Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a improvement with 12.2 - the intersection pictured below has a railroad track about 10 m before the intersection and a right turn lane separated from the other lanes by a median. In the past FSD would either not know where to stop or would simply treat it like a yield lane and go barreling right through a red light. This evening it actually proceeded past the railroad tracks to the light, stopped then turned - perfect!

1654736943291.png

I remember the first time I used a lane with a bike image printed on the pavement (I found out this means it is a "shared" bike and vehicle lane). Car went all jerky on me, as though it was physically being forced to run over bikers. ("OMG - what do I do now!")

Car is much more laid back on this stretch these days.

There is a road near my house with the dashed line space separating the bike lane from the driving lane. FSD always thinks it’s a lane to drive in and tries to merge into it
Probobly different in different states and part of the problem. In Georgia the bike lines are separated by a solid white line. If there is a right turn the line may become a dashed line meaning a car can share/move into the lane to turn. If it stays sold then the car can't use the bike line. Unsafe idea (cars should NEVER be allowed to merge into bikes) but cars always seem more important than VRUs.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Another 12.2 success this morning. FSD was starting to turn left (no stop required). A bus was on the side street with a stop sign in the right turn lane. In the middle of the turn, a car pulled up to the stop sign (actually pulled beyond the stop line,) suddenly appearing from behind the bus. FSD quickly adjusted it’s turn path to turn wider and avoid the car. It stuttered a bit and wasn’t as smooth as a human driver would have done it but it didn’t stop or freak out at all. Not perfect, but still well done and very acceptable. :)
1654782074650.png

Another 12.2 success this morning. FSD was starting to turn left (no stop required). A bus was on the side street with a stop sign in the right turn lane. In the middle of the turn, a car pulled up to the stop sign (actually pulled beyond the stop line,) suddenly appearing from behind the bus. FSD quickly adjusted it’s turn path to turn wider and avoid the car. It stuttered a bit and wasn’t as smooth as a human driver would have done it but it didn’t stop or freak out at all. Not perfect, but still well done and very acceptable. :)
View attachment 814554
I prefer a wider arc at the very beginning instead of going into the T Bone lane which it often does.

Fair question, I define ‘loyal customer’ as someone that bought FSD years ago. They still need to opt into the beta queue and meet requirements.

Assuming Tesla has more customers who want the beta than slots available then they should set a minimum qualification criteria, then add people based on the date they bought FSD.
Well, we don’t know for sure that they’re not doing that, or at least Trying to, but more than that, it’s quite possible and even likely that doing that would not meet the testing requirements. If I were adding beta testers I would want a testing cohort that covered as much of the country as possible and as many driving conditions (city, suburbs, country, etc) as possible. If they have 5000 people trying to get in to FSD beta in Palo Alto but no one participating in Fargo I would expect the person who signs up in Fargo to get in sooner, just because they need the data.

Another potential factor is equipment. We know Tesla has updated the equipment in the cars. It may be that newer cars are better equipped to run the beta software. (This is just a guess, I have no idea if it’s true or not.)

’All things being equal’ I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your idea but I suspect all things are not actually equal.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
I prefer a wider arc at the very beginning instead of going into the T Bone lane which it often does.
If you have a clear view of the lanes and know there’s no one coming then a closer arc is fine but if there’s an obstructed view like there was here then swinging wider is the safer, more defensive option. In FSD’s defense, though, the car that pulled out pulled out well beyond the stop sign and did so directly and fairly quickly. The proper course would have been to stop or at least slow significantly, waiting for the bus to proceed so he would have a clear view since he had a stop sign and was required to yield.

Im looking at the pic..
This.

LOL at some being impressed (in 2022...5 years after the car was supposed to go from NYC to LA all by itself) by it doing what it should be doing..in the first place. "look! It took the proper arc when it made a left turn. And it avoided hitting a stationary car in the process! This is amazing!"

🤣 🤣

Im looking at the pic..

This.

LOL at some being impressed (in 2022...5 years after the car was supposed to go from NYC to LA all by itself) by it doing what it should be doing..in the first place. "look! It took the proper arc when it made a left turn. And it avoided hitting a stationary car in the process! This is amazing!"

🤣 🤣
No, the car wasn’t stationary, it pulled out from behind the bus while FSD was in the middle of the turn. Oops - sorry, that was in the post but wouldn’t let you make another trollish comment. 🙄

I had an interesting one yesterday, driving on a 4 lane road, split by a turn lane.

1. The car constantly wanted to be in the left lane, rather than the right most lane, even with nobody around.
2. A truck in front of me changed lanes to go around a slower (but still at road speed) car, as soon as the truck moved over and my car saw the white car it tapped the breaks in an "oh ****" manner then continued perfectly fine. Was interesting to see it play exactly like a human would if they had no clue if the car was stopped or just going slower.

Well, we don’t know for sure that they’re not doing that, or at least Trying to, but more than that, it’s quite possible and even likely that doing that would not meet the testing requirements. If I were adding beta testers I would want a testing cohort that covered as much of the country as possible and as many driving conditions (city, suburbs, country, etc) as possible. If they have 5000 people trying to get in to FSD beta in Palo Alto but no one participating in Fargo I would expect the person who signs up in Fargo to get in sooner, just because they need the data.

Another potential factor is equipment. We know Tesla has updated the equipment in the cars. It may be that newer cars are better equipped to run the beta software. (This is just a guess, I have no idea if it’s true or not.)

’All things being equal’ I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your idea but I suspect all things are not actually equal.
I completely agree with everything you said. 1st priority is the testing needs of the team. Just when all things are equal show some love to the longest waiting customers.

Reactions: sleepydoc
If you have a clear view of the lanes and know there’s no one coming then a closer arc is fine but if there’s an obstructed view like there was here then swinging wider is the safer, more defensive option. In FSD’s defense, though, the car that pulled out pulled out well beyond the stop sign and did so directly and fairly quickly. The proper course would have been to stop or at least slow significantly, waiting for the bus to proceed so he would have a clear view since he had a stop sign and was required to yield.
I just drove the same route again, this time there were no cars at all. The arc that the car took was what I would consider a completely appropriate path. I can’t be positive, but as I looked at it passing through the second time I think the bus was actually sitting with its nose already beyond the curb of the street it was turning on to meaning the other car that came out causing my MY to swerve a bit actually came well into the intersection.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy
I've used now 10.12 for 3-4 days. Had a FSD beta break when I changed from 3 to Y. Used 10.5/10.6 about 6 months ago and based on my driving this week I'd say I'm not too impressed with it.

2 things on my drive today:

When single lane split into 2 suddenly (there was a car close ahead of me, so the cameras couldn't 'see' the split well ahead of time), when the split came, the car jerked about and that movement wasn't fun!

A slow moving car ahead of me - single lane, double yellow lines to my left. And the car pops up a message 'changing lanes to a faster lane'! And it swerved to the left of the solid yellow!!! I immediately took control and got back to right lane; but that was really scary. I tapped the videocam icon so I hope they take a look at why that happened. Never had such an experience with the older FSD versions.