Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Wow. I looked a few minutes ago and the number was the same as this morning. I was all set to tell you that you were mistaken, but when I got back there I found a much bigger number. About 700 more so far. And if that happened in just ten minutes, we might be seeing a major release tonight. Hope so.
Teslafi website just temporarily crashed!

I guess there are plenty of OCD peeps checking it now nonstop..

Hmm, guess that makes me one...

Teslafi website just temporarily crashed!

I guess there are plenty of OCD peeps checking it now nonstop..

Hmm, guess that makes me one...
Yes, it is responding very slowly. But that may not be entirely our fault. There are apparently hundreds of Teslas trying to update it about the new software that they are receiving. :)

Hmm. Maybe Teslafi is having some issues. The number just dropped by about 300. I think we will have to wait for it to settle before we can put too much faith in it.

Wow. I looked a few minutes ago and the number was the same as this morning. I was all set to tell you that you were mistaken, but when I got back there I found a much bigger number. About 700 more so far. And if that happened in just ten minutes, we might be seeing a major release tonight. Hope so.

Edit: Five more minutes and now it's up by 1100.
There was about 750 all day, at this moment it's at 1494

Edit : And climbing...

Reactions: Ramphex
Isn't Teslafi a polling-based system, rather than the cars pushing data? My understanding was they polled the whole fleet periodically regardless of if an update is going out, so updates wouldn't incur higher load on their system.
Now that you mention it, that seems certain. Since Teslafi is not in any way "official", there is not going to be any "push" software in the car. So it would have to be done by polling. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Now that you mention it, that seems certain. Since Teslafi is not in any way "official", there is not going to be any "push" software in the car. So it would have to be done by polling. Thanks for the correction.
Teslafi polls Tesla's servers for the cars' data. Tesla will get data from the car, as necessary to supply it to teslafi. There's some tricks used so that sleeping cars are left alone to reduce vampire drain. The only impact an update should have on teslafi servers is that cars downloading software do not go to sleep, so there may be a few additional cars supplying data. But, that should be trivial.

Did a quick neighborhood drive and overall deceleration is smoother.

But got stuck in the intersection during a left turn. Traffic was clear but it seemed to be waiting for the vehicle in the opposite left turn lane to move. Maybe related to a previous comment about V11.3.3 waiting to be the last one to move in a 4 way intersection?

City street left lane entrance seems a bit improved with not so much of that last moment dive across solid white lines.

Ditto comments on roundabouts - no improvement.

It likes to drive closer to parked cars now.

Wow. This thing is so good on highway lane changing! It stays on the right lane, and only turns on the signal when there is a space on the left lane to merge into. If not, it waits until the space becomes available. You can tell what it is thinking since cars on the left lane are colored appropriately and intention of merging is also graphically rendered. It no longer signals then wait forever until space appears!

Lane changes are sooooo smooth. As smooth as my good lane changes. I barely detect any directional changes. Much better than 69.

It is also really good at squeezing between cars with tight spaces on highways. I would make similar moves if there are lots of cars around me and everyone are aggressive.

I also noticed that if the car in front of me is much slower, it triggers the lane switch earlier. Basically, my speed barely decreases before getting to the left lane.

If I trigger signal manually, it starts the process fast, much faster than before. Very nice.

Overall, I experienced about 40 lane changes from right to left. 100% successful and each one was very good. I don't recall any bad ones today.
I can signal right, and it moves back super smoothly. Uses the same logic - checks for space before signal gets turned on. If I signal too fast, the right lane truck gets rendered red, then blue. Then signal comes on and proceeds to switch back. Nice.
Lane changes were already really smooth on 69 though…

If any of this has any truth to it (and the last part about not signaling when you signal, when it is inappropriate, would be pretty awesome), I’ll be sure to come back on here and sing its praises. I have my doubts that it is quite that good though.

And I have a hard time understanding why they would make it this good on the highway and leave things poor on surface streets.

Sounds sublime though.

Sometime maybe I will find out.

Got it a couple of hours ago, download icon randomly popped up in-car. I was on 10.69.25.

Did a test drive from supercharger to home which required going on the freeway for a few miles. Taking the correct exit means 2 lane changes with about a 1 mile runway as the two rightmost lanes are exit-only. It had to speed up a bit to get ahead of the cars to pull this off, but it did it with a quarter mile to spare.

It still activates the turn signal when there's a lane that's merging into the lane it's occupying which is obviously redundant. But hey, there was no phantom braking or incorrect routing so far!

(some data points: beta pilot since 6/22 on a '22 MYLR. I use FSD infrequently, maybe 3x a week and use autopilot everytime I take the freeway)