Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Looks like another drop is follow distance quick change with right scrollwheel is replaced by FSD Beta's 3 driving profiles:
Although all 3 here seem to show "Minimal Lane Changes" so maybe that's a separate setting from the full Autopilot settings view? Or the UI isn't finished and is temporary anyway?
1-7 following distance is for AP only and is not applicable to FSD AFAIK.

In "AutoPilot" menu: is the FSD settings "Full Self-Driving (Beta) Profile)
  • Chill (larger follow distance and perform fewer speed lane changes)
  • Average (medium follow distance)
  • Assertive (smaller follow distance, perform more frequent speed lane changes, and will not exit passing lanes)

Reactions: sleepydoc
1-7 following distance is for AP only and is not applicable to FSD AFAIK
Yup, more generally, there's some settings that were used for legacy stack whether specific to Navigate on Autopilot or plain Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, and it seems like a bunch of these are going away with FSD Beta 11.x as FSD Beta hasn't honored those settings anyway.

At least no more obvious reminder that Tesla Vision doesn't support 1 following distance anymore. Personally, I'm on Chill and 7 following distance, and those seem to match up with about 1 second and 2 seconds at least on city streets with 10.69.x. I'm hoping that Chill on highways with 11.x gets closer to 2 seconds to better match the legacy behavior's furthest setting.

Looks like another drop is following distance (1-7 or 2-7 for Tesla Vision) quick change with right scrollwheel is replaced by FSD Beta's 3 driving profiles:
View attachment 910181

Although all 3 here seem to show "Minimal Lane Changes" so maybe that's a separate setting from the full Autopilot settings view? Or the UI isn't finished and is temporary anyway? I suppose if permanent, it avoids the issue of restoring "1 following distance" setting.
Yes!! That’s exactly what I was hoping for.

To start with, at least. Wouldn’t mind another level or two… like “Los Angeles” mode and “Island Life” or something.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a new mode for when hands-off or L3 becomes available. As in, maybe they would only allow Chill mode when driving on a highway in hands-off mode.

Would also be nice if there was an Auto mode. Like, just go with whatever traffic’s doing. If someone’s riding my tail, kick it up a notch. If I’m riding someone’s tail with a big gap behind me, take it down a notch.

Yes!! That’s exactly what I was hoping for.

To start with, at least. Wouldn’t mind another level or two… like “Los Angeles” mode and “Island Life” or something.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a new mode for when hands-off or L3 becomes available. As in, maybe they would only allow Chill mode when driving on a highway in hands-off mode.

Would also be nice if there was an Auto mode. Like, just go with whatever traffic’s doing. If someone’s riding my tail, kick it up a notch. If I’m riding someone’s tail with a big gap behind me, take it down a notch.
The main thing is to make sure lane changes can be disabled. It’s likely an impossible problem for AI. Just incredibly difficult and may be completely intractable. Requires so much sophistication and anticipation and predictive ability.

Reactions: GSP and kriskros91
The main thing is to make sure lane changes can be disabled. It’s likely an impossible problem for AI.
Yeah, that would be good. I keep speed-based lane changes off because the logic is dumb in NoA right now.

Although the 11.3 release note about the lane change logic considering more things (like if we’re about to exit the highway) makes me a bit hopeful.

Something I’d love is if it didn’t try to change lanes if the next lane isn’t even going faster than the current one. When I’m in stop and go traffic, I don’t want it putting me in the left-most lane. I want to be in the right-mode lane in case I decide to take an exit.

Although the 11.3 release note about the lane change logic considering more things (like if we’re about to exit the highway) makes me a bit hopeful.
Haha, there is definitely no hope.

E.g. your example.

It’s also going to be important to separate following distance from the driving assertiveness (though it doesn’t seem to do anything so maybe it does not matter).

If you drive more assertively you will want longer following distance otherwise you cannot maneuver safely.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
The main thing is to make sure lane changes can be disabled. It’s likely an impossible problem for AI. Just incredibly difficult and may be completely intractable. Requires so much sophistication and anticipation and predictive ability.
But you can't disabled lane changes in all previous Full Sell Driving Beta's? If you can disable lane changes then it is NOT Full Self Driving Beta. Just like now you can use the signal to cancel but it may still decide it wants to change lanes. You would have to use the legacy AP stack for that.

EDIT: In V11 the highway vs other roads "line in the sand" is erased. All driving for better or worse will be the same no matter where you are driving.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But you can't disabled lane changes in all previous Full Sell Driving Beta's? If you can disable lane changes then it is NOT Full Self Driving Beta. Just like now you can use the signal to cancel but it may still decide it wants to change lanes. You would have to use the legacy AP stack for that.
Whatever it takes!

It’s just an option (albeit a mandatory option). No big deal.

Disabling single stack would be fine too. Often simple & elegant solutions are best.

It’s a path though. All that matters is where things settle when the EAP folks get single stack.

Last edited:
Whatever it takes!

It’s just an option (albeit a mandatory option). No big deal.

Disabling single stack would be fine too.
As I posted before I didn't see an on screen toggle button to enable legacy AP on the fly so it probably has to be done in the Menu and maybe only in Park. Elon did say we would have the option for a while (for what that is worth).

Seems like an on screen toggle button would be a better option to quickly switch out of Beta, at least for now.

As I posted before I didn't see an on screen toggle button to enable legacy AP on the fly so it probably has to be done in the Menu and maybe only in Park. Elon did say we would have the option for a while (for what that is worth).
Yeah what is the case now or at the time of initial v11 release doesn’t matter, as discussed. Anything is possible.

It would be interesting to see how safety compares with Require LCC on vs. off. Tesla has that data of course but would be tough to interpret.

Haha, there is definitely no hope.

E.g. your example.

It’s also going to be important to separate following distance from the driving assertiveness (though it doesn’t seem to do anything so maybe it does not matter).

If you drive more assertively you will want longer following distance otherwise you cannot maneuver safely.
Driving assertive is less safe and less distance

If you can disable lane changes then it is NOT Full Self Driving Beta.
For people who want the car to make the decisions, they can use the "full" part. For anyone who thinks that it's not driving the way they want it, having a simpler "assist" would be nice for the parts that they do like - just as the current highway stack allows with lane changes. When Tesla gets the F part of FSD working flawlessly, I'll be happy to turn over the task of driving to the car. Until then, I'd prefer to pick and choose the parts that work for me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VanFriscia and GSP