Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I would love slow to accelerate at lights, mine likes to go 0 - Speed Limit in as fast as it can, even on chill mode for FSD and controls. It even does this when theres a red light ahead and then it has to hit the breaks with low regen to stop again.
ok - maybe I spoke too soon. Just took another drive and had a nice rocket launch from the stop light. 🤷‍♂️

Gotcha! Then I guess that it doesn't matter if the car is from 2018, but rather that I purchased it a few weeks ago, even if it was a private sale, and they know because of the account transfer. Correct?
I'm in the same Tesla boat. Changed to this line, 2023.32.7 FSDb 11.4.4, when I transferred FSDb to the new M3P. Actually, it's probably better. Newest other updates and 11.4.4 certainly seems more reliable/consistent than 11.4.7xxxxx.

After driving 11.4.7.2 around for a week on hardware 4 it’s pretty safe for me to say that there really hasn’t been much of an update to the actual self driving part. It seems the update is mostly for those quality of life updates like controlling the scroll wheel function and being able to move the window for the Blindspot to various places on the screen. It is neat to be able to see what the pillar cameras can see and it definitely sees more than I thought it could and that’s if the image isn’t cropped from what I can see on the display. I wish I could view it while driving although there’s not a whole Lotta traffic in my area so I was able to get a couple quick looks at some of the blind intersections that I have to come in contact with daily with self driving.

Oh that's definitely not the main problem, though it's definitely a problem. The bigger problem is... well... see below...

View attachment 981013

View attachment 981014
That problem is what's so bewildering to me. Sun in the cameras will get those things flapping like a panicked seagull, but rain on the windshield that surely must be obscuring the cameras' view gets no reaction. When I press the button to get them to wipe, that seems to "wake" them up and they gradually start to react more to the rain. It's so weird.

HW3. 2022 model S
Interesting. I don’t think hw4 would matter one way or another (yet) but I’m on day 2 of some impressive fsdriving. Not perfect but the main improvement starting yesterday is gradual slowdowns/improved path planning. My navigation sw updated ~5 days ago but I didn’t see this improvement until yesterday. Others with hw4 have similar experience?

Reactions: PACEMD
After driving 11.4.7.2 around for a week on hardware 4 it’s pretty safe for me to say that there really hasn’t been much of an update to the actual self driving part. It seems the update is mostly for those quality of life updates like controlling the scroll wheel function and being able to move the window for the Blindspot to various places on the screen. It is neat to be able to see what the pillar cameras can see and it definitely sees more than I thought it could and that’s if the image isn’t cropped from what I can see on the display. I wish I could view it while driving although there’s not a whole Lotta traffic in my area so I was able to get a couple quick looks at some of the blind intersections that I have to come in contact with daily with self driving.

Agree the B-Pillar camera does show a lot until the intersection is obstructed and you cannot pull forward far enough for FSD to make a safe decision. Not many intersections have this dilemma but when they do FSD is basically just winging any decision it makes.

ok - maybe I spoke too soon. Just took another drive and had a nice rocket launch from the stop light. 🤷‍♂️
I’d love to see a video or at least some datapoints of speed vs time.

There are no rocket launches with FSDb unless you use the accelerator.

11.4.7.2 still does not support flashing red lights for disabled multi-lane intersections. Sad. Not sure how it is supposed to be helpful if it can’t handle simple situations.

I’m curious how it would have handled the light which I encountered at Pomerado Rd westbound at I-15 the other day (it was 6AM so still dark) which was completely disabled. I was just tooling along and then realized there was no light where there should be one. The car turning in front of me in the distance also alerted/reminded me. Definitely something FSD will need to handle flawlessly. Sadly (or maybe fortunately) I was not using it. Probably would have slowed down since it is using HD maps, that is what I have seen in the past, but hard to know for sure. As it was I slammed on the hazards for tailing traffic and came to a slightly faster stop than normal.

At this point FSDb is boring. It seems to have pretty much reached the asymptote at this point.

With dojo just spinning up, and already eight times more expensive than the H100, I don’t think it will be our savior. A good video on full self driving cars and Elon. Without selling future tech, like FSD and the Tesla bot has been doing everything to try to keep Tesla from being evaluated as a car manufacturer. That’s all they are. Robotaxi It’s funny to hear the word now, dated silly fake tech like the cybertruck. Bulletproof windows, SpaceX stainless steel great range pulling a load, 40 K. The full self driving beta, is only safer not because it drives better, because it is a constant driver nag system. That is really all I felt I paid for my car to pester the crap out of me. Just a high priced nag

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
With dojo just spinning up, and already eight times more expensive than the H100, I don’t think it will be our savior. A good video on full self driving cars and Elon. Without selling future tech, like FSD and the Tesla bot has been doing everything to try to keep Tesla from being evaluated as a car manufacturer. That’s all they are. Robotaxi It’s funny to hear the word now, dated silly fake tech like the cybertruck. Bulletproof windows, SpaceX stainless steel great range pulling a load, 40 K

Even as a car company they are impressive. In a few short years they've displaced major companies like Toyota and BMW for best selling car, and their margins are significantly higher than the competition.

Even as a car company they are impressive. In a few short years they've displaced major companies like Toyota and BMW for best selling car, and their margins are significantly higher than the competition.
I agree, the vaporware and the belief of future functionality has really enhance Teslas bottom line. Also government subsidies, sucking on those tax credits. Elon stated very clearly in the video I posted if they don’t get full self driving working, Tesla is basically worthless. I guess the question is have they got it working and will they get it working? Mostly advances in reduce components, motor, reliability, battery, longevity, and no motor helping out your crash rating is common among all EVs. Tesla has full self driving and superchargers. The superchargers are being opened up, for government subsidies to be profitable gas stations for Teslas.

Last edited: