Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed some updates on this thread, but are we saying that HW4 is getting 11.4.1 and FSDb works on HW4 now?

Seems like major news?
If you wish to look at the TeslaFi accounting of distribution of this release detected among their subscribers you can observe:

The usual pattern has been for it to go to 5 cars in a first batch (Chuck Cook and more than one of the other known influencers). This time it has gone to six, and one is indeed listed as a 2023 Model S Plaid with HW4 and less than 2000 miles on the odometer--presumably the person posting here.

That Plaid is detected as most recently running 2023.6.11.2 (not FSDb).

I could make one and put it on my YouTube Channel. Is there anything specific you want to see?

That'd be great, any city driving would be ideal, even better if there are cones on the road.

The issue with the refresh S and X for YouTube fsd is that the visualizations are more difficult to see.

Whatever you do, be safe out there, 11.4.1 seems to be a wild beast right now :)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I could make one and put it on my YouTube Channel. Is there anything specific you want to see?
My tongue is so far into my cheek I'm beginning to gag. You have no idea about how many people have so many corner cases they want tested 🤪.

A good place to start would be @swedge's post a few pages back at this link.

Me, I'd like to see your taking the car through stop signs: Left turn, straight ahead, and right turn, with or without traffic. A YouTuber posted a video that showed an 11.4.1 car going through a stop-sign controlled intersection, straight ahead, without other traffic, at a normal human speed. Remember what I said about YouTuber's fudging data? The fellow could have goosed the car on through, but he didn't say.

Right now, on 11.3.6, an FSD-b car comes to a gradual stop (and it's very gradual) at the white, "stop" line, then creeps forward, slowly, until it's half way through the intersection, blocking any potential traffic, then accelerates (not fast) and goes on through. This is actually dangerous, at least partly because other drivers will lose patience and will try and navigate around the slowly moving FSD-b car. It would be nice if all that slow motion creeping's been fixed.

Although I wonder if there's a way we can confirm you have HW4 in the first place?

Have you ever looked under your "Additional Vehicle Information" screen to see if there's any indication of HW4?

Check your configuration from your touchscreen. Select ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ and confirm Autopilot computer type. Then press ‘Additional Vehicle Information.’

By the way, whenever I stop FSD mid-trip, I get a pop-up window asking me if I want to voice record the issue and transmit it to Tesla. Is this the common way to let Tesla know when there are issues with FSD?

Joe
Yep. Hit the right scroll wheel when you disengage, vent your spleen and why at the car, then hit the right scroll wheel again. Current thinking is that this gets automagically transcribed to text, which can be searched through by the developers.

I do my best with this, but half the time I'm so irritated (and driving in a way to Save The Day) that I can't get a truly coherent response out the door 😁 .

In some early releases, there was a little icon of a video camera that one could hit; not sure if there was any speech recorded. If you watch some of the YouTubers, you can see that they do, indeed, have that icon, located on the top edge of the screen roughly in the middle, and they hit it whenever the car does something stupid. Now, the rest of us get the, "talk to me!" on disengagement. Which isn't all that bad.

Last edited:
Although I wonder if there's a way we can confirm you have HW4 in the first place?

Have you ever looked under your "Additional Vehicle Information" screen to see if there's any indication of HW4?

Check your configuration from your touchscreen. Select ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ and confirm Autopilot computer type. Then press ‘Additional Vehicle Information.’
Pr0fessor has an ultra red like me. All ultra red have hw4 based on build date. I think we all obsessed over it in the ultra red waiting room and it was determined the earliest of us are still way above the earliest reported vin of hw4

The safety score requirements were cancelled, if memory serves, late last year. Up until your post, the general rule has been that one simply requests FSD-b; then, when the applicable release winds its way down to the general community, not only do the long-time testers get it, so do the people who've requested FSD-b. Last time this happened for the requesters was just before Xmas, along with all the other holiday release stuff. So, your getting the Beta without requesting it.. That's new. And unusual.
Back in December, I got FSD-b without requesting it. And I am definitely not a YouTuber.

• Informative