Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
As did many other towns, Albuquerque had a company install red-light enforcement cameras at a few intersections We started in 2004, and had about 20 intersections equipped. People were dismayed to be caught, especially by a machine. At public demand, warning rumble strips were installed at each of the monitored intersections. "THIS is an intersection where you should obey the law". In 2011 continuance of the program was put to a vote. The camera scheme lost the vote and was removed.

So here the political will was expressly NOT to do so. The rumble strips horrified me. The vote dismayed me. A substantial fraction of all traffic accident aftermath I see here appear to involve bad intersection behavior.
However, beware the revenue motive. In several cases cities have REDUCED the time the signal is an amber, to increase the number of tickets they can write and increases revenue. In several cases this reduced amber light time has caused MORE accidents, thus making the intersection more dangerous just so municipalities can get more revenue. The same applies to many parking restrictions and people being stopped for speeding (my daughter, for example, who is an exemplary driver, was given a ticket for going 28mph in a 25mph zone).

If it is legit dangerous to drive the speed limit, why is the speed limit in that area so slow? Why haven't people gone to their local officials and had the speed limit increased? Do the local officials even know it's dangerous? If they do, what is their rationale for not increasing the speed limit? If they don't know, then why are people complaining about it, without actually doing anything about it?

I'm out here on these mean streets ya'll. I live in the southern autobahn. No one here knows how to read numbers nor knows what a speed limit is. It's bad. Officials know it's dangerous; there be road raging, cars flipping (even in the city), and car crashes all over these streets. So much so that it's not even news. Their rationale? Not enough police budget to enforce speed limits. This means that cars are going 50 to 100 mph everywhere, even on 30mph backstreets. The actual speeders go over 100 mph.

The only hope? Pot holes. We have tons because of backroom deals and nepotism resulting in the use of sub par materials to build roads.

I think that if there were no speed limits, it would be chaos out there. It would be a total free-for-all. It would be taken as a license to drive however and whatever.
It is. Please pass a all cars need GPS based speed governors installed law asap. I'd take well marked and wide spread speed cameras too, but knowing my city, they'd purposefully make those report none speeders too. Speed governors is the only way... or you know, cops could start patrolling the roads again.

On the topic of fsd beta v11, I'm still amazed by it. For my area it works well (slow relative to my local drivers but well). The other day I had my first ever 2 intervention drive (ive never had a 0 intervention drive nor do i try to). One intervention due to sub optimal stop and go traffic behavior on the interstate, and the other because I made a mistake. I thought fsd was about to miss the exit when in fact it was correct. It wasn't my exit. I was embarrassed about that one. First time I saw the ending navigation prompt infront of my house too. Very cool.

It’s absolutely essential that you keep your hands on the wheel when using FSD esp. at intersections. There is simply no time to intervene if things go wrong, otherwise.

Your “Euro” cars don’t have FSD.
I only use FSD in freeway driving. Never anywhere else. No way you could trust it anywhere else.

So - no it is not essential and yes my Euro cars do everything my Model S does on the freeway, as good or better.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
The warnings to pay attention are way too often now. I can pickup my phone and quickly try to change a setting to Bluetooth and I get a warning now. That never happened before. Very annoying. If that keeps happening will just dump the beta. What is the point of FSD if you can’t even do that?

My eyes are not off the road. Again, what is the point of FSD if you have to hold onto the steering wheel and can never look away. Might as well drive on my own. This whole new quicker warning is a step backwards and is no way FSD if you keep getting an annoying warning like that constantly compared to last software version. The last software version was just the right amount of time on the warnings.

Can’t believe anyone would disagree with that statement and think that FSD is something where your hands are on the steering wheel 24/7. Euro cars are way ahead if that is the case. My BMW does not do this and neither does Mercedes.

false equivalency. You can take your hands off the wheel for quite some time without a nag, esp if your speed is slow. You can also look away for a good 10 seconds before the car nags. But phone distraction is much more strict, by design. I don't have v11, so I can't speak to how much more sensitive it is, but based on vids I've seen for 10.x, it was always pretty sensitive if it detected a phone in your hands.

Yep, as I have alluded to earlier - a change affecting CVC 40802(a)(2).

It does look limited in effect since as described by LAT, it seems to only apply to limits where traffic studies increased limits (and thus allows lowering of those new enforceable limits by 5mph I guess?). “allowing cities to restore previously set lower speeds. Under the law signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom in October, speed limits may be reduced by no more than 5 mph.”

So hopefully not applicable in my neighborhood (where speed creep has been stopped by not raising limits, which has the side effect of making the limits unenforceable, which reduces my stress greatly, as I drive at a reasonable speed).

I doubt this will have much impact on safety, unfortunately.

Still off topic! Oh well! I promise this is my last input.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Dewg
My eyes are not off the road. Again, what is the point of FSD if you have to hold onto the steering wheel and can never look away. Might as well drive on my own. This whole new quicker warning is a step backwards and is no way FSD if you keep getting an annoying warning like that constantly compared to last software version. The last software version was just the right amount of time on the warnings.

Can’t believe anyone would disagree with that statement and think that FSD is something where your hands are on the steering wheel 24/7. Euro cars are way ahead if that is the case. My BMW does not do this and neither does Mercedes.
Just want to say that I agree. Despite me pressing the disagree button. I was going to like it but then saw you disagreed with my message, and that was it, you’re my least favorite person from Ohio

I drove on FSD 11.3.3 with the wife today. It did really well including a crazy event on the highway where we were going like 50+ mph as we were approaching a highway interchange. Somewhere in front someone started to slow down significantly and the people in front started braking late. Multiple cars in front had to start slamming their brakes. My car began using AEB. The situation was definitely the first time my car has activated AEB in a driving situation on the highway which was startling. But the entire thing seemed quite safe from the ego car's standpoint. I did of course disengage once I realized how quickly people were coming to a stop but FSD had already started to slow down quickly and activated AEB.

Apart from this scary moment that wasn't at all FSD related the drive was very smooth and highway driving was so so good on FSD. I think I like using average and assertive + minimum lane change on highways.

I echo what other people said about wishing merges would happen quicker. I feel that can be dialed in without too much trouble by Tesla.