will try to stop here. Today, it just drove on through. Maybe this is an improvement, though once in a row does not a trend make.

Still seems more assertive on left and right turns.

No Red Wheel of Death (yet?) despite driving on all types of roads from unlined neighborhood streets to interstate highways.

Bad:

Incorrectly moved into a left turn lane twice. Once at an intersection where there was no intent to turn within many miles. The other time was premature to an intersection a couple hundred feet ahead. This is the same problem from 10.11.2.

While squeezing between a car and the curb to get into a right hand turn lane, the car started screaming for no apparent reason. Completed the maneuver, but no indication what the problem was.

Tried to run a stop sign! In a neighborhood, a postal vehicle was occluding a stop sign at the point where FSD would usually start slowing down. Even though the sign became visible after passing the postal vehicle, FSD did not react and would have run the sign had I not forcibly braked. This is a major fail.

On some right hand turns, the car will stop in the middle of the road even though there is no traffic. Even so, the car is well past being committed and should keep going. Other times, right turns are othen made with a herky-jerky motion. This is a step back from the previous version.

FSD still hogging the lane on narrow unlined roads.

Ugly:

When start off from a stop, there is an initial hard impulse followed by a very short drop in acceleration then pickup of speed. The initial impulse feels stronger than before and is a bit annoying. The car needs to ramp up the acceleration more smoothly.

I finally got the update notification after trying the trick of switching the software update slider from advanced to normal and then back to advanced. It took about 10 minutes, but then I received a notification on my phone that an update was ready. For the record, I understand that this could also be completely coincidental, but it's funny that I just read about this "trick", tried it and then received the update shortly thereafter. I began the installation and it got to at least 10% done installing (last I had checked). At some point, however, it failed. I received a mobile notification that the software update had failed. I went to the car to check and saw this:

Tesla_update_failed.jpg

Update did not complete successfully. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car.

Am I the lucky winner of this particular error, or has anyone else gotten this? I'm actually not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing, with some of the reported behavior for this update.