Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both these were earlier today almost completely on FSD. The second trip involved some local roads, and some highway driving with speeds up to 65 MPH.

View attachment 862294
View attachment 862295
Ah, I see. When I take my measurements, I do it over several trips and at least 250-500 miles. You're a smart person so I think you know the reason why. And now that we are starting to get into the colder months up here, my long-term average of 345 Wh/mi changes a bit. I typically get an average of 365 during the summer and 310 during the winter.

Boston version could be:)
Last night FSD tried to slow down to turn onto my road but without warning slammed on the brakes so hard the gallon of milk in the passenger seat flew into the glove box then landed on the floor. Thank-fully the milk did not break.
Thank goodness you bought the milk protection glove-box padding in advance :) I understand it is only a $20,000 option :cool:

I just came back from a 3 week long vacation. On the final day, we became brave enough to do a 1200km (750miles) journey back home, which took 15 hours. There is no way I would have attempted this kind of travel on our previous X3. The Model Y with FSD is MUCH more relaxing than anything else I have owned by far. I was surprised that I wasn't tired after this drive.

The region we visited were Acadia National Park ME, Fundy National Park NB, and Gaspesie National Park QC.

This is based on 69.2.2, and overall, the FSD performed really well.

All of the following points are nit picking as my satisfaction rate is well above 90%.

Some of the issues I've encountered:
- Some PBs that I cannot explain. Doesn't happen often but when it does, I do get puzzled. Only on 2-lane rural highways. Never on 4-lane highways.
- Still corners a bit too fast for my taste on rural highways. Doesn't feel dangerous but still a bit too fast.
- Speeding up is also a bit too rapid.
- Slowing down pace when max speed reduction is encountered, is still way too slow as many of you have pointed out already.
- Some lane choices are still questionable.
- All mighty crappy auto-high beam - I'm sure Tesla can do this better.

Overall, I simply disabled FSD when there are many cars around me at junctions. Otherwise, I let FSD do it's thing and it works most of the time. During this trip, I would say I had FSD on 90-95% of the time.

A2Z CCS adapter worked well. We went to regions without Tesla chargers and we were able to charge from 50kwh stations using the adapter.

We even boon-docked at Walmart parking lot. Slept great! At other times, we charged at camp sites with either 30A or 50A sockets.

I had a chance to drive on 69.2.3 on my local city today, and when no cars are around me, most of the drives are zero disengagements. It doesn't make decision quickly enough at intersections when many cars are around me, so I suppose that's on my wishlist on the next major version.

It is incredible to see how FSD progressed during the last 6 months. Perhaps I joined at the right time.

We are already looking forward to the next road trip!

Ah, I see. When I take my measurements, I do it over several trips and at least 250-500 miles. You're a smart person so I think you know the reason why. And now that we are starting to get into the colder months up here, my long-term average of 345 Wh/mi changes a bit. I typically get an average of 365 during the summer and 310 during the winter.
Yes - averaging over many trips is clearly better for comparisons. The problem is I don't use FSD on every trip and there are trips for which I use FSD for half the trip and drive myself the other half so I don't have an easy way to measure a longer term average. The other factor is I often skip FSD when I'm in a hurry meaning I likely drive a bit more aggressively on those trips. My wife also doesn't use FSD when she drives so it's really a miso-mash.

I posted a screen shot a while back- my lifetime average is at 267 Wh/mi over 25k miles. I took delivery on July 31, 2000, so that's pretty close to an even 2 years in terms of balancing out the weather factors.

In general when I've used FSD the energy consumption I haven't noticed the energy consumption being unreasonable. I can't say whether the average is better or worse than when I drive but it's at least not grossly higher, for whatever that's worth.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Mine is way more jerky. Accelerate to about 50' from stop sign, then slam on the breaks - pitch the dog out of the rear seat over the passenger to the dash. As soon ego has slid to a stop, whip wheel to left full stop and accelerate, slide around the corner and fling the dog back over the passenger into the back seat. He's standing back there looking at me like - ARE YOU CRAZY? I can't convince him I was as surprised as him. I couldn't point to an improvement in .3 Any changes seem to be for the worse. Maybe there will be a 4 soon that will roll back a bunch of this? Even PB which got a little better with FSDß, is now back to where it was. 10 to 15 seconds between PBs. On the 2 lane rural highways, it insists on driving on the left side. {Did I get the UK version???} Tried to send captures of a bunch of those.
I'm only laughing because I know the feeling. However, this build has been better for me. I just went on a drive out to the countryside and I didn't have to intervene at all. Maybe because the lanes were clearly marked? I don't know but it was the first time ever for me not having to disengage. Even my wife was surprised and she's usually very squeamish.

Reactions: legendsk
Yes - averaging over many trips is clearly better for comparisons. The problem is I don't use FSD on every trip and there are trips for which I use FSD for half the trip and drive myself the other half so I don't have an easy way to measure a longer term average. The other factor is I often skip FSD when I'm in a hurry meaning I likely drive a bit more aggressively on those trips. My wife also doesn't use FSD when she drives so it's really a miso-mash.

I posted a screen shot a while back- my lifetime average is at 267 Wh/mi over 25k miles. I took delivery on July 31, 2000, so that's pretty close to an even 2 years in terms of balancing out the weather factors.

In general when I've used FSD the energy consumption I haven't noticed the energy consumption being unreasonable. I can't say whether the average is better or worse than when I drive but it's at least not grossly higher, for whatever that's worth.
I’m starting my experiment for my commute using the easiest route with most surface streets. There is a way with all surface streets but can try that later.

This morning manual driving, climate control off, 72 degrees, CrossClimate tires, hold-mode stopping. Will obviously log the return too (should be well over 300Wh/mi; 2*1.6kWh/kft * 0.7kft /14mi = 160Wh/mi is the minimum possible differential due to elevation (best case assuming no regen used, which does not apply here)). Made effort to not follow closely on freeway section; no cheating by trying to draft. (A reason to do the all-surface-street experiment.) Had a good lucky drive where I never touched the brake at all (lights worked out) - drove completely normally and assertively to get to my destination, just consciously not using brakes for stops (normal). Have video logs with trip meter up as well, so I will be able to compare any segment I want to see where efficiency was lost after experiment is complete.

Then tomorrow I will do it using FSD and AP. As close to same conditions and times as possible. I think weather and winds should be similar and unremarkable tomorrow.

748BEC90-9431-4627-9F33-6663CDD4BD25.jpeg

My expectation is that FSD will not be that much worse. Maybe 10Wh/mi difference at most. (But will be variation, based on trip specifics and what exactly happens.)

Last edited:
So 10.69.2.3 still tries to bail out of a left turn at the last minute. This started with 10.69.2.2, but taking a left turn at a light from outer lane to outer lane, and halfway through the curve, the line jumps to the right to go straight. Ugh.

It's actually done this turn correctly a couple of times on 10.69.x, but majority of the time it's bailed out.

I've had a repeatable creepy experience with the 'turn right to turn left' logic which may have originated from Chuck's ULT 'land in the median' code. It occurs when opposing traffic crosses over at the intersection's center. Those innocuous right turns can throw you into oncoming traffic. They need to fix that ASAP.

I've had a repeatable creepy experience with the 'turn right to turn left' logic which may have originated from Chuck's ULT 'land in the median' code. It occurs when opposing traffic crosses over at the intersection's center. Those innocuous right turns can throw you into oncoming traffic. They need to fix that ASAP.
I'm not following - can you give us a Google Map view of the intersection (birdseye and street view)?

That is so surprising to me. I would have thought the Model Y was more efficient than that.

My 2021 Model S has a lifetime of 279 Wh/mi at 38,455 and I use FSD / AP as often as it is safe to do so which is ALMOST all the time with the FSD Beta

E044F123-2508-4252-96B2-5FE709CB2097.jpeg

Last night FSD tried to slow down to turn onto my road but without warning slammed on the brakes so hard the gallon of milk in the passenger seat flew into the glove box then landed on the floor. Thank-fully the milk did not break.
My idea of "chill" mode is when it can make turns without making the grocery bags in the trunk fall.

BTW, yes, it does slow down rather late for some right turns. Sometimes it is not even a vision issue since the turn is clearly visible.

That is so surprising to me. I would have thought the Model Y was more efficient than that.

My 2021 Model S has a lifetime of 279 Wh/mi at 38,455 and I use FSD / AP as often as it is safe to do so which is ALMOST all the time with the FSD Beta

View attachment 862761
For comparison, here's the battery size, range and efficiency of all tesla's models:

BatteryRangeefficiency
2020 Model Y (my car)75 kWh315 mi238 Wh/mi
2022 Model Y81 kWh330 mi245 Wh/mi
2022 Model S95 kWh405 mi234 Wh/mi
2022 Model X100 kWh348 mi287 Wh/mi
2022 Model 3 (standard)60 kWh272 mi220 Wh/mi

The model 3 is the most efficient model but it's also 1000 lbs lighter than the Model Y. Why would you think the Y would be more efficient?

Edit: corrected model 3 range and efficiency

Last edited: