Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Why are you only allowed 3 strikes?
I am allowed 5... well, now 4. Got my first one today after almost 2 years of FSD.
I earned it.. on the highway in the middle of nowhere, with no other cars around. holding phone and voice texting because the phone couldn't hear me while charging.
I told you how to do that the right way and don't you have messages synced? voice to text works better than FSDj for me. You only have to repeat yourself 3 or 4x and nobody flips you off

Last edited:
I purchased new and ordered my FSD at the time of purchase ($15k). It took between two and three weeks before FSD became available for me, and, I did not have any safety score BS to go through, or any application process. A software upgrade showed up, I installed it, and then FSD 11.4.1 was available.

Joe

I'm hoping that going forward Tesla keeps a 'stable' FSDb version available for new users to get immediately after subscribing/requesting FSDb. We have a new Model Y without FSD that I would like to be able to use for long trips by subscribing to FSD for a month and get FSDb, with its superior highway driving. The only way this works is for FSDb to be available very soon after subscribing.

Time to vent after trying a little 11.3.6 in this morning's drive. Recall I avoid its use near intersections or congested traffic to avoid the aggravation. In any event, driving on a 40mph road, a distant car in the left turn lane turned in front of me well beyond any need for or thought for me to even consider covering the brakes but FSDj needed to abruptly slam on the brakes as if an accident was imminent. It's stuff like that's inexcusable for me. I think more than one past release note has talk about improvements in cross traffic path and kinematics including double digit % improvements all to no avail. FSDj needs an enema!

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Time to vent after trying a little 11.3.6 in this morning's drive. Recall I avoid its use near intersections or congested traffic to avoid the aggravation. In any event, driving on a 40mph road, a distant car in the left turn lane turned in front of me well beyond any need for or thought for me to even consider covering the brakes but FSDj needed to abruptly slam on the brakes as if an accident was imminent. It's stuff like that's inexcusable for me. I think more than one past release note has talk about improvements in cross traffic path and kinematics including double digit % improvements all to no avail. FSDj needs an enema!
Near a T-junction, a bike turned from the left road ... FSD slammed on the brakes. Doesn't happen often ... but once in a while, it gets it wrong.

Cross traffic has been ok in recent releases for me.

I have to assume 11.3.6 is for USS hardware 3 and below and 11.4.1 for hardware 4 since it doesn't seem they worked out a viable solution for vision only park assist yet so I imagine 11.4.2 and beyond will be below the main 2023 track until this is solved.
There are many HW3 cars on 11.4.1. In all likelihood the "...easy to fix bugs...[to] address excess conservatism....lane changes...." is far LESS easy than Elon thought. So 23.12.10 is just a stop gap version to get more people on and buying FSD since 11.4.2 is MIA. We should see a posable version like 23.12.15/11.4.2 in a week or 2. This will again be in the limited slow careful rollout and may be a couple to few point versions more before most get it.

Last edited:
"...easy to fix bugs...[to] address excess conservatism....lane changes...." is far LESS easy than Elon thought.
Yes - more conservative = safer. (no, not talking politics ;) )

So, if you forego "excess" conservatism .... the safety is reduced.

Two things we don't talk enough - which might explain a lot of the short comings of FSD ...
- It is slow i.e. there is a lot of latency in processing/decision making
- It has higher uncertainty in terms of location of various objects in the environment

Interestingly - these are the two things I thought FSD would excel at - I mean its a computer so, it should be able to measure the distances better than a human and it should be faster !

Of the barium variety…

• Funny
Reactions: Pdubs
Yes - more conservative = safer. (no, not talking politics ;) )

So, if you forego "excess" conservatism .... the safety is reduced.

Two things we don't talk enough - which might explain a lot of the short comings of FSD ...
- It is slow i.e. there is a lot of latency in processing/decision making
- It has higher uncertainty in terms of location of various objects in the environment

Interestingly - these are the two things I thought FSD would excel at - I mean its a computer so, it should be able to measure the distances better than a human and it should be faster !
After a certain point, I'd say more conservatism becomes more dangerous if there are other drivers involved as they get frustrated and start making maneuvers that put everyone in danger.

Sorry for the stupid question but what the hell is FSDj? What’s the j?
You'll certainly hear more from others...but...it's FSD (junk). You may also see FSDp which is FSD (perfect).
Members here are often in one camp or the other. I'm of the opinion that it's a mix and briefly used this avatar to represent that.
Star FSDp The glass is.jpg