Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Disappointed with 2 first 11.4.8.1 impression videos by Chuck Cook and TechGeek Tesla. They are 1 hour long. I had no patience to watch.
I wish there are 10 minute videos telling me what are fixed and not fixed. Why Tesla did not give it to us first so that we can have a conclusion ourselves?

Reactions: kabin
Disappointed with 2 first 11.4.8.1 impression videos by Chuck Cook and TechGeek Tesla. They are 1 hour long. I had no patience to watch.
I wish there are 10 minute videos telling me what are fixed and not fixed. Why Tesla did not give it to us first so that we can have a conclusion ourselves?
For me the single pull is the most important update. Even if everything else remains the same - 8.1 would be worth a great deal for me.

Does having single pull enabled actually mean that disengagement via steering wheel actually turns off speed control (TACC) as well? I was kind of assuming that would still be the old behavior, but haven't been following that closely.
I hope it works that way.
Double pulls: ->TACC->FSD. Auto disengagement: FSD gone, TACC remains
Single pull -> FSD. Auto disengagement: FSD gone. Drive yourself.
Logical people would interprete that way. If not, people will be very upset with the new feature.

I had to fast fwd through Chuck's 45min ramble about V12 and the CT release. He mentioned the one UPL had a bit of a sketchy creep. The most important thing was the video module's possible latency improvement.

Early on in TechGeek's video there was a couple of needless delays at stop signs especially with no traffic in the early morning. So that wasn't a positive for potentially improved latency. His video had too many dropouts to keep watching.

Does having single pull enabled actually mean that disengagement via steering wheel actually turns off speed control (TACC) as well? I was kind of assuming that would still be the old behavior, but haven't been following that closely.
If you enable single-pull with Autosteer or FSD enabled, then the car will not fall back to TACC when using the turn signals or steering wheel. It remains to be seen whether the car will fall back to TACC from Autosteer (or NOA) due to poor weather.

"Successful first drive on FSDbeta 11.4.8.1! Took it from Westwood to Hawthorne and back. Enjoying the quicker, super confident lane changes, great speed control on turns and improved creeping speed and confidence0 disengagements needed aside from a dip since I have a lowered carReally enjoyed the improved creeping, definitely more confident and quicker with its decisions all around especially with lane changes and merging on the highway. It showed great speed control exiting the highway as well, slowed down smoothly and merged onto city streets perfectly both times. Taking curves on the freeway at high speed were great, the car definitely is taking them smoother and more confidently. Overall, everything just felt more human-like. Really solid first 35 mile"

- Vehicle acceleration error
- Pedestrian and bicycle rotation
- Vehicle semantics network
These are referring to neural network outputs where reducing error or improving accuracy should mean FSD Beta 11.4.8 makes better predictions about how fast other vehicles are moving, which way people are facing, and what other vehicles are doing, e.g., parked or cutting-in. These improvements in 11.4.8 seem to be from a better way to process video perhaps inspired by optimizing 12.x architecture as it can also be faster.

Agreed. Single pull will make me feel safer when FSD self-disengages.
Since I started using single pull the other day a defin
"Successful first drive on FSDbeta 11.4.8.1! Took it from Westwood to Hawthorne and back. Enjoying the quicker, super confident lane changes, great speed control on turns and improved creeping speed and confidence0 disengagements needed aside from a dip since I have a lowered carReally enjoyed the improved creeping, definitely more confident and quicker with its decisions all around especially with lane changes and merging on the highway. It showed great speed control exiting the highway as well, slowed down smoothly and merged onto city streets perfectly both times. Taking curves on the freeway at high speed were great, the car definitely is taking them smoother and more confidently. Overall, everything just felt more human-like. Really solid first 35 mile"
Has to be better than 11.4.4 which is a massive regression for me.

For me 11.4.8.1 drives about the same, I had no disengagements on my drive, just a couple interventions where I was impatient. But the auto wipers were way worse than they ever have been before.

My insurance doesn't score it well at all, never had so many acceleration dings.

View attachment 995858

But I love the new "single pull" option for activating it.
Wipers are worse?!

Has anyone here tried 8.1 yet? I’ll pass on the hour long shiller vids, thank you.

Tried it this morning on a 2 hour road trip. Single-pull is nice because now disengagements are full. Turning the wheel or pressing in the brake disables it all, and doesn't leave you in TACC.

Only major change in behavior I noticed in my area was one place were FSDb used to whip back and forth rapidly was fixed. The tentacle on the visual still whipped back and forth, but the car didn't follow-suit and executed the turn.

Otherwise, it's hard to say whether it was an improvement because I was driving in very dense fog. Occasionally it tried to jump into incorrect turn-lanes, but that could have just been due to the inability to see more than 100 feet down the road. But it handled fog that would have disabled previous versions.

It was also highlighting a lot of adjacent vehicles in blue for no apparent reason. Again, may have been the fog.

For me 11.4.8.1 drives about the same, I had no disengagements on my drive, just a couple interventions where I was impatient. But the auto wipers were way worse than they ever have been before.

My insurance doesn't score it well at all, never had so many acceleration dings.

View attachment 995858

But remember, Elon said it was safer than a human, so your rates using it should go down, right? 🤣

For me the single pull is the most important update. Even if everything else remains the same - 8.1 would be worth a great deal for me.
Looking forward (of course I still have a wait being near last on the naughty list) to the single pull FSD activation BUT would gladly put off for NO F'N dry wiping first. 🤔 Damn the wipers annoy the hell out of me and almost as bad a someone scratching a chalk board.:eek:

View attachment 995858

It seemed like that with Chuck's drive too. At one point he bolted away from traffic after a traffic signal turned green. I initially thought he was driving manually but sure enough the FSD blue path was lit.

Reactions: jebinc