Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Therefore if I don’t want to do the FSDb hand holding I should turn it off and use the legacy software. I get that too.

They broke the legacy software and now my car slams on the brakes for adjacent cars while using it.
Yeah, unfortunately there's not much I can help with on that one. You really just have to hand hold it. On the other hand, remember that the legacy stack is going away sometime and being replaced with the FSD Beta stack even for non FSD people.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The 39th street jog is on the 110 north in the express lanes from Gardena to Downtown LA. I typically drive this route in the morning around 7:15 AM. The car will show the correct route on departure, without the weird deviation, and then it will reroute mid drive to include the 39th street jog. It never shows the deviation when setting off.

If you’re doing my ”chicken run” route from the spreadsheet it’s hard to predict the exact routing because traffic conditions vary so much in urban environments. I’ve been doing it a long time and it’s never perfectly consistent, but it’s a fun test with a variety of driving situations.

I’m very curious to hear your experience!
I don't think I will run the city street driving much. My main use of FSD or AP/NOA is on my frequent long drives to SF. On that it help me quite a bit and gave me some "rest" on the mid section of I-5.

The state of FSD on city street driving now is giving more stress than help or assists. Just imagine on top of watching the road just as before and add to it to watch for the crazy moves of FSD. It really is not worth it to use it for short 10-20 minutes drives.

I have mentioned that a good test of FSD on city driving is to take it to the DMV drivers license test. The latest version of FSD beta barely get through the few residential streets around my house. It still not quite stay to the right on unmarked roads. Taking wide Right and Left turns. The killer is steering to the right before taking a left and steering to the left to take a right? Stopping with steering wheel not straight. Stopping in the middle of a turn. Cutting corners. All the fundamentals of good safe driving practices are missing!

I am really wondering how they can make v12 work. If they take the FSD beta drives as examples to train, it will further contaminate the learning.

Reactions: mtndrew1
So after reviewing all of your details:

This behavior has been awful in the 11.4.x series. The car regularly misidentifies and highlights vehicles of concern in adjacent lanes and slams on the brakes. It’s been doing it so long on this part of the 110 freeway in LA that I knew right when to get out the camera.
You clarified that this is not on FSDb, just standard AP/NoA. (Phantom braking is a problem with AP/NoA which is one of the main reasons people wants FSDb, it is so much better in that regard.)

So FSDb is unusable for me on the freeway because I can’t disable lane changes and some part of it has “infected” the old software rendering that so uncomfortable that I just don’t bother using it much.

If I have beta enabled on the 110 the car has another flaw where it will try to get off the freeway and then get right back on in the same spots every day. It’s been doing this for many years but when I could disable lane changes I would just ignore the prompts and the car would proceed after it figured out we weren’t getting off the freeway to drive 200 feet and get right back on.
It doesn't sound like your problem is actually lane changes, which for the most part can be disabled by the Minimize Lane Changes setting, it is that FSDb always follows the navigation route.

It doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in the development of FSD that for five years Tesla hasn’t fixed this relatively simple problem and instead went backwards.

Disabling the navigation tonight on the section in question improved the performance. It did not hit the brakes for cars on the other side of the bollards.

So to avoid the car misidentifying cars in adjacent lanes and slamming on the brakes I need to use FSDb but in order to prevent it careening around on an incorrect route I need to turn off navigation for areas in which it struggles. What a mess.

It seems like your main, only?, issue with FSDb is that you can't stop it from following the navigation route. (And it really wouldn't be FSD if it didn't follow the navigation route.) It sounds like the navigation route issue has been a problem for a long time, and it isn't FSDb related. (I'm sure navigation is handled by an entirely different team at Tesla.)

Have you tried setting a waypoint on the 110 just past the exit it wants to take to force it to stay on?

You clarified that this is not on FSDb, just standard AP/NoA. (Phantom braking is a problem with AP/NoA which is one of the main reasons people wants FSDb, it is so much better in that regard.)

It doesn't sound like your problem is actually lane changes, which for the most part can be disabled by the Minimize Lane Changes setting, it is that FSDb always follows the navigation route.

It seems like your main, only?, issue with FSDb is that you can't stop it from following the navigation route. (And it really wouldn't be FSD if it didn't follow the navigation route.) It sounds like the navigation route issue has been a problem for a long time, and it isn't FSDb related. (I'm sure navigation is handled by an entirely different team at Tesla.)

Have you tried setting a waypoint on the 110 just past the exit it wants to take to force it to stay on?
You understand correctly. The inability to turn off lane changes in FSDb ruins it on the highway for most of my use cases.

That would be fine if the legacy stack worked properly but, starting with firmwares including 11.4.x, the car does this particular new phantom braking wherein it slams on the brakes for cars highlighted in adjacent lanes.

I’ve got about 75k miles of autopilot driving under my belt over more than five years; I’m very familiar with phantom braking and so forth. There is a new behavior here and it started with firmwares including 11.4.x.

I had the same problem with 110 when I went home from Burbank 3 weeks ago.
I think something is wrong with the map in that area. FSD works fine for me in other freeways in Orange County and LA.
Can you edit route to choose another route?

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
Can you edit route to choose another route?
For this issue I think you would have to add a waypoint to try to force it to stay on. (Since at least for @mtndrew1's issue it isn't the route itself, as it doesn't start off like that it adjusts mid-drive to get off to go around something. Almost like traffic aware rerouting, but I thought @mtndrew1 had said that they have tried disabling that feature and it didn't make any difference.)

Reactions: rlsd and mtndrew1
The 39th street jog is on the 110 north in the express lanes from Gardena to Downtown LA. I typically drive this route in the morning around 7:15 AM. The car will show the correct route on departure, without the weird deviation, and then it will reroute mid drive to include the 39th street jog. It never shows the deviation when setting off.

If you’re doing my ”chicken run” route from the spreadsheet it’s hard to predict the exact routing because traffic conditions vary so much in urban environments. I’ve been doing it a long time and it’s never perfectly consistent, but it’s a fun test with a variety of driving situations.

I’m very curious to hear your experience!
Well, I was about to head out to go to downtown. One check on Google map stopped me. There are already 2 accidents on 110N, red all the way with reroutes to surface streets between 105 and 10. I will wait! 😂

For this issue I think you would have to add a waypoint to try to force it to stay on. (Since at least for @mtndrew1's issue it isn't the route itself, as it doesn't start off like that it adjusts mid-drive to get off to go around something. Almost like traffic aware rerouting, but I thought @mtndrew1 had said that they have tried disabling that feature and it didn't make any difference.)
Yes, you can set the destination to some place to avoid that freeway segment then change route on the fly with voice command "navigate to work/home".

You understand correctly. The inability to turn off lane changes in FSDb ruins it on the highway for most of my use cases.

That would be fine if the legacy stack worked properly but, starting with firmwares including 11.4.x, the car does this particular new phantom braking wherein it slams on the brakes for cars highlighted in adjacent lanes.

I’ve got about 75k miles of autopilot driving under my belt over more than five years; I’m very familiar with phantom braking and so forth. There is a new behavior here and it started with firmwares including 11.4.x.
A suggestion to consider. Lane changes drastically reduced for me when I use the minimum setting but the big reduction happened when I used a more realistic speed setting. As shown in your photo you have it set to 80 mph in a 60 mph area in traffic. As you are telling the car you are in a huge hurry Yes it will try to be mad max slot car champ. When I now dial my speed to be Roughly traffic speed plus a few mph it generally stays in lane and drastically reduces lane changes. Just a thought to make FSD be a bit more friendly trying to accommodate your heavy override.

Whoa...

Here comes 14.4.7.1:
Thank God and WAAAAAAAY past time. Bring on Custom Steering Wheel buttons and whatever else. Been so damn long I can''t begin to remember all the features we are missing. Wish someone should to make a looooong list. 🤪

Funny/odd that just like 20.7.x Tesla is using the almost never used odd week designation again. So just like 23.7.x was really a version of 23.6.x it is likely 23.27.x is a version of 23.26.x. Maybe this is some insight that we are not forgotten and hopefully still "early Access" and first (or second or whatever we are) in line to test V12 when it comes out in 2 to 100 months. 🤔

Last edited: