Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
That I know is not true. I emailed their early access email generates this in their auto-response:

The question is, can you remove your self, get updated to later branch (that includes 11.4.4 at this point) and use FSD? Or would you need to re-request beta access?
I'm guessing the later...
Anyone done this?
Nope. Been emailing early access and FSD beta, daily, for more than a month ZERO action or reply. ZERO.

That I know is not true. I emailed their early access email generates this in their auto-response:

The question is, can you remove your self, get updated to later branch (that includes 11.4.4 at this point) and use FSD? Or would you need to re-request beta access?
I'm guessing the later...
Anyone done this?
It is a blackhole email with an auto echo response. Your request goes in but nothing comes out of it. At least not for me and ALL others that have tried. Here is a list of people who say they emailed and got removed in the last 6 months. Let me know of any names I need to add to it.

1 (placeholder)

It is a blackhole email with an auto echo response. Your request goes in but nothing comes out of it. At least not for me and ALL others that have tried. Here is a list of people who say they emailed and got removed in the last 6 months. Let me know of any names I need to add to it.

1 (placeholder)
I saw someone was able to get out and get back on 11.3.6 back in July. I think it was on this very same thread. Maybe they got a new employee who didn't get the memo that all emails are supposed to be summarily deleted and ignored.

I saw someone was able to get out and get back on 11.3.6 back in July. I think it was on this very same thread. Maybe they got a new employee who didn't get the memo that all emails are supposed to be summarily deleted and ignored.
I think you're referring to the guy I just quoted a few back. He said he opened a service request. I just opened one and seeing where that goes.

Reactions: zoomer0056
“The guy” has a name, you know 😉
Haha... Yes, This guy! Sorry was too lazy to scroll back 🤣

I put my service request in as an issue with the Touchscreen as any other option told me my software was up to date. Scheduled Mobile service for next week. Have a buddy who is a service advisor at the local service center who is looking into it from his end too.

Haha... Yes, This guy! Sorry was too lazy to scroll back 🤣

I put my service request in as an issue with the Touchscreen as any other option told me my software was up to date. Scheduled Mobile service for next week. Have a buddy who is a service advisor at the local service center who is looking into it from his end too.
All good, just teasing. Good luck with your service “appointment”!

Watch the display for darkened/highlighted vehicles in adjacent lanes. My car incorrectly identifies vehicles of concern and slows for them all the time now.

As per my previous comment here is a photo of my car absolutely jamming on the brakes for a car to my left which is in a lane separated by bollards that never merges with the lane I’m occupying.

This behavior has been awful in the 11.4.x series. The car regularly misidentifies and highlights vehicles of concern in adjacent lanes and slams on the brakes. It’s been doing it so long on this part of the 110 freeway in LA that I knew right when to get out the camera.

IMG_5534.jpeg

This behavior has been awful in the 11.4.x series. The car regularly misidentifies and highlights vehicles of concern in adjacent lanes and slams on the brakes. It’s been doing it so long on this part of the 110 freeway in LA that I knew right when to get out the camera.

IMG_5534.jpeg
That doesn't look like you are using FSDb... Is that just standard AP/NoA?

That doesn't look like you are using FSDb... Is that just standard AP/NoA?
Yes, I have FSDb turned off for freeway drives because this same behavior results in a pile of unwanted lane changes when using FSDb.

The old autopilot stack must use some part of the FSD software because the behavior spills over.

My previous car did this exact same thing and when I got the Y it drove beautifully. I was so pleased. When the FSD transferred to the Y the behavior came right back whether or not I had FSDb engaged.

So FSDb is unusable for me on the freeway because I can’t disable lane changes and some part of it has “infected” the old software rendering that so uncomfortable that I just don’t bother using it much.

Edit: If FSDb were engaged in this exact spot the car would dart abruptly into the lane to the right to avoid the collision it thinks is going to happen with the car on the other side of the bollards. Then it would realize there’s no collision and switch lanes to the left. Rinse, repeat.

Since you are on AP lane keeping why not just move over one lane to the right of this section. Or just use NOA with auto lane change disabled and just move over one lane manually.
It incorrectly identifies cars of concern in many dozens of locations around Southern California. A few weeks ago it did this for a car three lanes over on the 14 freeway. The car in that lane was highlighted on the screen and my car slammed on the brakes.

The juice ain’t worth the squeeze. It is so broken in so many locations that it’s a pain to try and keep track of where it’s going to drop anchor. Additionally, moving over a lane doesn’t necessarily prevent this behavior.

Odd, I drive with FSD Beta (11.4.7) on the 91 (which has express lanes exactly like the picture) and my car does not slow at all. I also use MLC for all drives.
Yep, it’s odd. And very unpleasant.

The 110, 10 east and west, and the 14 are huge autopilot messes, either with the legacy software (when paired with 11.4.x firmware) or FSDb.

Anyway now y’all have a pic of autopilot on a freeway traversed by thousands of Teslas daily slamming on the brakes for a car a lane over separated by bollards. It did it on my HW3 Model 3 and now on my HW4 Model Y, so it’s not the car or defective cameras or something.

I don’t even bother with TACC or autopilot if anyone else is in the car anymore; it’s largely unusable.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
It did it on my HW3 Model 3 and now on my HW4 Model Y, so it’s not the car or defective cameras or something.
The fact that my car does not exhibit those symptoms would logically disprove your hypothesis that it's not the car. If it was a flaw in HW3 and HW4 design, then logically all HW3 and HW4 cars would exhibit the same symptoms when driving next to express lanes separated by bollards. I wish there was something I could think of to help you, but you seem a capable person who has tried all the tips/tricks with your car.

My only suggestion is to re-enable FSD Beta on your car. The Beta stack on the freeway dramatically improves performance - the most obvious being performance around cut-ins and cut-outs. If the car thinks another car is going to cut-in, AP/NoA may brake pretty uncomfortably, but Beta handles that smoothly and only starts slowing (more comfortably) if the car cutting in is moving slower than your speed. Being in SoCal, I get cut-ins frequently, and the vast majority of them never illicit a response from my car, as long as the cut-in is going my speed or faster.

The fact that my car does not exhibit those symptoms would logically disprove your hypothesis that it's not the car. If it was a flaw in HW3 and HW4 design, then logically all HW3 and HW4 cars would exhibit the same symptoms when driving next to express lanes separated by bollards. I wish there was something I could think of to help you, but you seem a capable person who has tried all the tips/tricks with your car.

My only suggestion is to re-enable FSD Beta on your car. The Beta stack on the freeway dramatically improves performance - the most obvious being performance around cut-ins and cut-outs. If the car thinks another car is going to cut-in, AP/NoA may brake pretty uncomfortably, but Beta handles that smoothly and only starts slowing (more comfortably) if the car cutting in is moving slower than your speed. Being in SoCal, I get cut-ins frequently, and the vast majority of them never illicit a response from my car, as long as the cut-in is going my speed or faster.
It doesn’t do it next to express lanes separated by bollards, it does it by this express lane separated by bollards. In this region.

I was able to take a photo because I knew it would happen; it’s been happening since 11.4.x dropped. I can reproduce this behavior at will at a number of spots around SoCal.

I’ve tried every permutation of FSDb on/off, MLC on/off, and so on. If I have beta enabled on the 110 the car has another flaw where it will try to get off the freeway and then get right back on in the same spots every day. It’s been doing this for many years but when I could disable lane changes I would just ignore the prompts and the car would proceed after it figured out we weren’t getting off the freeway to drive 200 feet and get right back on.
IMG_4164.jpeg

Since you can’t disable lane changes in beta this means that the flaw results in endless disengagements trying to keep the car from exiting and reentering the freeway. If I switch to TACC or old school autopilot to avoid the phenomenon I end up with the condition above where it slams on the brakes for totally harmless adjacent cars.

It’s effectively unusable and has been for quite some time. With every software release I spend a week or two fighting with it and then give up.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve