Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 12.3 GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 12.3 on my 21 M3LR yesterday.

First drive was surprisingly good and smooth.

Second drive, car took what should be a very standard and easy right turn and hit the curb with the rear right wheel, causing a small curb rash. Hopefully it didn't mess up anything else.
Ive had some close calls with curbs on 12.3. I hope this is addressed on 12.3.1. It certainly needs to be fixed soon.

I got the beta, but really really do not like the inability to use TACC at all. My current commute is driving into the sun and FSD hesitates and won’t keep the speed limit, but TACC is normally fine.

Also, the car is biased way to the right hand side of the lane. I disabled FSD beta mid-drive then engaged regular AP on the same highway and the car immediately centered back up on the lane, so not a camera calibration issue. Might be the same issue others are reporting with curbs.

Anyway, I now have FSD disabled at least until we get back TACC.

I am definitely experiencing the close to curb issues. Not any rim rash yet, but the tire has gone off the road surface and into gutters on turns. I was thinking I needed to recalibrate my cameras.

However, overall it’s one of the most significant upgrades to FSD I have seen in over a year and has restored at least a glimmer of hope that real, L3 autonomy may be possible in my M3 one day. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves…

Reactions: tribhuvanji
I have the same issue with FSD going lower than posted speed limit on open straight roads with little or no traffic.
kind of useless for cruise control. The scroll wheel to set speed in FSD no longer works. I continue to mess with the settings looking for a work around.
Progress is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:
With FSDb 12.3 believes the speed limit on the 55mph highway nearest me is 10 mph. This seems to annoy the folks who want to go 75 or 80. One of the passing cars cut back into my lane with a good 2" of clearance. When it sped off down the road, my car zipped up to 92 mph then back to 83 for a while then slowly drifted back down to 10, so I had to hold it at something reasonable with the accelerator pedal. Initially, the accelerator seemed to have no effect at all, but after mashing about on it for 1/2 mile or so, it began to allow me to set the actual speed that way. Initially was pretty scary when it didn't work at all.

It is still doing the "turn right in 1,000 feet", dive for the left lane, 1/2 there hold and think about it, then at the last moment, dive for the right lane and do the right turn and vice versa for left turns. It's certainly better than it was, but plenty of room for improvement yet.

...believes the speed limit on the 55mph highway nearest me is 10 mph. ... One of the passing cars cut back into my lane with a good 2" of clearance. When it sped off down the road, my car zipped up to 92 mph then back to 83 for a while then slowly drifted back down to 10...
That is pretty wild. @Supcom says the highway stack is still V11 so that is apparently some wonky C++ in the new auto speed limit feature. I admit since I started driving with V12 I am keeping extra vigilance. I have to admit my reason for getting FSD was to experience this rare experiment and it has been worth every penny, but man be safe out there friends!

Reactions: legendsk
I loaded V12 last night (44.30.25), couple of things that I've noticed on my very short 3 mile commute this morning. It did notice (not displayed) speed bumps as it slowed down for them. I will say that the speed was a bit erratic as it slowed down on the straight road I travel on (45MPH), I think someone else mention this on this string. Tried Summon just for fun (not), I had backed into a spot curb on left side. When I activated to my location it turned hard left and drove up on the curb, bad AI! Looking forward to trying it a bit more.

• Funny
Reactions: legendsk
I haven't had the terrible experiences that some here are reporting. For the most part, it drives much more like a person than ever before. I noticed two places where the speed limit is 35 and the car thought it was 25 (and said so on the display), yet driving the same exact road at a different time (later in one case, earlier in the other), it correctly reported 35. I can see the data being wrong, but I can't see it being wrong one day and right the next (or vice versa).

It still has a lot of erratic behavior, speeding toward red lights, changing lanes in the wrong direction at the wrong time, failing to change lanes when it was really needed (like in a 55 zone where the guy in front was doing 30).

Someone here reported that when the speed limit changed from 35 to 25, the car slowed drastically and quickly. I have found exactly the opposite, where the speed limit went from 35 to 25 and the car reported the change and then ignored it for a mile or so and kept on driving 35. That was consistent, it did the same thing in the same place two days in a row. And this is a place where speed traps are a common occurrence. Not good behavior at all.

Reactions: JB47394
I picked up 12.3 over the weekend, and I'm afraid my limited use has been extremely disappointing. I've not been out on the highway as yet, but the street behavior leaves me very concerned:
The car will not do the speed limit anywhere. I've got my profile set to assertive and to go 10% over the speed limit, but I can't get the thing to do the speed limit in any location, even when I've used the accelerator to push it up to my normal desired speed. It wants to stay 1-3 mph below the posted speed on a clear day with a clearly lined road and no traffic.
Stop signs: the car stops the very millisecond it can recognize the stop sign 600-800 feet ahead. It brakes hard, then tries to recover at 15 mph or so. My biggest concern with 12.3 is getting rear ended: going from 50mph to 15mph in a hurry in a place nobody should be baking is a very big safety issue.
The lack of planning ahead is disappointing still. I have a well-marked but interesting intersection that most updates never seem to get quite right. I long for 11.3.4 which seemed to be incredibly good at predicting routes and lane changes, but everything since has been a crap shoot. With 12.3, the car chose the initial good lane, proceeded through the intersection, but then proceeded to move to the right lane - at a point where the right lane was about to end less than 200 feet up. It can clearly see there is no future there - even on the screen - but still wanted to change lanes (to go around nobody?) only to have to merge back again?
The car decided to drive down into a parking lane in a clearly marked roadway in advance of making a right turn 800 feet up. This is yet another new first.
Turns are indeed smoother. I'll give them that.
I could never drive with this with my wife in the car. She hates the thing as it is, but the braking behaviors for no apparent reason are a serious risk of accident. Some of the other decisions are quite concerning, but as much as I looked forward to this update, it's been quite surprisingly discomforting for my first couple of rides.
I'll still try it out on the highway. I'm in software, so I understand what testing is all about. I'll still give it a try in the city on my own, but this is a very disappointing release thus far, and one I can't really share with my wife in the car.
Same. Really bad in rural areas. No more TACC when disengaging FSD or AP, and my car can’t navigate my area at all so I used TACC heavily to get to the highway then would switch to FSD. Can’t do that anymore and feel way less safe driving.

