Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
A couple days ago I drove home from work, running some errands and making 3 stops along the way. Probably 20-25 miles total and 45-50 minutes of driving. The only time I had to take over was when there was some construction, half the road was blocked off and a flatbed semi was parked on the wiring side of the road. There was one spot where FSD drifted into a turn lane instead of going straight but was able to correct itself. This has been a perennial problem for FSD and was actually fixed on the last version but regressed with 4.7 so I’m not sure how to classify it. It doesn’t do it perfectly but if figures out it’s mistake and corrects it.

Either way, despite all the imperfections I can’t see how people say it’s worthless or junk or that no progress has been made.
Let me know the next time you’re in LA and get ready for a wild ride.

Just received 2023.32.4. FSD stayed the same at 14.4.4 but what did change were navigation maps.
Updated to NA-2022.44.14515-3282. The change was 3282 was added as a suffix.
2nd software update since upgrading to a new Model Y with HW4.

Haven't driven yet.
First, screwed up the FSD version #. Should have stated 11.4.4.
Updated map didn't affect FSD after a couple of drives.

What's odd is that TeslaFi doesn't show anyone with the map I got yesterday "NA-2022.44.14515-3282."
Many are getting "NA-2023.20-14566". Anyone else have the new map version I have?

Navigation Map Sept 15 2023.jpg

Anyone have any luck being moved from the "Early FSD" group to the "Mainline FSD" group? I'm pretty sad about still being on 2023.7.30 when there are some features I have wanted that have been out since spring lol.
Yep, I managed to do it a little while back!
See this post for more details:

Today's 11.4.7 FSDb fun. Driving on a rural 4-lane divided state highway (not a limited access interstate-like road) with many surface level intersections that had short turn lanes that branched off of the thru lanes.

FSDb attempted to move into about half of these turn lanes. It must have thought it was on a limited access highway and that these were a third lane opening up. I finally got tired of disengaging and put the car in the right lane and turned on Minimal Lane Changes. After that, the car behaved itself.

FSDb attempted to move into about half of these turn lanes. It must have thought it was on a limited access highway and that these were a third lane opening up. I finally got tired of disengaging and put the car in the right lane and turned on Minimal Lane Changes. After that, the car behaved itself.
This has been one of my biggest gripes of FSD for months. 11.4.7 seems to have actually gotten worse with it, IME/IMO. :/ It has gotten better but it's hard to understand why they haven't fixed it since it's such a major issue. From a human perspective the path is obvious. My assumption is that the programming solution is not as obvious is the visual solution is, otherwise they would have fixed it by now. Either way I share your frustration.

Last edited:
This has been one of my biggest gripes of FSD for months. 11.4.7 seems to have actually gotten worse with it, IME/IMO. :/ It has gotten better but it's hard to understand why they haven't fixed it since it's such a major issue. From a human perspective the path is obvious. My assumption is that the programming solution is not as obvious is the visual solution is, otherwise they would have fixed it by now. Either way I share your frustration.
On city streets I find FSDb doing this, though not very often. I was surprised how often it pulled into left turn lanes on this state highway, especially given that this is a 75 mph road with the car doing 81 at the time. Definitely still needs work.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Updated to 2023.32.4 yesterday, which is v11.4.4, still on this other beta track since transferring FSD to the new M3P. Updated from 11.3.6. Now I have windshield wipers. Only problem is they auto-activate without rain to wipe off the dried Montana bugs. And I can't turn off the wipers. By default on auto with the other buttons dimmed out. Had this problem several versions past. Anyway, sure this has been discussed, just needed to complain, FSDjwtfp........

I seriously want to know if @STUtoday is a bot. No input and any disparaging remarks about EM or Tesla and its thumbs down. And not normal thumbs down. Weird, no counterpoint thumbs down. He’s more in sync with that thumbs down button than a pair of incestuous ice dancers.
No kidding. Never posts, only downvotes. Not sure I’ve ever seen a thumbs up or other reaction type from this member/bot/whatever.

It is so incredibly inconsistent. Today at a right-hand turn, the rear right wheel went over the curb.
The next turn was a left turn and car went off the toad into the grass with the front right wheel. I have done the same route so many times and it was never so bad as today.

I remain very skeptical about the whole FSD being solved. It works nice on the highway but the inconsistency is something I don't understand. I mean. It is a computer, right? It should always behave the same..

Reactions: Pdubs and jebinc
It is so incredibly inconsistent. Today at a right-hand turn, the rear right wheel went over the curb.
The next turn was a left turn and car went off the toad into the grass with the front right wheel. I have done the same route so many times and it was never so bad as today.

I remain very skeptical about the whole FSD being solved. It works nice on the highway but the inconsistency is something I don't understand. I mean. It is a computer, right? It should always behave the same..
Yeah, it’s puzzling. First two weeks, 11.4.7 was pretty awful. This week, I’ve had surprisingly good drives, last three days really decent. I wonder why over time it gets better? Same thing happened on 11.4.4. Started off like *sugar*, then got pretty alright, ok.

Noticed this back on 11.4.4 and now on 11.4.7:

Car is plugged in, sitting in my driveway. I’m in my garage working on old junk snowmobiles. I hear the contactors repeatedly cycling, like they do when a software update happens. Anyone else notice this?

My HW4 11.4.7 MSP does this every chance it gets when a right lane opens up… it does not care if it is a turn only lane. You may be on to something; I am going to test and see if Minimize Lane Changes alters this behavior.

Joe

Today's 11.4.7 FSDb fun. Driving on a rural 4-lane divided state highway (not a limited access interstate-like road) with many surface level intersections that had short turn lanes that branched off of the thru lanes.

You're citing old incidents that happened prior to Tesla Vision where Tesla had radar (hitting emergency vehicles, because radar cannot detect stopped vehicles), and staged pieces where a competing autonomous software development firm dragged baby-dolls across the road in an attempt to show FSD Beta was dangerous.

Don't believe uncontrolled "experiments" run by competitors, look at how auto-regulators test and rate Tesla Vision:

Reactions: jebinc and GSP