Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
So according to Teslafi, there are currently about 3700 vehicles on some version of 10.69, and about 1700 on 11.3 with around 250 pending installs.

If we assume most of the pending ones are for vehicles on 10.69.X, the tally would be ~3450 left on 10.69 and ~1950 on 11.3, so about 36% of all FSD beta would be on 11.3.

This tells me that Tesla is probably evaluating the performance of 11.3 a bit longer, given last weekend’s larger push, before rolling out 11.3.X to the rest of the current FSD Beta fleet.

Could be the same 11.3.3 or more likely a newer version, such as 11.3.4 in the next several days (probably this weekend).

Has anyone figured out how they are rolling out new releases? Is it just random selection at this point?

I have been in beta since the Safety score rollout, and used to get the new releases usually the day off. It does not seem like they are prioritizing "older" beta testers anymore (or wonder if it is still based on safety data internally which would make sense since I drive like a maniac after I got in beta).

Im also not talking about the set couple hundred YouTubers and that get the first releases every time, but more like how are they deciding who are these first 35% or so they did the second wave on.

Has anyone figured out how they are rolling out new releases? Is it just random selection at this point?

I have been in beta since the Safety score rollout, and used to get the new releases usually the day off. It does not seem like they are prioritizing "older" beta testers anymore (or wonder if it is still based on safety data internally which would make sense since I drive like a maniac after I got in beta).

Im also not talking about the set couple hundred YouTubers and that get the first releases every time, but more like how are they deciding who are these first 35% or so they did the second wave on.
No. There are 3,701 posts in this thread and about 3,702 hypotheses as to who gets what when.

After few more drives on v11.3.3, I realized the following patterns:

- This version is clearly dialed back. It is less assertive during busy situations. This could end up as regressions in big cities.
- This version is way smoother in most situations. This benefits the most under non-busy situations.
- Highway drive overall is simply better in most situations.

I'm going to drive this way moving forward:

- When busy/complicated, I'll drive manually selectively.
- When not busy, I'll drive "Assertive" and "Force more lane changes"
- When in between, I'll drive "Assertive" and "Minimize lane changes" so that I get to choose when. My FSD error reports will probably happen mostly here.

On my way back home, I realized that when "Minimize Lane Change" was selected, it did NOT attempt to overtake any cars on rural highways even when appropriate lanes were available.

On my way back home, I realized that when "Minimize Lane Change" was selected, it did NOT attempt to overtake any cars on rural highways even when appropriate lanes were available.

I should certainly hope so! We don’t need that nonsense, if trying to minimize changes! It should only attempt to do anything if I am about to fly past my exit.

It’s very undesirable to change lanes except when explicitly requested.

On one hand, messaging would be good. On the other hand my eyes are on the road in these situations so I probably wouldn’t see the message anyway.
My reaction too.

So here's an idea. There's at least the white box showing the turn you're about to make. What if the background of the box were tinted red until the moment the car decided to go for it, at which point the tint changes to green? I think I'd notice a box of that size changing color in my peripheral vision, even without needing to look at it to read text.

I should certainly hope so! We don’t need that nonsense, if trying to minimize changes! It should only attempt to do anything if I am about to fly past my exit.

It’s very undesirable to change lanes except when explicitly requested.
I like this since this forces even less (may be none? not sure yet) lane changes than older version on Chill.

I like this since this forces even less (may be none? not sure yet) lane changes than older version on Chill.
Not compared to auto lane change disabled. (Which previously was by far the best configuration for AP/NOA.)

But this may actually be better depending on implementation. When ALC was disabled, when using NOA, it would just slow dramatically in traffic lanes if you were about to miss your exit (happens all the time to me since I have a bunch of other options and sometimes want to go a different way).

At least now it will signal when necessary to hit its intended exit, reminding me of what it is trying to do, and at that point I can hard cancel that activity with no unpleasantness.

So no more “unexpected” slowing due to me not following the planned route. Hopefully, and hopefully no other lane changes except essential ones (which would potentially also be better than ALC disabled, depending on implementation).

The only bad thing is that you have to disable it every time, a bad design decision they will undoubtedly fix in future (it may be just for data gathering).

