Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Smooth freeway entering and exiting is my priority. City steering turns and round about turns with speed below 40 mph is a low priority for me. I think Tesla needs to have time and have more data to make city street steering work smoothly. Updating highway maps with correct speed should be a high priority for Tesla.

Last edited:
2. Two lane road, 35 limit. I've driven this road many times on FSD, but this morning the car just braked hard and seemed to be stopping. I had a car behind me, so I disengaged and accelerated. After that, FSD would not come back. I saw intermittent flashes of the steering wheel icon, but it definitely didn't want to come back on. I pulled onto a side road, parked and then turned around and got back on that same road. Still wouldn't engage, and it stayed that way until the road reached a highway overpass with on and off ramps. Reengaged and it worked fine again. No red steering wheels or alarms.
Here's a video where a guy ran into the same behavior. Link is to the video chapter showing it.

And here's Chuck Cook showing how it can be related to driving close to the edge of the road. If that's what I hit, then it's not very forgiving of a normal, paved, two lane, divided road. Again, link is to the video chapter showing the behavior.

Last edited:
Any build ending in three digits, e.g. 100, 101, 200, etc. is a manufacture build that your car comes with. This build usually contains changes specific to some new parts in your car. Those changes need to integrate into the mainline build, which would normally be the next major build after the current mainline. In this case your build is based on 2022.44.x (Year 2022 Week 44). The next mainline major build was 2032.2.x (Year 2023 Week 2).

The 2022.45.x build is a special build of mainline 2022.44 specific for FSDb. So there is no way your manufacture build would "upgrade" to any build other than the next major one that you are based on, i.e. 2023.2.x or later.

Hope that helps.
This is a good explanation. But does this mean I should cancel my FSDb queue so that it will upgrade from the mfr build in the meantime and at least get parking w/ vision? Or will I get it anyway, even though I'm in queue for FSDb?

Still haven't received the update. This is beyond annoying
We don’t seem to be missing anything.

I have zero complaints about not receiving this. The time I got in the early 10.x with the “lucky” early 10% it kind of sucked because it nagged constantly.

It sounds like the current experience is similar!

Once they set all those sliders to “maximum slop” that is when we want it. Must have strongly assertive confident driving.

Honestly even after they release it won’t be worth it because obviously they will not have smoothed anything out significantly.

One of these days they’ll make it pleasant.

After a long day of Toronto visit, this is my impression on v11.3.3. I was on the 69 branch.

Note, I normally use the mildest possible setting to limit the car going to the left lane when the right lane is free.

Beginning of the drive, I immediately noticed that it was accelerating and stopping more smoothly pretty much under all conditions. This is especially true during stop and go traffics.

Merging into the highway, it used all of the lane. Not ideal but it worked ok.

As I didn't detect any regression initially, I decided to try assertive mode without minimizing lane changes. Basically the most aggressive setting.

Wow. This thing is so good on highway lane changing! It stays on the right lane, and only turns on the signal when there is a space on the left lane to merge into. If not, it waits until the space becomes available. You can tell what it is thinking since cars on the left lane are colored appropriately and intention of merging is also graphically rendered. It no longer signals then wait forever until space appears!

Lane changes are sooooo smooth. As smooth as my good lane changes. I barely detect any directional changes. Much better than 69.

It is also really good at squeezing between cars with tight spaces on highways. I would make similar moves if there are lots of cars around me and everyone are aggressive.

I also noticed that if the car in front of me is much slower, it triggers the lane switch earlier. Basically, my speed barely decreases before getting to the left lane.

If I trigger signal manually, it starts the process fast, much faster than before. Very nice.

Overall, I experienced about 40 lane changes from right to left. 100% successful and each one was very good. I don't recall any bad ones today.

But, it makes no effort going back to the right lane when it becomes free. I guess it needs more training. I can signal right, and it moves back super smoothly. Uses the same logic - checks for space before signal gets turned on. If I signal too fast, the right lane truck gets rendered red, then blue. Then signal comes on and proceeds to switch back. Nice.

When passing big trucks, the car hugs the left line. Feels very nice and safe. Centers back very smoothly. Almost undetectable if you close your eyes.

More serious problem - when exiting highway into smaller roads, it exits rather aggressively, more so than the 69. In one case, it went a bit too far, and my right side wheels went off the asphalt. It was a tight road, but the lane marks were very clear. Need a bit of tuning here.

Lane planning is much better. When I'm about 2km away from an exit, it switches from left to center. Then center to right lane at around 800m or so. Had to do this 4 times and 3 out of 4 worked out pretty well. Once, that right lane was slow and jam packed, so I had to drive aggressively manually to get in. (Sorry! 😅). May be getting to the exiting lane earlier is the way to go.

Overall, I found assertive mode very comfortable to use on highways, and feel confident. I can't wait to try this during my trips on unfamiliar areas.

Once we arrived at the city, obviously the situation became more complex.

Turning moves feel much more natural. Probably this is because it hugs the inner corner sides.

Once, it decided to switch from left to right lane, just to gain 3 car lengths and get stuck again. Not a good move.

On complex intersections with lots of traffic, I still feel it is too tentative. So I pre-emptively turned FSD off, drive through then turn back on. But I let it drive on some easier ones, and it handled ok. I don't feel this has changed much.

It made few other lane changes that I would not have done. So I switched to chill + less lane change mode during the city drives. From that point on, I liked it's behaviour much better, as I'm sort of in charge of deciding on the lanes most of the time.

I can switch between modes easily by clicking the right scroll either left or right so I'm cool with this behavior.

Oh yes, I had one Phantom braking event. Wasn't a big deal.

On the way back, the experience was pretty much the same.

Overall, other than one serious regression, this was a pleasant surprise.

Did I mention this release is so much smoother? 😋

Another dump of 500 + on teslafi
Wow. I looked a few minutes ago and the number was the same as this morning. I was all set to tell you that you were mistaken, but when I got back there I found a much bigger number. About 700 more so far. And if that happened in just ten minutes, we might be seeing a major release tonight. Hope so.

Edit: Five more minutes and now it's up by 1100.