Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible method to get beta 10.69.2.3 update sooner.
I've never seen this work in the past but after seeing the James Locke tweet below I immediately went to the vehicle software page and it actually worked. The update to 10.69.2.3 (2022.20.18) started within about 30 seconds...amazing!

View attachment 861467
This is what worked for me. I didn’t know others were trying it, too. I did this after I saw 2k installed on TeslaFi, and I still didn’t have an install available notification.

Tesla intentionally trains for occluded lanes and other challenging scenarios including lack of lights, foggy and rain:

View attachment 861750

I drove through some extended areas of moderately heavy fog last night through some hilly areas of San Francisco near Twin Peaks. FSD beta actually did a good job. I was keeping an extra vigilant watch over it while it successfully drove through some winding roads and correctly identified fog-fuzzy traffic signals. It didn’t disengage but at one point it did run the windshield wipers for 15 seconds.

I live in a neighborhood with somewhat narrow streets, no street lights, and no sidewalks. It is also very common for people to be out walking, sometimes with dogs. They don't usually prefer to get off the pavement when they see a car coming, as beside the road can be tumbleweed, any of three common cactus species, and other inconveniences.

FSDb sees the pedestrians and dogs, and shows me credible images. It commonly plans to drive around them, giving me a clue with a blue path curving out away from my edge of the road.

But the path and the actual behavior have the car starting toward the other side of the road far too late to give the pedestrian, me, and possibly the dogs confidence that "THE RIGHT THING" will be done. It also sometimes gives the pedestrian less clearance than a balanced consideration of risks calls for (with no vehicle traffic in view, and decent though not great sight lines available).

I've not yet pressed the snapshot button for one of these, and rather doubt the automatic classifier would categorize them as something worthy of improvement if I did.

How do other people like the path chosen with regard to this type of on-the-road pedestrian interaction?

I live in a neighborhood with somewhat narrow streets, no street lights, and no sidewalks. It is also very common for people to be out walking, sometimes with dogs. They don't usually prefer to get off the pavement when they see a car coming, as beside the road can be tumbleweed, any of three common cactus species, and other inconveniences.

FSDb sees the pedestrians and dogs, and shows me credible images. It commonly plans to drive around them, giving me a clue with a blue path curving out away from my edge of the road.

But the path and the actual behavior have the car starting toward the other side of the road far too late to give the pedestrian, me, and possibly the dogs confidence that "THE RIGHT THING" will be done. It also sometimes gives the pedestrian less clearance than a balanced consideration of risks calls for (with no vehicle traffic in view, and decent though not great sight lines available).

I've not yet pressed the snapshot button for one of these, and rather doubt the automatic classifier would categorize them as something worthy of improvement if I did.

How do other people like the path chosen with regard to this type of on-the-road pedestrian interaction?
I have encountered situations like the one you mentioned. Usually, my car waves around the pedestrian but mostly I have to disengage for the fear of car hitting the parked cars in those streets. I posted a scenario of human behavior as a dashcam video in my post #3856.

Definitely made a difference. And not normal. Would have seen that pedestrian quite a few feet earlier!

Very easy to see from the video.

The pedestrian was not in any danger and had a complete over-reaction.

Still, normal behavior is good.

Another thing you can’t see from the video is the velocity of the vehicle and how that compares with typical speeds on this small street (not over the 25mph limit I don’t think, but not the point given the importance many here clearly put on contextually correct limits and compliance with the basic rule).
Nope - Just looked at google maps. It appears there’s about 50’ from the front of the truck to where the car was. The car was maybe about 3-4’ wide and the pedestrian was at least 1-2‘ back from the edge (unless he was standing perfectly still). THe man was probalby 5‘ from the end of the truck. At those distances, 3-4’ in lateral movement of the car would only equate to about 6” of additional visibility for the pedestrian and he was further back than that. He also wasn’t paying attention so even if it did matter it still wouldn’t have mattered.

Besides, you keep harping on how the car needs to act ‘normally,’ or at least act in a manner you would consider to be normal. Well, it’s very common for humans to overshoot a bit when making a left turn and there’s an oncoming car resulting in the turn being a bit wider/further down than you would otherwise make it. Exactly what FSD did.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Over the last two point releases:
  • Tuns and intersections are generally slightly improved (less wheel jerking). However, I've still had to intervene here and there. This particularly happens when there are two turn lanes at an intersection, and my car goes too wide and/or turns the wheel toward the neighboring car that's also turning on the outside. These may not have resulted in a collision, but I wasn't going to let it play out and also didn't want to make the other driver nervous.
  • Parking lots are just a tad less awful, but still ridiculous and unacceptable. Sounds like the next release may improve this. In the meantime, I sometimes turn FSDb on in parking lot to check progress and for the sheer entertainment value (when I'm not getting in anyone's way). Credit where credit is due: FSDb did thread itself very nicely between a parked car and a large service vehicle in a parking lot. The driver in the service vehicle was making a 3-point turn, and during a brief opportunity while the other driver was shifting from drive into reverse, my car quickly and expertly slipped through the gap. I would've been prepared to let the other driver complete his maneuver first, but FSDb took the gap, and it was a safe move.
  • Lane selection is barely better, but I'll take it. Still selecting the wrong lanes and changing lanes back and forth unnecessarily too often.

With just the last point release:
  • While on approach to a busy intersection, my light turned green. From the left, a semi truck full-on ran the red light. I was the lead car in my lane (going straight), and there were about two seconds before I would be in the intersection myself. So I had enough time to intervene, if necessary, and was ready for hard braking. Turned out the semi was moving really fast, and FSDb displayed it blasting through the intersection. My car slowed very slightly. This gentle speed decrease ensured my car would pass through the intersection just behind the semi. FSDb accurately measured the semi's crossing speed to know it only needed to make a slight speed adjustment to pass safely through. No intervention was required on my part. Had my eyes been closed, I probably would've thought it was just a tiny bit of whimsical phantom braking.
  • FSDb had been consistently and severely blowing this until the last release: A right turn-only lane from a busy surface street turns into a freeway entrance ramp (that curves sharply). Before, it always missed the turn and would want to plow straight ahead (at speed) into a barrier. This time, it slowed down a lot for the turn and would've likely made it. However, the slow-down was too severe for the flow of traffic behind me, so I took over. Still, an improvement, and I look forward testing there again.
  • I saw a driver message that I'd never seen before under very similar circumstances: While driving west in the late afternoon, the sun was shining directly into the front cameras and apparently degraded FSDb's vision enough to: 1. Beep at me. 2. Display a message something to effect of traffic control functionality degraded (in other words, FSDb might mis-read the traffic lights I was approaching). 3. Flash red in the upper border of the UI (like the blue nag, but in red). 4. Display a stop sign icon with an exclamation mark over it in the center of the UI and over the traffic visualization. Interestingly, FSDb beta did not disengage itself, but it did seem to want to alert me be extra vigilant that it may make the wrong call at the intersection. The light was green, and FSDb handled the traffic control correctly -- even though it plainly wasn't confident the light was actually green. The displayed alerts went away after I completed the turn.
  • Two of the times I've had to take over quickly to change the lane the car was in (one for poor lane selection and the other for a navigation address issue), FSDb threw a message on the screen (too busy driving to read before it vanished) and flashed the red along the top of the screen. I'm guessing these were just alerts because of lane departure., etc.

Nothing else significant to report in terms of changes or adventures.

Last edited:
I'm noticing that 10.69.2.3 is entering roundabouts more smoothly than 10.69.2.2. One remaining issue is that it seems to be following an inflexible roundabout routine that doesn't work for my situation.

The roundabout has 4 exits, and is marked with this sign, indicating the right lane can either take the first or second exits, and the left lane can take the second or third.

Screenshot_20221009-195728-627.png

But FSD seems to be following a routine where the inside lane is only for continuing around the circle, and the outside lane is only for exiting the circle. So when trying to cross the circle from end to end, it starts in the left lane, passes the first exit, merges into the right lane, and then takes the second exit. But the circle is very small, and nobody in my area changes lanes within the circle (in fact I've seen a few accidents caused by people trying).

Technically I think this is correct roundabout behavior, but it confuses the heck out of people when FSD could cross the circle from either the right or left lanes without merging mid-circle.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
This is what worked for me. I didn’t know others were trying it, too. I did this after I saw 2k installed on TeslaFi, and I still didn’t have an install available notification.
Surprised that it also worked for me on our 3. Our Y already had it for a few days but the 3 didn't. Which car gets the upgrade first seems appears to be random.

Thanks. That's a good question. I've never seen it so probably not. Next time I'm out I will verify.
Go to autopilot setting and customize navigate on autopilot - tell it to start ever drive automatically and then you’ll have a more seamless FSD experience. NOA is worse at merging onto the interstate than fsd stack so it will feel dumber until they merge the fsd and NOA code into a fully FSD based stack.

.3 seems to have toned some of the "exuberance" that came with 10.69. It can now make an unprotected left out of our cul-de-sac and then an immediate right on a very slight downhill acceptably smoothly. Before 10.69 this didn't work for me. When 10.69 came out it got a little better but it tended to zoom a little too aggressively. Of course this is with just a day of driving on .3

This is exactly why we teach kids to look both ways. I think he just needs to go back to kindergarten.
Maybe the pedestrian is a brit, and he looked to his right, just like he was taught. Kidding, of course. It just reminded me of once in London I nearly made that mistake.

But here the center camera saw him step off the curb, so at least half the car was visible to him if he just looked. But he apparently didn't look. His shouting and exaggerated yield-bow was ego defense acting, but lost on FSD.

My Y did a similar FSDβ stop the other day when a cat came out from behind a parked car, similar distance and speed. I was very please how the car handled it. The cat clearly hadn't paid attention to its kindergarten lessons either.

SW

Is it just me or does 69.2.3 visualize further down the road than previous versions?
It seems to spot oncoming cars much sooner and stay tracking cars in the same lane much further ahead.
Also could be me hoping it is ;)
I thought they had indicated they had expanded how far the visualizes in a release, I'm not recalling at which release this occurred but I believe this is not a hallucination but an actual change.