Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10.69.2.3 seems to be rolling out very cautiously. I do wish they added new things to the release notes so we could actually tell what was catching between patches.

For those who have downloaded it, any noticable differences? I'm guessing something pretty major must have changed. If it was just bug fixes, why the cautious rollout?

10.69.2.3 seems to be rolling out very cautiously. I do wish they added new things to the release notes so we could actually tell what was catching between patches.

For those who have downloaded it, any noticable differences? I'm guessing something pretty major must have changed. If it was just bug fixes, why the cautious rollout?
Installing now. My guess is, it’s just bug fixes. Wouldn’t a major update be numbered 10.69.3, rather than 10.69.2.3?

When Tesla is training a new model every 8 minutes, I'd think they'd incorporate some minor model updates with every release.

Tesla is about continuous improvement, so the version numbers don't mean much to me. They work the factory improvements in a similar way.

All right. 69.2.3. Got in the car this morning and there it was, ready for the install. Did that thing.

So, left a little earlier for work this morning so traffic was a bit lighter than usual. But was looking for the usual trouble spots.
  1. There's a two-lane, striped major local road with a light and a left turn lane; traffic is usually backed up at the light, but there's a long, unstriped area on the left for those wanting to get into the shorter left turn lane. Sometimes FSD-b will get into that lane early (properly), but will creep and hesitate its way to the end of the left turn lane. This time, while not going as fast as a human, it went ~15 mph down past the line of cars on the right and came to a smooth stop behind the truck waiting to turn left. Conclusion: incremental improvement, but welcome. Minor irritating problem: On left turns, FSD-b likes to swerve, to a greater or lesser extent, to the right, sometimes to the extent of crossing a solid white stripe in order to do so. It still does this, or did so at that light, anyway.
  2. Further up there's a pair of lights forming a dog-leg (left, then right), with two lanes, after the first turn, with the left lane going mainly straight and the right lane straight as well, but has a cut-out and right-turn-on-red spot, if it's not blocked by a car going straight in that lane. FSD-b often gets stuck in the left lane as it goes around the first left turn; if it doesn't, it's very jerky hitting the two lane area. This time it went around the corner, more-or-less lined up with the left lane, but immediately and smoothly (for FSD-b, anyway) got into the right lane. Followed the truck, more or less, and executed a right-turn-on-red without much of a nudge. (It's always slow when approaching a stop sign and, in traffic, this isn't right.)
  3. Next up: Light-controlled intersection with the two lanes I'm on getting protected left and straight ahead lights. (It's not two-way, period.) It's a left turn lane into a road with two lanes; the appropriate lane is the left one. FSD-b has been jerky going through this, sometimes picking the left lane, sometimes the right. This time, smoothly went into the left lane. Further, about 50 yards up, there's a permanent pair of blinking yellow lights for the fire department on the left. On previous FSD-b's, the car's made an attempt to slow to 15 mph on a 35 mph road, jerkily, when approaching this light; this time, from the corner, went through accelerating from 15 mph on the curve to 25 mph through the yellow then up to 35 mph, without jerks. Almost as good as a human. Again, incremental improvement.
  4. First major problem point: A road sans stripes, relatively narrow, 35 mph traffic both directions, with a hill that has three spots where there's a crest beyond which one can't see approaching traffic. Sane drivers stay close to the right. FSD-b likes to get in the middle. No Change 😫. I made a point of disengaging three times, once for each crest, and hitting the "record" button.
  5. Next sticky point: right turn from local road onto major divided highway. The right has a stop sign, but the white stop line is about 20 feet further up and canted right for the direction of travel. FSD-b has had problems here because it likes to stop about 30 feet short of the sign, think about it all for a bit, creep very slowly up to the white lane, think about approaching 50 mph traffic some more, and never Just Goes For It. This time, it was a bit better: Still slowed down well short of the sign, but went up to the white stop line at about 3-5 mph, rather than the jerky 2 mph it had been doing. Still needed a nudge to get going when traffic cleared, though. Conclusion: Incremental improvement.
  6. Further up this road there's a short right exit ramp, followed 80 yards further on by a sharp right with ramp onto a bridge over that same major road. Two lanes coming up from the left on that ramp, with my lane owning a yield sign. First problem: there's a crosswalk at the sharp right. FSD-b likes to stop at the crosswalk, even though there's no pedestrians in sight, anywhere. No change. Second, FSD-b has been really hesitant about charging up the ramp to get into traffic, even when there's no traffic. I think it went up a bit faster, but traffic was also a bit lighter. So, no change, really, and required gas-pedal intervention to get up and over.
  7. The Nemesis. The road one is on is two lane, generally twisty, uphill, and is striped. That's not a problem. What's a problem for FSD-b is that the road comes to a major intersection after a short, relatively steep uphill climb, and then steeply down into the intersection with lights, none of which can be seen until one is over the crest. Before one gets to the crest, the road splits to be three lanes wide, with no stripes; just after the crest, the stripes appear for a left-turn-only, a straight-ahead, and a second straight-ahead plus right turn. The correct lane is the middle one. There's one of those white signs with arrows before the crest detailing all this, but, near as I can tell, previous versions of FSD-b ignored the sign, went for the left lane (before the crest!) and got stuck in the left-turn-only lane. Oops. This morning.. the car went smoothly, as usual, for that left-most lane but, as it came over the crest, smoothly (without slowing unduly) went for and got into the center lane. In principle, a pushy NJ driver might have snuck up to the right of the car on this maneuver, maybe, preventing that cut-back into the correct lane. But, success: Without intervention, the car handled that intersection vaguely correctly for the first time ever.
  8. Left turn at yellow blinking, with striped left-turn lane: Car dodged to the right on the left turn again. No change. At another two-lane local with stripes down the middle left turn to local road, car went from the center, swerved right nearly to the curb, then turned left: Again, no change. I let it do this without an intervention because there wasn't traffic behind me: Usually, one gets over to the left so traffic can go around one on the right, and there's the room for this. Tesla has got to fix this; little old grandmothers and inexperienced teenagers do that swerve-to-the-right-on-a-left-turn, but no competent driver does that.
I'm making a guess, here. On every complex intersection in Central Jersey the DOT (or whoever) puts up these white signs with big arrows, designating which lane at an oncoming intersection goes where. They also tend to stripe the road with turn/straight-ahead arrows. One can see on the FSD-b display (and, in fact, in non-FSD/non-EAP Teslas as well) those arrows painted on the road. I've had the impression that FSD-b (at least) pays attention only to the painted arrows and not those white signs, otherwise the Nemesis wouldn't be bothering FSD-b.

I spent some time earlier this week watching the AI day replay. And, about 3/4 of the way through, a couple of Teslaites were going through their simulation environment building where they built a road with stripes, buildings, stop lights, and all that stuff in zip time. But, interestingly, their road building exercise specifically included a bunch of those white signs with arrows on them.

It's like movies: If there's a gun hung on hooks over the mantle of the fireplace, it's only seen there early in movie so an actor, towards the end of the movie, can seize the gun and use it. So, if Tesla doesn't have plans to use those white signs, they probably wouldn't put them up in the simulation. Based upon the scant data from my drive this morning, it seems possible that the FSD-b is beginning to pay attention to those white signs. Not sure about it, but maybe.

Conclusion: Incremental improvements, with a possible new feature of paying attention to those white signs. About 20% less interventions today.

When Tesla is training a new model every 8 minutes, I'd think they'd incorporate some minor model updates with every release.

Sure, but we're not remotely near that yet.

The first (of 7) Dojo exapods won't be coming online until Q1 2023 per AI Day 2.

That said- it's been over 2 weeks since 69.2.2 came out, so they've had a lot more than 8 minutes for this update

All right. 69.2.3. Got in the car this morning and there it was, ready for the install. Did that thing.

So, left a little earlier for work this morning so traffic was a bit lighter than usual. But was looking for the usual trouble spots.
  1. There's a two-lane, striped major local road with a light and a left turn lane; traffic is usually backed up at the light, but there's a long, unstriped area on the left for those wanting to get into the shorter left turn lane. Sometimes FSD-b will get into that lane early (properly), but will creep and hesitate its way to the end of the left turn lane. This time, while not going as fast as a human, it went ~15 mph down past the line of cars on the right and came to a smooth stop behind the truck waiting to turn left. Conclusion: incremental improvement, but welcome. Minor irritating problem: On left turns, FSD-b likes to swerve, to a greater or lesser extent, to the right, sometimes to the extent of crossing a solid white stripe in order to do so. It still does this, or did so at that light, anyway.
  2. Further up there's a pair of lights forming a dog-leg (left, then right), with two lanes, after the first turn, with the left lane going mainly straight and the right lane straight as well, but has a cut-out and right-turn-on-red spot, if it's not blocked by a car going straight in that lane. FSD-b often gets stuck in the left lane as it goes around the first left turn; if it doesn't, it's very jerky hitting the two lane area. This time it went around the corner, more-or-less lined up with the left lane, but immediately and smoothly (for FSD-b, anyway) got into the right lane. Followed the truck, more or less, and executed a right-turn-on-red without much of a nudge. (It's always slow when approaching a stop sign and, in traffic, this isn't right.)
  3. Next up: Light-controlled intersection with the two lanes I'm on getting protected left and straight ahead lights. (It's not two-way, period.) It's a left turn lane into a road with two lanes; the appropriate lane is the left one. FSD-b has been jerky going through this, sometimes picking the left lane, sometimes the right. This time, smoothly went into the left lane. Further, about 50 yards up, there's a permanent pair of blinking yellow lights for the fire department on the left. On previous FSD-b's, the car's made an attempt to slow to 15 mph on a 35 mph road, jerkily, when approaching this light; this time, from the corner, went through accelerating from 15 mph on the curve to 25 mph through the yellow then up to 35 mph, without jerks. Almost as good as a human. Again, incremental improvement.
  4. First major problem point: A road sans stripes, relatively narrow, 35 mph traffic both directions, with a hill that has three spots where there's a crest beyond which one can't see approaching traffic. Sane drivers stay close to the right. FSD-b likes to get in the middle. No Change 😫. I made a point of disengaging three times, once for each crest, and hitting the "record" button.
  5. Next sticky point: right turn from local road onto major divided highway. The right has a stop sign, but the white stop line is about 20 feet further up and canted right for the direction of travel. FSD-b has had problems here because it likes to stop about 30 feet short of the sign, think about it all for a bit, creep very slowly up to the white lane, think about approaching 50 mph traffic some more, and never Just Goes For It. This time, it was a bit better: Still slowed down well short of the sign, but went up to the white stop line at about 3-5 mph, rather than the jerky 2 mph it had been doing. Still needed a nudge to get going when traffic cleared, though. Conclusion: Incremental improvement.
  6. Further up this road there's a short right exit ramp, followed 80 yards further on by a sharp right with ramp onto a bridge over that same major road. Two lanes coming up from the left on that ramp, with my lane owning a yield sign. First problem: there's a crosswalk at the sharp right. FSD-b likes to stop at the crosswalk, even though there's no pedestrians in sight, anywhere. No change. Second, FSD-b has been really hesitant about charging up the ramp to get into traffic, even when there's no traffic. I think it went up a bit faster, but traffic was also a bit lighter. So, no change, really, and required gas-pedal intervention to get up and over.
  7. The Nemesis. The road one is on is two lane, generally twisty, uphill, and is striped. That's not a problem. What's a problem for FSD-b is that the road comes to a major intersection after a short, relatively steep uphill climb, and then steeply down into the intersection with lights, none of which can be seen until one is over the crest. Before one gets to the crest, the road splits to be three lanes wide, with no stripes; just after the crest, the stripes appear for a left-turn-only, a straight-ahead, and a second straight-ahead plus right turn. The correct lane is the middle one. There's one of those white signs with arrows before the crest detailing all this, but, near as I can tell, previous versions of FSD-b ignored the sign, went for the left lane (before the crest!) and got stuck in the left-turn-only lane. Oops. This morning.. the car went smoothly, as usual, for that left-most lane but, as it came over the crest, smoothly (without slowing unduly) went for and got into the center lane. In principle, a pushy NJ driver might have snuck up to the right of the car on this maneuver, maybe, preventing that cut-back into the correct lane. But, success: Without intervention, the car handled that intersection vaguely correctly for the first time ever.
  8. Left turn at yellow blinking, with striped left-turn lane: Car dodged to the right on the left turn again. No change. At another two-lane local with stripes down the middle left turn to local road, car went from the center, swerved right nearly to the curb, then turned left: Again, no change. I let it do this without an intervention because there wasn't traffic behind me: Usually, one gets over to the left so traffic can go around one on the right, and there's the room for this. Tesla has got to fix this; little old grandmothers and inexperienced teenagers do that swerve-to-the-right-on-a-left-turn, but no competent driver does that.
I'm making a guess, here. On every complex intersection in Central Jersey the DOT (or whoever) puts up these white signs with big arrows, designating which lane at an oncoming intersection goes where. They also tend to stripe the road with turn/straight-ahead arrows. One can see on the FSD-b display (and, in fact, in non-FSD/non-EAP Teslas as well) those arrows painted on the road. I've had the impression that FSD-b (at least) pays attention only to the painted arrows and not those white signs, otherwise the Nemesis wouldn't be bothering FSD-b.

I spent some time earlier this week watching the AI day replay. And, about 3/4 of the way through, a couple of Teslaites were going through their simulation environment building where they built a road with stripes, buildings, stop lights, and all that stuff in zip time. But, interestingly, their road building exercise specifically included a bunch of those white signs with arrows on them.

It's like movies: If there's a gun hung on hooks over the mantle of the fireplace, it's only seen there early in movie so an actor, towards the end of the movie, can seize the gun and use it. So, if Tesla doesn't have plans to use those white signs, they probably wouldn't put them up in the simulation. Based upon the scant data from my drive this morning, it seems possible that the FSD-b is beginning to pay attention to those white signs. Not sure about it, but maybe.

Conclusion: Incremental improvements, with a possible new feature of paying attention to those white signs. About 20% less interventions today.
Ironic coming from me, but TLDR. A suggestion: post Google Streetview links to each of the locations you describe. Then just describe the behavior. Would make things shorter and more informative. Or better yet, video (but not needed).

Behavior on blinking yellows seems pretty random. Would not read too much into it personally.

I think it would be funny if they released the same exact build but with a higher increment number just to see all the butt dyno people hype it up with OH MAN THIS IS MORE FIRE THAN THE LAST FIRE RELEASE
you KNOW they would. Placebo like a mfer. "its so great! This one is sooooo much better/smoother" (while on exact same code). 🤣

During AI day 2, Tesla said they were training / retraining a new model every 8 minutes.
I mean, Tesla also said (months ago) S/X refresh owners would also be able to activate the horn via yoke airbag with just a over the air update.

and then Sandy Munro found zero evidence of any switch at all behind the airbag that could be activated by a push of any sort.

and no evidence of even currently produced Yokes having a switch.

And lets not forget the doctored FSD video STILL up on Tesla's website...

So yes, just because elon/tesla says something...

Reactions: pilotSteve
During AI day 2, Tesla said they were training / retraining a new model every 8 minutes.

Yeah, but they only ship ~0.4% of the models that they train: (281 shipped out of out of 75,778 trained.)

1664985146229.png

"added missing 🔥"