Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
In the past few days my Tesla, with FSD Beta, has uploaded to Tesla over 40GB, which is not unusual. What IS unusual is that is has downloaded a little over 4GB. Usually it just downloads a few megabytes during its massive uploads. Could this be V11 being sent in preparation for activation in the near future?
When that much data gets downloaded, it’s somewhere between two weeks and two years that a more significant software update MAY arrive.

In the past few days my Tesla, with FSD Beta, has uploaded to Tesla over 40GB, which is not unusual. What IS unusual is that is has downloaded a little over 4GB. Usually it just downloads a few megabytes during its massive uploads. Could this be V11 being sent in preparation for activation in the near future?
No. V11 will be an upgrade download like other software. The 4GB is something else.

Last edited:
Looks like internal alpha testing of 11.3 has happened with Elon Musk driving it:

Maybe we'll see some updates appear on the software trackers like TeslaFi in the next few days with its one vehicle currently on 11.x (probably 11.2).

It's nice Elon is providing periodic updates but decipher code ring needed. He drove 11.3 which is "close to limited release." So maybe he's saying a limited release could be 11.3.1 and a possible wide release could be 11.3.2?

In any event it sounds like they need at least two more weeks.

Reactions: willow_hiller
This is also annoying- with the latest FSD “upgrade” it now needs me to confirm traffic lights! The previous version did not do this. I can’t find a setting for this. This stinks- did they intentionally remove this ability??? What a step backwards. Please advise!
You must have Beta cut off. There is no way to confirm traffic lights while driving on Beta.

This is also annoying- with the latest FSD “upgrade” it now needs me to confirm traffic lights! The previous version did not do this. I can’t find a setting for this. This stinks- did they intentionally remove this ability??? What a step backwards. Please advise!

You need to make sure you activate FSD in the autopilot settings. Sounds like you’re still on the standard old autopilot.

Basically, they're not looking for a NN for obstacles at low speed and a different NN for obstacles at high speed.
My prediction for v11: it won’t actually be single stack. I think there will be significant changes to the perception and planning and NNs, which are applied specifically when on a mapped freeway.

Of course, whether or not this turns out to be the case may be difficult to determine.

Reactions: powertoold
My prediction for v11: it won’t actually be single stack. I think there will be significant changes to the perception and planning and NNs, which are applied specifically when on a mapped freeway.

Of course, whether or not this turns out to be the case may be difficult to determine.
I've been thinking this also. Maybe all that a driver will notice is that the visualizations will be the same and the transition from highway to city will be seamless.

From the leaked release notes we saw last year, they never actually used the term "Single stack." Instead it said:

"Enabled FSD Beta on highway. This unifies the vision and planning stack on and off-highway"

From the leaked release notes we saw last year, they never actually used the term "Single stack." Instead it said:

"Enabled FSD Beta on highway. This unifies the vision and planning stack on and off-highway"
Yeah it is all pretty meaningless. All that matters is capability. No reason to be single stack necessarily.

Yeah it is all pretty meaningless. All that matters is capability. No reason to be single stack necessarily.

What would you define as single stack though?

I think V11 will be single stack in that it is the unified NN stack that will be used to build summon / parking, city, and highway FSD. However, parking / reverse summon functionality may not be enabled on first release.

If you define it as enabled capability, then yea, reverse summon / ASS is unlikely to be available on first release.

What would you define as single stack though?
A single set of NNs that does everything, whatever that means. Meaning they don’t to a switchover of NNs like they do currently (presumably they run both or maybe the switchover is really fast?). It’s all a bit meaningless and arbitrary. Seems like there is no reason to not optimize for different scenarios (other than capacity issues or switchover time issues of some form or another).

Obviously implementation details important from a design and engineering standpoint but in the end we don’t give a 💩 what is going on. Nothing matters. Just has to work extremely well.

I don’t care about USS and parking lots. Those can be excluded as requirements and I still think it won’t be single stack.