Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I don’t think his videos are fake…. I just don’t have the same experience 😅😅 I posted 6 videos including 2 short drives and how much it screws up on every single drive. Is it a different model issue? Different state issue? Who knows.
You'd need to find someone in your area with a comparable car (Model S, right?) and FSD Beta to test your routes. The weird errors you get from time to time make me think it's something more than just FSD Beta software issues - there may be hardware issues that haven't had a user-supplied alert until recent updates.

Next time you get one of those weird errors pop up - use the voice button and say "bug report" and then open a service ticket for the error and reference the bug report date/time you took so service can see what the telemetry is telling them.

I don’t think his videos are fake…. I just don’t have the same experience 😅😅 I posted 6 videos including 2 short drives and how much it screws up on every single drive. Is it a different model issue? Different state issue? Who knows.
I posted elsewhere - #JunkTeam has the "j" version.

Seriously, its the same thing we have been discussing, in no particular order
- Learning curve
- Regional variation
- Different situations
- 3/Y vs S/X

If he had to go through different gates, it would not have worked. If he had to go through multiple roundabouts, it wouldn't have worked. etc.

Currently its about how best to use FSD. Its not about proving whether it works or if its junk.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I forgot to ask, does Apple Maps navigation have a routing preference option to avoid or minimize unprotected lefts? I would like to see this in the Tesla. With the marginal UPL performance it has now, I do try to manipulate the nav to avoid some of them.
It does not. It just really never gives them to you unless it has too. It also has way more up to date construction data etc.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I installed 11.4.3 (2023.7.15) last night. On a drive with my wife today it attempted to pull out in front of a 45 MPH moving car that would have hit or had to swerve around us. I slammed on the brakes when I realized it was "going for it". It did stop at the stop sign ... "creep forward for visibility" (which was clear and long) before it started to go. Zero excuses for this behavior IMO.

A short while later it *slowly* "creep forward for visibility" in a couple spots that were wide open viewing for 30+ seconds as it approached the T intersection. It really is absurd.

I really wonder how much of this is its limited 90 (right) and 180 (left) degree visibility angles with modest cameras.
Comparison: Camera POV - Mobileyes SuperVision requirements on their partner Zeekr

With the 2023.20.x software (which FSDb testers probably won't get for a while), it looks like they've enabled viewing for all of the cameras, including the formerly unviewable B-pillar cameras. This is documented to be true for Sentry mode, but I assume for dashcam recording/playback also.

When that happens, it will enable us to save dash lcam clips of these events, so that we can try to understand what the car thought it was seeing when it feels like it's about to commit to a turn right in front of oncoming traffic.

This happens to me sometimes also. I think at least some of these are due to a very clumsy "creep" adjustment, with enough jerk that it feels just like it's initiating the turn. It obviously knows how to creep slowly and gently, because we experience this all the time that stop signs as you mentioned. But when it lunges forward, you can't wait around to see if it's really going to throw you in front of the oncoming car - you just have to slam the brakes.

(BTW, your FSD experience message and my reply probably belong in the FSD 11.x thread. This thread is more for tracking and discussion of industry-wide autonomous car developments.)

Thanks. I think we have a very very good idea what the B-pillar "sees" from its angle from the several videos that Chuck Cook did.
Here is a link to them: https://www.youtube.com/@ChuckCook/search?query=B-Pillar

It does not. It just really never gives them to you unless it has too. It also has way more up to date construction data etc.
A road I take to work closed a few weeks ago. When I left for work just before 6 FSDb took me on the road (not yet closed.) on my way home in the afternoon/evening it avoided it. Not sure if that’s typical or an anomaly, but it’s pretty up to date.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis and JHCCAZ
Using FSD beta makes you realize how freaking absurdly hard driving is and how insanely smart humans are. Just something to think about.
I posted this before, but driving has evolved around human strengths and roads are designed to play to those strengths and minimize our weaknesses. Computers have an entirely different set of strengths and weaknesses but we’re trying to use them to drive on human roads. If the roads were designed for computers we’d probably be talking about how humans are junk and how insanely smart computers are.

The human brain is indeed incredible - we easily track and perceive depth, motion, plot courses, anticipate others’ actions etc. I share your appreciation for just how much goes on subconsciously when we drive.

- Learning curve
- Regional variation
- Different situations
- 3/Y vs S/X

If he had to go through different gates, it would not have worked. If he had to go through multiple roundabouts, it wouldn't have worked. etc.

Currently its about how best to use FSD. Its not about proving whether it works or if its junk.
And being honest about how it doesn't live up to the hype.

I got to say 11.4.2 is awesome. I went to four appointments today with maybe one intervention or I disconnected the auto pilot to change route. A couple of Accelerator pushes, but it even handled the roundabout very well. This version is the best version I’ve experienced so far. Much farther from junk then everybody else is saying, but again different experiences for different drivers.

I installed 11.4.3 (2023.7.15) last night. On a drive with my wife today it attempted to pull out in front of a 45 MPH moving car that would have hit or had to swerve around us. I slammed on the brakes when I realized it was "going for it". It did stop at the stop sign ... "creep forward for visibility" (which was clear and long) before it started to go. Zero excuses for this behavior IMO.

A short while later it *slowly* "creep forward for visibility" in a couple spots that were wide open viewing for 30+ seconds as it approached the T intersection. It really is absurd.

I really wonder how much of this is its limited 90 (right) and 180 (left) degree visibility angles with modest cameras.
Comparison: Camera POV - Mobileyes SuperVision requirements on their partner Zeekr
Unfortunately there's been a few of those cases as well from the first uploaded youtube videos for j11.43. Creep/planner might be more challenged with this release.

I got to say 11.4.2 is awesome. I went to four appointments today with maybe one intervention or I disconnected the auto pilot to change route. A couple of Accelerator pushes, but it even handled the roundabout very well. This version is the best version I’ve experienced so far. Much farther from junk then everybody else is saying, but again different experiences for different drivers.
Accelerator pushes work many times but they can also one in trouble. Sometimes FSDj wants to launch immediately after the creep and without full visibility. In those cases one needs to be ready to hit the brake after the accel push as it can get ugly real quick. All FSDj interventions are not necessarily good interventions as some imply. Sometimes we need to let junk be junk or better yet disengage.

Reactions: Pdubs and jebinc
Whose SOLAR do you have? I'm interested...thx!
A local company in Florida, they are an authorized Tesla powerwall dealer. Not going with Tesla also allowed me to use micro-inverters and get panel level statistics vs the string inverter technology they use.

- Learning curve
- Regional variation
- Different situations
- 3/Y vs S/X

How do I best use it to get it to select turning lanes appropriately? In one of my videos it tried jumping into a wrong turning lane, in the other it failed to get into the turning lane, stopped in the middle of intersection, and then went straight clickity clacking the turn signals in different directions.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Pdubs and jebinc