Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
We really should split this thread now that we actually have V11 to use instead of just hypothesize about...
I'm going to start a new thread. Mods - if you want to split/combine it feel free to do as you deem appropriate.
And us disavowed simulants still on 69? I suppose we're not invited, are we? Noooooooo, just for the cool kids, right? You could care less if we fell into the foaming brine.......

In a cavern, in a canyon
Excavating forty-five
Dwelt a miner sixty niner

And his daughter Clementine

I think it would need to be a straw to prevent any spillage. But then I might end up deep throating the straw…. Not really sure how to solve this other than just if it would brake like any normal person would lol
I was taking a sip of my water before bed catching up on this thread and as I was reading your post, ironically I laughed so hard I spilled the water. So funny because it’s true…

The right on red will be difficult. Most places it's legal and then when there's signs restricting it, they are different...not even state to state, but county to county...sometimes even the same road within a county/town will have a different version.

I don't see that being "fixed" for a long time.
Where I live 90% of the turns you're not supposed to turn on have a simple "No Turn on Red" sign which is very visible. Of course there will be exceptions but I suspect the majority of intersections nationally could be handled by keeping sign recognition simple and start with just the most common signs.

Generally when the car turns on red you're going to be ok since FSD is checking for cross traffic. However, we have a large and very busy rouindabout where each entry point is controlled by lights. When FSD stops on red and immediately checks for cars coming it doesn't realize that multiple lanes of traffic that are stopped are going to come suddenly and way before FSD makes it's decision. Disaster time. I have to disengage every time including on 11.3.3 today.
AT each entry point the "No Turn on Red" is attached to the light hanging directly in front of the car. Super obvious.

Google Maps

One more update.

Just came back late from the gym. Not much traffic at this hour but the road had lots of traffic lights, stop signs and odd turns.

69 version was never successful door to door before.

This version got me home with zero drama. And all turns were very smooth.

I think it is pretty apparent that this version has higher ceiling but they only trained 60% (pure guess obviously). As they train further and introduce more aggressiveness, I think it will perform better for more people.

One more update.

Just came back late from the gym. Not much traffic at this hour but the road had lots of traffic lights, stop signs and odd turns.

69 version was never successful door to door before.

This version got me home with zero drama. And all turns were very smooth.

I think it is pretty apparent that this version has higher ceiling but they only trained 60% (pure guess obviously). As they train further and introduce more aggressiveness, I think it will perform better for more people.
That was Jekyll, tomorrow you will likely meet Hyde. :)

While we're still beta testing the thing, voice announcements would be nice, as with the navigation system. Mostly just "proceeding", "stopping", "turning left", "turning right", "changing lane left", "changing lane right", "freaking out". Stuff like that.
Voice announcement with option to turn on/off and big icons. It's hard to read messages in a short time.

While we're still beta testing the thing, voice announcements would be nice, as with the navigation system. Mostly just "proceeding", "stopping", "turning left", "turning right", "changing lane left", "changing lane right", "freaking out". Stuff like that.

"freaking out" could be hilarious if the car tried to verbalize it's decision making

- omg
- oh my GOD
- whatdoido
- whatdoidowhatdoidowhatdoidowhatdoidowhatdoidowhatdoido
- That's it. Time to apply full brakes. ABS engaging means I'm being safe, right?
- ok that was scary but we're alive
- ok, i think i got it... lets move
- NO
- oh no
- OHNOOHNOOHNO
- pLEASE HELP
- HAAAAAAAAALP
- <red hands, take over immediately>

I wish there were a bigger threat from NHTSA to force Tesla to release updates faster.
Tesla has publicly revealed the recall fix has been ready for weeks since 11.3.1, but Elon hasn't allowed it to be released to all testers pending another update it seems.
To be fair to Tesla, the 11.3.3 version does blow through stop signs on occasion (yes, I know it said it was stopping...). So maybe best not to trumpet that to the NHTSA as their big fix. That type of stop is definitely more "perceptible" but perhaps not ideal.

Last edited:
I wish there were a bigger threat from NHTSA to force Tesla to release updates faster.
Tesla has publicly revealed the recall fix has been ready for weeks since 11.3.1, but Elon hasn't allowed it to be released to all testers pending another update it seems.
Singing a different tune today, than yesterday, eh? 😗 Just pulling your chain.. yes, I agree someone, like the NHTSA, needs to hold “TGC” accountable.