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007
Only with a toggle to turn that crap off.
I also suggested voice annunciation of the screen messages - I can't see them well enough - but I knew @Ramphex and others would hate it, so yes it needs to be optional.

My forum-inspired vision of @Ramphex driving through the neighborhood has him slow-cruising, holding his coffee with the music on, a ton of loud bass resonating up and down the street:
Boom Thugga Boom​
Took ma b**ches to da sto
Thugga Boom Boom Boom​
Imma a gangsta man fo sho

Well, something like that.

It wouldn't do to have that vibe interrupted by the Tesla turn-directions lady, reassuring everyone:

Boom Thugga Boom​
Took m-APPROACHING STOP LINE-​
Thugga Boom Boo- WAITING OUR TURN-​
Imma gangst-PROCEEDING SAFELY-​

After several 11.3.3 drives I agree with many others that this version sometimes does some wonky things but that isn't much different than other new builds I've had. Most significant improvement is highway driving. Just all around a better ride. Not far from L3.

City/streets also better with improved creep at stop signs the most noticeable. Still needs to be quicker in decision making but for the most part I don't have to intervene as often to avoid annoying drivers behind me. Also, staying right on unmarked narrow roads and better on some lane selections but just when you think lane selections are a lot better one will fail.

Biggest issues remaining for me: (no order)
  • Entering large roundabout is just bad. Total stop and then waits. Worse than last build.
  • Right on Red- no surprise here but I don't understand why Tesla hasn't fixed this.
  • Roundabout lane selection is a mess.
  • UPL is now biggest % of disengagements/interventions. Used to be Stop signs.
  • Potholes
  • Doesn't move over far enough for walkers and cyclists.
  • Stupid blinkers that sometime really screw up drivers behind me
  • Speed bumps. Very few are recognized
  • Highway merges. Still waits too long to merge especially zip merges when you sometimes run out of the merge lane. Car needs to slow down or speed to move over.

After several 11.3.3 drives I agree with many others that this version sometimes does some wonky things but that isn't much different than other new builds I've had. Most significant improvement is highway driving. Just all around a better ride. Not far from L3.

City/streets also better with improved creep at stop signs the most noticeable. Still needs to be quicker in decision making but for the most part I don't have to intervene as often to avoid annoying drivers behind me. Also, staying right on unmarked narrow roads and better on some lane selections but just when you think lane selections are a lot better one will fail.

Biggest issues remaining for me: (no order)
  • Entering large roundabout is just bad. Total stop and then waits. Worse than last build.
  • Right on Red- no surprise here but I don't understand why Tesla hasn't fixed this.
  • Roundabout lane selection is a mess.
  • UPL is now biggest % of disengagements/interventions. Used to be Stop signs.
  • Potholes
  • Doesn't move over far enough for walkers and cyclists.
  • Stupid blinkers that sometime really screw up drivers behind me
  • Speed bumps. Very few are recognized
  • Highway merges. Still waits too long to merge especially zip merges when you sometimes run out of the merge lane. Car needs to slow down or speed to move over.
The right on red will be difficult. Most places it's legal and then when there's signs restricting it, they are different...not even state to state, but county to county...sometimes even the same road within a county/town will have a different version.

I don't see that being "fixed" for a long time.

I have a huge problem with UPL on this version as well...it's too cautious. It completely stops and then waits forever and then stops in the middle of the road at times like it's looking if a car is coming.

Just finished another drive around the city, moderate traffic. Very smooth overall (no roundabouts!), merged well, too slow making UPL’s as others have noted but did well on speed bumps. Depends on markings I’m guessing. Still think is does well around bikes but hey, I’m not a biker and I think it gives them plenty of room. Did well waiting for traffic in the left lane to pass then quickly signaled and moved over to prep for upcoming left turn which was nice. Taking I10 to Phoenix on Thursday so will get to test the highway, hope it impresses the wife so our trip to the coast and wine country in May is more pleasant!

The right on red will be difficult. Most places it's legal and then when there's signs restricting it, they are different...not even state to state, but county to county...sometimes even the same road within a county/town will have a different version.

Literally just put together this hypothetical in another thread and people are already disagreeing about the interpretation. On a Tuesday at 3 PM, can you turn right on red from the outside right turn lane?

chatgpt_intersection.png