Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping this will help solve what I see as my biggest source of error. FSD will sometimes move into a turn lane when no turn is imminent. If it wasn't paying attention to road markings then that would help explain the problem.
I would guess the Autopilot Vision team was hoping/expecting that the "simple" approach of adding more training data with "road markings" would be picked up by the general vision component which outputs a rich visual representation from the 8 camera views. I think it did somewhat work but also led to some odd behaviors when an arrow was partially or only briefly visible as it could look like some other similar but actually different situation.

Having an explicit module for road markings should have crisp input signals (as well as strong "negative" signal if there isn't actually a road marking) feeding into the language component that actually predicts lanes and their topology resulting in "improves lane topology error at intersections by 38.9%."

And if you are going to need to add road markings anyway, then why not add it from the start? To me, it makes more sense to add road markings and other things to have that robust system from the start rather than have an unreliable system that eventually becomes more reliable when you finally add what you should have added sooner.
It is a matter of time. They wanted to start testing their code and refining it before it is feature complete. They haven't released it yet, so they are still on the "adding from the start" phase in my book.

Employee rollout today, should see wide rollout next week.

I like your optimism.
Definitely optimistic but historically the public version went out a week after the employee's received it.

If you see the map here - and count the days between introduction of a release and its wide rollout - there is quite a bit of variance. Some releases like 10.12.2 have come about a week. Some others have taken two or more weeks (10.10 to 10.10.2 is 15 days, 10.69 to 10.69.2 is 20 days etc).

1667326019299.png

This is where I don't quite agree with Tesla's design philosophy. They seem to start with the bare bones and then work up based on what they need. I would prefer if they just started with what they need for a robust system from the start. Sure, it would be great if vision-only could intuit direction of lane without road markings but that is not going to happen 100% all the time. And if you are going to need to add road markings anyway, then why not add it from the start? To me, it makes more sense to add road markings and other things to have that robust system from the start rather than have an unreliable system that eventually becomes more reliable when you finally add what you should have added sooner.

I see it a bit differently. It's not necessarily bare bones to try and solve lane selection in the abstract. If anything it's much more difficult. To put my understanding of Tesla's design philosophy succinctly:

1. Try the difficult, but generalizable solution first, even if common knowledge tells you it won't be possible.
2. Failing that, try the second most generalizable solution.
3. Etc.

It does lead to failures and setbacks more often than not, but sometimes it means Tesla accomplishes what others thought was impossible.

Suggests they did have this in there after all, though unclear if they do have grammar for intersections, as discussed on AI Day
I believe the "Vector Lanes grammar" part is specifically referring to how each "word" is constructed (point indices, topology types, fork/merge reference, spline coefficient), but the overall approach of treating this as a language task with these words in a sentence was introduced back with 10.11. Some parts were already improved with 10.69.2's "Increased recall of forking lanes by 36% by having topological tokens participate in the attention operations of the autoregressive decoder…"

AI Day explained this in the context of an intersection to help show why this complexity was needed, but these lanes predictions are happening all the time well before an intersection, but it's usually not as complex with lanes just continuing straight with the occasional forks and merges of two adjacent lanes. To be clear, forks at an intersection means the lane has more than 1 destination (e.g., straight and turn) and merges could include cross traffic turning into your lane.

Building hand-selected feature detectors is always going to be a stopgap, throwaway measure to get the thing out the door. It's just going to result in tons of complexity and bugs. Why does Tesla care where the lane lines are? All the car needs to do is drive, just ask the network to tell you where humans would have driven, or where humans making a left turn would have driven, etc. Network should go from perception straight to plan.

Same with occupancy networks, especially after railing against Lidar, they go and build a Lidar simulator using vision. Humans don't drive like this, when you drive you don't first build a point cloud around you... It's always going to drive like a robot if they take this approach. And driving like a robot is dangerous.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
but these lanes predictions are happening all the time well before an intersection, but it's usually not as complex with lanes just continuing straight
Yes. And all I am saying is that it is not 100% clear how they are handling intersections and whether they have rolled out all the grammar there. Maybe it all comes together with the rest of the vector lanes grammar, I am not sure. But it’s a more complicated scenario than simple forking and merging, so maybe they are still relying on other methods.

Or maybe it is all there. Future release notes will provide more info one way or another.

. Humans don't drive like this, when you drive you don't first build a point cloud around you... It's always going to drive like a robot if they take this approach.
Humans do understand occlusions (an offshoot of occupancy) and I would argue certainly do effectively build a point cloud of some sort. No one knows what humans do really of course. But have to at least find a way to emulate those basic capabilities.

I don’t think robotic behavior necessarily follows. I think the cause of that lies in planning and decision making and understanding the entire picture in context (a big challenge - no one has solved that in any AI application).

Same with occupancy networks, especially after railing against Lidar, they go and build a Lidar simulator using vision.
Presumably they railed against lidar because they claimed they could perform the same task as lidar equally well in most circumstances with vision. Which is what they are trying to do. It is certainly difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: unk45
All the car needs to do is drive, just ask the network to tell you where humans would have driven, or where humans making a left turn would have driven, etc. Network should go from perception straight to plan.
You are advocating an end-to-end leaning network. Various companies have commented on this - including MobilEye, who say this doesn't work.

Building hand-selected feature detectors is always going to be a stopgap, throwaway measure to get the thing out the door. It's just going to result in tons of complexity and bugs.
Special feature detectors do add complexity, and that goes against the learnings of AlphaGo's hand-crafted heuristic features replaced with AlphaZero's "stack more layers" approach. But doing so might have benefits other than just getting things out the door sooner. Maybe Tesla did see that their existing network architecture could learn lanes correctly in their much larger networks used by the offline autolabeler, but practically that network can't run in the time constraints needed for driving.

So potentially the custom detection won't be needed in the future, but at least for now with the existing compute budget, this is what Tesla needs to do.

Reactions: loquitur
Special feature detectors do add complexity, and that goes against the learnings of AlphaGo's hand-crafted heuristic features replaced with AlphaZero's "stack more layers" approach. But doing so might have benefits other than just getting things out the door sooner. Maybe Tesla did see that their existing network architecture could learn lanes correctly in their much larger networks used by the offline autolabeler, but practically that network can't run in the time constraints needed for driving.

So potentially the custom detection won't be needed in the future, but at least for now with the existing compute budget, this is what Tesla needs to do.
At least Tesla's approach doesn't prevent them from going end-to-end in the future, unlike some other companies. Is hand-tuning a policy around gore zones and lane markers and traffic cones going to accrue to Optimus? If you solve driving in the right way, you lead straight into cooking and cleaning robots.

Last edited:
You are advocating an end-to-end leaning network. Various companies have commented on this - including MobilEye, who say this doesn't work.
Of course driving is going to be end-to-end, that's how everything eventually ends up. If you want to build a detector for cars in 2022, you don't make a wheel detector, and a hood detector, and a door detector, and a brake light detector. That's how it worked a decade ago. Today you just ask the network to tell you where entire cars are.

Looks like 10.69.3 is utilizing 2022.36.* stack. Good to hear as I'm currently on 2022.28.*

Employee rollout today, should see wide rollout next week.
Haven't you learned by now never to assume dates with FSD.
Definitely optimistic but historically the public version went out a week after the employee's received it.
We know this will be a major release so one could logically expect a longer employee testing period.

I would guess the Autopilot Vision team was hoping/expecting that the "simple" approach of adding more training data with "road markings" would be picked up by the general vision component which outputs a rich visual representation from the 8 camera views. I think it did somewhat work but also led to some odd behaviors when an arrow was partially or only briefly visible as it could look like some other similar but actually different situation.

Having an explicit module for road markings should have crisp input signals (as well as strong "negative" signal if there isn't actually a road marking) feeding into the language component that actually predicts lanes and their topology resulting in "improves lane topology error at intersections by 38.9%."
I’m surprised they didn’t have this already - the computer already rendered the arrows on the display so clearly they were identifying them. If they took the time to identify them why not actually use the data?

I’m surprised they didn’t have this already - the computer already rendered the arrows on the display so clearly they were identifying them. If they took the time to identify them why not actually use the data?

Everything Tesla deploys has to work in a large variety of edge cases, USA/Canada wide. Something that may seem obvious in most situations may not work in that final 1% of cases, and Tesla has to solve even the last 1% of cases before deploying this stuff.

That's why even something "simple" like traffic controls / lights took a long time, because as we know, there are swinging traffic lights, lights that are broken, lights pointed in odd directions, what lights correspond to which lanes, etc. Etc.

Had a pretty good 16 mile drive on FSD Beta 10.69.2 today. No safety disengagements but a couple of interventions.

Good
Lane changes were super smooth. Car smoothly moved over into turn-only lanes.
Lane keeping was very solid.
No phantom braking.
Handled intersection with only stop sign really well. Waited its turn and then went.

Bad
Stayed in passing lane instead of moving over to right lane. Initiated a lane change with the stalk.
Handled a protected left turn poorly. Oversteered in the turn and then self-corrected mid turn. No intervention needed but made for very jerky turn.
Stopped too far from a red light because it thought the railroad crossing stop line was the right stop line. I gently pressed the accelerator to go.

Everything Tesla deploys has to work in a large variety of edge cases, USA/Canada wide. Something that may seem obvious in most situations may not work in that final 1% of cases, and Tesla has to solve even the last 1% of cases before deploying this stuff.

That's why even something "simple" like traffic controls / lights took a long time, because as we know, there are swinging traffic lights, lights that are broken, lights pointed in odd directions, what lights correspond to which lanes, etc. Etc.
I have definitely noticed our Canadian friends tend to have more interventions according to them, the testers, than we do.

Of course driving is going to be end-to-end, that's how everything eventually ends up. If you want to build a detector for cars in 2022, you don't make a wheel detector, and a hood detector, and a door detector, and a brake light detector. That's how it worked a decade ago. Today you just ask the network to tell you where entire cars are.
This is like the “holy grail” of FSD.

But there are a lot of issues, including video training time - and what to do when rules change. Search for a YouTube video on the “planning” aspect by MobilEye where they talk briefly about this.

Dumb question: I've been trying (again) for the last 3 months to get into FSD beta. My Model S is running 2022.28.2, and I was just prompted to update to 2022.36.6. Question: if I do this, will I miss out on the opportunity to upgrade to 10.69.3, should there be an influx of new testers?

Since 10.69.3 is 2022.36.15, I *think* it should be fine, but just curious what you all think.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve