Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
FWIW did my first 11.3.3 drive this morning--- 3 disengagements on a ~20 minute local-roads drive- two of them for safety reasons.

First it tried to pass a stopped schoolbus with its stop sign out and lights on

Second it stopped at a red light, was in lane that went both straight or could turn right... light changed to display a green RIGHT arrow but was still RED for forward. Car tried to go straight forward (which was the correct routing but would've been running a red light)

Third time was a UPL car was being too hesitant about, it probably would've eventually done it if I'd waiting around through enough light cycles and it got a good gap though.

Issue 3 I'm used to... issue 1 I've never run into on FSDb as I rarely drive near school buses anyway based on time/location so no idea if this is a regression or not... item 2 was definitely a "first time it did something that bad" for me though.

Haven't gotten to try on highway yet.
FSDb has never recognized a school bus as anything special.

FSDb has never recognized a school bus as anything special.

FWIW I'd have expected it to recognize the stop sign the bus has out in the lane the Tesla was trying to pass him in- but as I say I rarely encounter school buses so first time I ever saw it do this-- thanks for letting me know it's not new behavior, guess we can just put the "running straight red because there was a green turn arrow" in the safety regression column for this version so far for me.

Anyone still have voice reporting?

I had it on 11.3.2, but no longer on 11.3.3. I don't even see it in my release notes.

I have it on 11.3.3 but I went straight to this from 10.69.whateverlastversionwas

Went for a drive this morning and had to disengage twice when I made right turns and there were buses stopped. Car saw them but got so close going around to the left of them I didn't risk it, made wider turns. May have missed them but way too close for me to test it.

Reactions: jebinc
FWIW did my first 11.3.3 drive this morning--- 3 disengagements on a ~20 minute local-roads drive- two of them for safety reasons.

First it tried to pass a stopped schoolbus with its stop sign out and lights on

Second it stopped at a red light, was in lane that went both straight or could turn right... light changed to display a green RIGHT arrow but was still RED for forward. Car tried to go straight forward (which was the correct routing but would've been running a red light)

Third time was a UPL car was being too hesitant about, it probably would've eventually done it if I'd waiting around through enough light cycles and it got a good gap though.

Issue 3 I'm used to... issue 1 I've never run into on FSDb as I rarely drive near school buses anyway based on time/location so no idea if this is a regression or not... item 2 was definitely a "first time it did something that bad" for me though.

Haven't gotten to try on highway yet.
Your first issue is a pet peeve I’ve had with all FSB betas. Clearly, safety isn’t first as this has been an unfixed safety issue for more than a year. But rather, ‘ol Chucky and his unprotected left turn, get tons of attention. Why? YT shill.

• Love
Reactions: Pdubs and Ramphex
I’m sure it it is there Alan but I’m not posting the GoPro to appease you. It’s in the right hands.
It certainly seems that way. I’ve just never had a situation where it acted so fast I could not react - fast movements are not really a feature of FSD!

All very curious.

Anyway it is in the right hands for sure since I don’t have it.

Overall I feel like the reactions have been much more positive than for prior releases, albeit with many horrible fatal issues continuing to persist. It just SOUNDS like driving behavior is more tolerable which would be a revolutionary enhancement, if true. And it would make most of those other critical safety issues (running reds, blowing stop signs, etc.) not matter as much (to me).

guess we can just put the "running straight red because there was a green turn arrow" in the safety regression column
Certainly sounds like it for you, but (attempted) running of reds for a variety of reasons is routine. Both on the move, and from a stop, it happens with some regularity, though it is not the norm of course.

Just one of the bugs they have to sort out in the Robotaxi software before coming out of beta! 😂

Reactions: jebinc
Like me you are in the majority. About 2/3rds don't have the update yet.

But, I vote for you to be the last one on this forum to get the update... ;)
The amount of love and hate in this one post puts a smile and a tear on my face… like this 🥲

How about this… has anyone here with a pre-re-refresh Model S get this update?

The amount of love and hate in this one post puts a smile and a tear on my face… like this 🥲
C'mmon. As soon as you get the update you will take it for a drive and call it DOA and not use it again. What difference would it make whether you get the update this week or next ? ;)

ps : @ChimpledPot disagreed with my post - so I guess they want to be the last ;)

Last edited: