Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Odds we’ll see any updates pushed this weekend? I know “Elon time” was bad before but everything about his v11 timelines seem particularly terrible.
When Elon says "this weekend" .... it means
- The "plan" is to "release" this weekend
- Assuming the quality goals are met
- Release goes to distribution servers
- The Release is distributed in batches according to the plan

It does not mean
- Everyone here (or anyone) would get the release this weekend

I agree with this. Even with freeway AP I am attentive and often enabling/disabling it to get around known tricky situations. Rarely on a short 10 minute drive do I just let it do it’s thing. There’s always something…need a faster lane change, a known phantom break is going to happen. So for me, FSD on the streets is similar - disengage at this turn because it’s not ideal, disengage here because of a speed bump ( I take them a lot slower than 17mph), etc. it’s fun, but I can empathize with folks who see that things like hw4 may obsolete/limit hw3.
it's not an end state and FSD is always in continuous beta development. HW5 may possibly come out in the next 2 years and obsolete/limit HW4. I don't think we will see L4 autonomy happening under HW4. It's going to take some time.. a long time.... Upon hindsight, it would have been smarter to do the subscription rather than paying for FSD.

I agree with this. Even with freeway AP I am attentive and often enabling/disabling it to get around known tricky situations. Rarely on a short 10 minute drive do I just let it do it’s thing. There’s always something…need a faster lane change, a known phantom break is going to happen. So for me, FSD on the streets is similar - disengage at this turn because it’s not ideal, disengage here because of a speed bump ( I take them a lot slower than 17mph), etc. it’s fun, but I can empathize with folks who see that things like hw4 may obsolete/limit hw3.
Yes. I imagine many use FSD this way for comfort, to avoid traffic, busy intersections and FSD issues. It should also skew FSD's accident/mile stat to a more favorable direction.

Anyone know if Tesla resets/randomizes all NN weights prior to training or are there short cuts? I always assumed it was the prior in order to optimally capture and weigh new data/scenarios.

In any event gotta wonder how long it takes to optimally train this NN behemoth.

🤷‍♂️you think Tesla should price their cars based on someone's goal for resale value rather than what the market dictates?

There's an entire thread on this and it baffles me how anyone can legitimately expect to do anything but lose money on a car.
Sleepy loves me and I was being a whiney Lil ....!
We want Tesla to sell as many cars as possible at whatever price they can get.
They will always bring a nice net profit margin
More Tesla's on the road more NN training

That’s not part of the FSDb fork, though.

Out of curiosity - what features are the FSDb folks missing out on these days?
Rolling stops.... feels like I am about to get rear ended whenever fsdb stops for 3 seconds... are they illegal, yes, does almost anyone do them, not really
Also boombox... that was fun for the 4 days it lasted

Reactions: sleepydoc
IMO only people who are "happy" with FSD are those with low expectations (like me).
I'm actually thrilled with it. It drives me an hour to surfing and back with few disengagements or interventions necessary. I would not surf this much if I had to drive manually.

It's easy to forget what a phenomenal feat this is. Did we envision this 15 years ago (I forget, did we)?