Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Long time back I used to wiggle the wheel but it would not register. Then I read (somewhere here) that we shouldn't wiggle but gently pull the wheel in one direction hold for a second. That has solved the issue. Whenever I get the nag now, I automatically gently pull the wheel and the nag goes away.

Ofcourse not sure how it works with Yoke .... and with so many cars, obviously there will be mechanical issues in some.
20220916_145403.jpg

Maybe the constant pressure is why this works for me . When my hand is resting on it I get no nags.

The point here is not how tough the problem is to solve, or how hard the team is working, but rather the leader running around spouting off baseless statements that likely didn’t come from the team. That creates a less than desirable work environment for said team members.
Your continued assumption that the Tesla FSD team is miserable, based on no actual facts, is interesting. The fact that they keep working on it is counter-intuitive to your assumption.

not sure if I've mentioned this before. It really seems that 11.3.6 has improved the issue of flashing yellow warning lights being interpreted as traffic lights.
Previous versions have always show "Stopping for traffic control" - I once took the opportunity of a quiet time on the road to test it, it stopped for a flashing yellow on a 70mph divided highway, not good.
Anyway, to the point. FSDb 11.3.6 now has two different behaviors.
When in FSDb (two stalk taps) it still tries to slowdown but pushing the go pedal lets the car proceed without issues or alarms.
When in TACC (one stalk tap) it acts in the old way where pressing go just results in "Take over immediately" alarms.
In either case, it will stop if you don't intervene, but I'll take the fact that they've stopped the alarm in FSDb mode.

On the topic of nags, I am now getting on average 1 per 5 city miles, and about the same on the highway. What is weird is that we haven't received any updates in a while. So how come the nags are getting more infrequent?
Do they send out little fixes or updates between the ones we have to approve to install 🤔? Serious question...
Basically on a 3 to 7 mile trip now, I am getting just 1 nag between destinations.
Eyes forward and not touching the screen.
Start messing with the screen and the nags get way more frequent.

Reactions: EVNow and jebinc
On the topic of nags, I am now getting on average 1 per 5 city miles, and about the same on the highway. What is weird is that we haven't received any updates in a while. So how come the nags are getting more infrequent?
Do they send out little fixes or updates between the ones we have to approve to install 🤔? Serious question...
Basically on a 3 to 7 mile trip now, I am getting just 1 nag between destinations.

They can't change the firmware without a full update.

They can (and do, all the time) update map and route info in roughly real time on a per-drive basis-- which also means behavior may (almost surely will) differ based on if you have a destination in there or not and what it is.

Regarding nags.. As I've mentioned before, our brains tend to look for patterns, whether we want them to or not. And, once it's found (or maybe hasn't found) a pattern, it tries to work out what's going on.

So, back on 10.69.xx.xx, the SO and I took a small vacation to Florida from NJ and back over a week or so. Think: Lots of driving up and down limited access highways and such. And the nag stuff seemed to be variable.

Say one was driving madly around local roads for a day, then gets on the interstate and drives a hundred miles. The first fifty miles on the interstate: No nags. Then nags start showing up. I would torque the wheel one way, then torque it the other way, sometimes waiting for the nag to strike, sometimes just going back and forth, gently, like breathing.

That would work for a while, And then the insistence that I Wasn't Paying Attention would get worse. And worse. And, a couple-three times on this couple thousand mile trip, I found myself torquing the wheel enough to disengage FSD-b. Mind you, this wasn't on purpose, it was just kind of reacting to the car.

Stay at a motel overnight, pick up the next morning; and sometimes, it would start off being, "bad", for a certain level of bad, then stay the same, get better, or start off good, then gradually go bad again.

In other words: Not consistent. But not fast-changing, either. And, in the end, not bad enough to make me swear off of FSD-b, either. I don't think I picked up any strikes. And, no, I don't use weights or anything like that; sunglasses, but, yeah, the sun was bright.

After getting 11.3.x it seems that the whole nag business is better. In fact, for the first couple of weeks with it I didn't get any nags at all! And then they started to reappear. Nothing like on that trip, but, yeah, the occasional nag pops up.

Thing is.. there is such a thing as a feedback loop. There's evidence, associated with the windshield wipers and some of Tesla's release notes, that, if the windshield wipers aren't going off correctly, to hit the button on the end of the stalk to get them started. With some possible mumbo-jumbo that doing this a few times will, "train" the car to do a better job.

So, is there some kind of feedback loop trying to do a better job on the nag front? Is it taking into account individual's reactions to the car? Um. Maybe? Is the feedback loop a neural-network type, changing weights? Or is it more like some kind of linear algorithm, changing some state variable value that, perhaps, gets reset with a car reset? Dunno. But possible.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I’ve posted a couple of videos here of it doing nonsensical things but overall experience on my refresh isn’t smooth, ton of hesitations, slamming brakes while full speed coming up on cars that are stopped at red lights, lane pin balling, getting out of lanes before up coming turns just to try to squeeze back into them or miss the turn and then reroute. Just complete outright nonsense that even an inexperienced driver wouldn’t do. But then there are all these shills with 3/Y posting all these great smooth no intervention for 100,000 mile drives. Starting to get a bit suspect that 3/Y have a better FSDj experience.

I just apply gentle pressure with my left hand, keep my eyes on the road aside from short glances, and have zero issues with nags. Would be interesting to know why some have such a problem.
On the highway I get a nag maybe once every 30 minutes. On city/streets maybe every 10 minutes. I never wiggle the wheel just hold my left or right hand on the wheel so the weight of my arm keeps the nags at bay. I do wonder if the yokes make this more difficult. Plus I'm one of the lucky ones whose sunglasses seem to defeat any FSD efforts to determine if I'm paying attention. Of course they doesn't help at night :)

The point here is not how tough the problem is to solve, or how hard the team is working, but rather the leader running around spouting off baseless statements that likely didn’t come from the team. That creates a less than desirable work environment for said team members.
No doubt thats the reason Tesla and SpaceX are always in top 5 most desired companies to work for (among engineers) ;)

On the highway I get a nag maybe once every 30 minutes. On city/streets maybe every 10 minutes. I never wiggle the wheel just hold my left or right hand on the wheel so the weight of my arm keeps the nags at bay. I do wonder if the yokes make this more difficult. Plus I'm one of the lucky ones whose sunglasses seem to defeat any FSD efforts to determine if I'm paying attention. Of course they doesn't help at night :)
I noticed a nag on the freeway several times right after I used the accelerator momentarily. Is this a thing, or was it just a coincidence?

I am getting tired of all these “major improvements“ that are supposed to come with yet another release.

My car wanted to drive into the left lane at unprotected left turn. A turn that it has done flawlessly numerous times. Today, however, it made this stupid mistake. I don’t know why…

The other day the car waited for a red light only to start accelerating suddenly while light was still red. Turned out the car started looking at another light across the street which turned green.

I noticed a nag on the freeway several times right after I used the accelerator momentarily. Is this a thing, or was it just a coincidence?
I haven't noticed that but then again I don't change the speed very often on the highway. Most common change for me is when I see a lot of red lights ahead indicating traffic is going to quickly slow down and FSD waits too long to adjust. It gets jerky when FSD realizes it has to slow down too quickly.

"Jerky" there is that word again but in this case it's real.

Reactions: Porkalletta