I got the beta, but really really do not like the inability to use TACC at all. My current commute is driving into the sun and FSD hesitates and won’t keep the speed limit, but TACC is normally fine.

Also, the car is biased way to the right hand side of the lane. I disabled FSD beta mid-drive then engaged regular AP on the same highway and the car immediately centered back up on the lane, so not a camera calibration issue. Might be the same issue others are reporting with curbs.

Anyway, I now have FSD disabled at least until we get back TACC.
I have reported to Tesla the same issues that you describe. I also noted that disabling FSD and going to AP results in the car centering back into the lane, with no more right side or onto the shoulder preference.
I also had reported a bug in the version 11 FSD that resulted in my GPS screen location to be misrepresented by hundreds or thousands of feet from where I actually was. That was later corrected in another software update.

Can't you set up 2 profiles, one with FSD and the other with TACC, and switch on the fly?
This works very well for me. "Al FSD" and "Al No FSD." The former in towns, and the latter when there are no lead cars. I can switch instantly.

The only problem happens when the car thinks the truck limit of 30 mph applies to it, and the No FSD version won't let me set the max to anything above 35 mph.

Reactions: tribhuvanji
I find the highway driving almost flawless. What are some improvements you are hoping for?
I'm hoping the car doesn't have this maniacal preference for the leftmost lane. I'm also hoping that some of the lane selection errors at multilane interchanges get resolved. I also have some issues with it coming up on a lane closure and not moving over until the last second.

And, V11 ignores emergency vehicles sitting in the shoulder with flashing lights. No attempt to slow down or move over, as required by Texas law.

Lane changes need improvment. V11 will often signal a lane change, then decide not to make it. It can do this multiple times. One would think that the car would already know if the lane is clear before signaling the change. Sometimes it signals, starts to change lanes, then moves back.

But, yes, generally V11 is very good on highways. In heavy traffic, it can be fantastic and find gaps out of nowhere.

I picked up 12.3 over the weekend, and I'm afraid my limited use has been extremely disappointing. I've not been out on the highway as yet, but the street behavior leaves me very concerned:
The car will not do the speed limit anywhere. I've got my profile set to assertive and to go 10% over the speed limit, but I can't get the thing to do the speed limit in any location, even when I've used the accelerator to push it up to my normal desired speed. It wants to stay 1-3 mph below the posted speed on a clear day with a clearly lined road and no traffic.
Stop signs: the car stops the very millisecond it can recognize the stop sign 600-800 feet ahead. It brakes hard, then tries to recover at 15 mph or so. My biggest concern with 12.3 is getting rear ended: going from 50mph to 15mph in a hurry in a place nobody should be baking is a very big safety issue.
The lack of planning ahead is disappointing still. I have a well-marked but interesting intersection that most updates never seem to get quite right. I long for 11.3.4 which seemed to be incredibly good at predicting routes and lane changes, but everything since has been a crap shoot. With 12.3, the car chose the initial good lane, proceeded through the intersection, but then proceeded to move to the right lane - at a point where the right lane was about to end less than 200 feet up. It can clearly see there is no future there - even on the screen - but still wanted to change lanes (to go around nobody?) only to have to merge back again?
The car decided to drive down into a parking lane in a clearly marked roadway in advance of making a right turn 800 feet up. This is yet another new first.
Turns are indeed smoother. I'll give them that.
I could never drive with this with my wife in the car. She hates the thing as it is, but the braking behaviors for no apparent reason are a serious risk of accident. Some of the other decisions are quite concerning, but as much as I looked forward to this update, it's been quite surprisingly discomforting for my first couple of rides.
I'll still try it out on the highway. I'm in software, so I understand what testing is all about. I'll still give it a try in the city on my own, but this is a very disappointing release thus far, and one I can't really share with my wife in the car.
This is my exact experience. Hard brakes then crawls to the stop sign. I believed all the hype, joke is on me

I’m with those who are highly frustrated by the car’s unwillingness to maintain the set speed in many situations, even when forcing with the accelerator. Big step backwards. Smoothness and logic are indeed better, but I’m very disappointed with the slow speed issue - and they even took cruise control away, so that’s no longer a real time option. Feels like the risk managers won and driver responsibility be damned. I too am no longer an Elon fan boy, but doesn’t he say he is about personal choice and responsibility? This version makes those statements hypocritical. I can’t even choose what speed to drive.

I find the highway driving almost flawless. What are some improvements you are hoping for?
Really need the ability to set the lane position. Being centered in the lane feels way too close to other vehicles. It'll move over slightly for semis, but I often see people hugging the left edge of their lane and it feels way too close. When driving manually I'll move over to the left edge of the lane (when driving in the left most lane).

Reactions: 455dan