Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Well, burned my check before my road trip tomorrow, no dice :(

Do they ever get pushed between 24h windows?
I don't know the answer to this but for what it's worth, I've never gotten an update by checking manually and have always gotten phone updates urging me to update. So my car has told me when to update, not the other way around. V11 is no different for me. I was working on my art and got a notification to update as soon as those 700 pending dls dropped on teslafi.

I also predict 11.3.3 will do some stuff some people will like and some not. I'm not even going to bother with this update. I'll just wait for the version everyone agrees is perfect.
Well you wont be waiting long then.......................................................................................................................

I'm not even going to bother with this update. I'll just wait for the version everyone agrees is perfect.
Well you wont be waiting long then.......................................................................................................................
It's already built into the Tesla self driving AI architecture:
Perception, Planning, Control and Perfection.
(At least, I think that's what they said in the PowerPoint slide...)

Reactions: PACEMD
back from my first short drive with 11.3.3 within my neighborhood. didn’t see anything that was worse than 10.69.25.2. concerning improvements, i really like the enhancements to the visualizations. the car’s now telling you what it’s doing 🙂 such as “stopping for stop sign” “creeping forward for better visibility ”. the blue bar showing the cars path with info on whether the car is slowing and where it’s going to stop is also nice. all turns were smooth and acceleration through the turn, imo, was better than before. also thought the interaction with stop signs was better, the car slowed and stopped very nicely at the sign, no premature stop and creep to the line. once stopped completely, it progressed nicely through the intersection. if others who got the update see the same improvements in other scenarios i think this will be going “wide” within the week 🙂

11.3.3 pushed to my 3 this morning, and I took it for a ~40 minute drive. As always, I had it on Chill mode. First impressions:

Overall:
- It's better than 10.69.x for sure, but fails to address my (by far) #1 cause of disengagements: inappropriate blinkers. So my disengagement rate overall was still ~1 mile per disengagement.
- I don't understand how removing the fixed speed offset (in favor of the percentage-based offset) is any safer. I now have it set where it would go faster than I want on the highway, and in some surface roads it's too slow, so now I'm more distracted by constantly having to adjust my speed setpoint, while also having a risk of driving faster than I used to if I don't notice it changed my highway speed.
- I need more practice with the voice feedback. I think it's a good thing that it exists, but it's surprisingly tricky to concisely form the words to explain the problem, and find the button on the steering wheel in whatever orientation the wheel is in at the time, all while taking over to correct the car from a potentially dangerous state. I might rehearse some wording for the most common problems so I don't have to think as much in the moment.

Good:
- Highway driving was fine, so that was a relief. I was very worried it would change lanes at random like 10.69.x did on multi-lane roads, but lane changes were pretty good, except for not changing out of lanes that were ending.
- It stayed to the right on a section of road with no painted centerline (finally!)
- It found the giddyup juice when turning onto a road with very limited visibility from the left. I usually have to take over here to ensure I'm getting up to speed fast enough not to feel like there is a risk of getting rear ended from high speed cars coming around the curve just before the road I'm turning from, but 11.3.3 really punched it to get up to speed quickly. Yeehaw!
- Overall lateral/longitudinal control felt... just better somehow. If they could just fix the blinkers and make better lane choices, this car would really be a joy to not drive.
- I like the blue traffic light visualization change. It seems that the specific lights it's obeying are shown larger and in blue, making it clear at a glance if it's observing the correct signal.
- I like the wider path visualization and chevrons / stop line. It made it a lot easier to see the car was planning to stop short of a stop line

Bad:
- It doesn't seem to care that the lane you are in is ending. Maybe it would react as it ran out of pavement, but I had to take over every time my lane was ending (merging onto highway, 2 lanes down to 1, etc.). I even used the left stalk to request a lane change as the end of my lane came into view once, and it turned the blinker on but didn't actually plan a path to change lanes before I felt I had to take over
- Blinkers are still tied to a random number generator. I had blinkers turn on for curves in a single lane road, turn on when going straight through an intersection, turn on late for upcoming turns, not turn on when changing into a turn lane, etc. None of that is new vs. 10.69, but very disappointing it isn't any better on 11.3.3
- It tried to turn left into the second lane (not the nearest one), which I think may be legal in some places, but I was taught was illegal when I got my license
- It tried to change lanes in an intersection (again I believe this is illegal)
- It tried to stop roughly 100 ft short of a red light stop line at one point, but numerous other stop signs and red light stops were fine

Bummer but it's good to hear in-the-seat anecdotes although some issues are bad enough to be seen in videos. These builds are getting to be like a Forest Gump box of chocolates...
And we should, Run Forest, run….” from this release of FSD - other than for entertainment to see what’s new (like a cheap party trick).

I hope the highway portion is at least usable like the replaced “navigate on autopilot” kind of was. Not looking for the white knuckled stress from city beta coming to highway Autopilot.

Reactions: Ramphex
- It tried to change lanes in an intersection (again I believe this is illegal)

It varies by state in the US. It's legal where live, but FSD really needs to avoid making unforced lane changes in intersections... It's like today it's logic doesn't even try to avoid it when it could just... wait until it passes the intersection.