Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Just did my short 3 mile round trip joy ride on 11.4.2 tonight; it's still lacking smooth and confident stopping / going. Its behavior is really different than 11.3.6; the overall driving is more assertive and appropriate to get to the destination, but there's still a lot of rough edges (does unnatural / abrupt maneuvers / slowdowns).

At some point, Tesla will polish it up and make it silky smooth as Elon promised. Until then, the slightly rough stopping and going will continue to bother me :) (although it's not a show stopper)

Just did my short 3 mile round trip joy ride on 11.4.2 tonight; it's still lacking smooth and confident stopping / going. Its behavior is really different than 11.3.6; the overall driving is more assertive and appropriate to get to the destination, but there's still a lot of rough edges (does unnatural / abrupt maneuvers / slowdowns).

At some point, Tesla will polish it up and make it silky smooth as Elon promised. Until then, the slightly rough stopping and going will continue to bother me :) (although it's not a show stopper)
Took my 1st drive.. it was amazing.. rainbows 🌈 and stars 🌟..
Awesome drive.
Wait, that might not of happened. Could of been the acid.

I want me some 11.4.2 FSDpj. Such a large rollout yesterday (TeslaFi 1,300) and AGIAN I'm bringing up the rear. Oh well checked the App 3x this morning and that is enough.

Well since crying in my 🍺 doesn't help might as well watch DirtyTesla's "Finally impresses my wife" video.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Just got FSD beta 11.4.2 yesterday. Very smooth and more self assured. It reacts more quickly now. I am really enjoying the progress on FSD beta. One sticking point though. I prefer minimal lane changes when using FSD and I have to select it every time I start FSD. I do hope Tesla changes the setting to be driver preference instead of defaulting to off.

I just finished 11.4.2 test early this morning.

FSD setting: Chill

Test 1: Going to work from home. This test is considered passed (failed if judged by a DMV examiner)
Details:
a)2 ULTs, 1 URT, 1 PRT from home to 50 mph street. FSD did good job on these turns. I dared not try these before.

b)1 PLT from 2 left turn lanes to freeway. FSD selected the leftmost left turn lane. It made a late change to this lane. It waited to the last minute to cross the beginning of the solid white lane then quickly crossed the rightmost left turn lane to the leftmost left turn lane. DMV examiner may fail this. (In normal daily traffic, drivers do this to cut the long line of cars to get into the freeway earlier). 10.69 failed this before.

c) 2 PRTs from freeway to 4 lane street (35 mph). FSD selected the left most lane but turned to the 3rd lane on the street. Ideally it should turn to the 1st or 2nd lane to give way to the driver on the right side. I dared not try these before.

d) 1 PRT (URT if red line is on) from 50 mph street to another street. FSD moved the car to the designated right turn section but did not move completely into that section. It turned while the left wheels were still about 1 ft outside of the designated right turn section. 10.69 failed this (it turned while not in the designated right turn lane).

Test 2: Going back from work to home. This test failed.
The car went thru the reverse routes described in Test 1 above.
FSD managed successfully on those routes but failed when it made the left turn from the 50mph street to the neighborhood. It correctly moved the car to the designated left turn lane. I was happy. But suddenly FSD moved the car back the regular high speed lane. I disengaged and did not have time to make report.

Overall: a lot of improvement but I cannot completely use FSD to navigate from home to work and from work to home when traffic is heavy. I can only use FSD with confidence without making left/right turns.

Waiting for 11.5.x.

Last edited:
PSA: For those experiencing unusual amounts of hesitation, visualization glitches, or red-hands system errors: it could be your USB drive.

Two days ago, I had a system crash that threw up red-hands and disabled all TACC/FSDb for the remainder of my drive. Even a two-thumb reset didn't fix it.

When I got home, I pulled out my Sentry Mode SSD drive and ran a Check Disk utility on it: irreparable drive errors. I removed my music partition and formatted the drive, and let my Model 3 sleep over night.

The next day, not only was FSDb back, but it was driving smoother than ever. Much less hesitation and latency, much smoother driving, and several zero-disengagement drives.

I don't know if the FSD computer mounts the Sentry Mode drive directly (maybe it uses the space to cache clips), but it's pretty clear to me now that drive errors do seem to negatively impact FSDb performance.