Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Crazy how much of a difference updated maps mean for FSD. Far fewer interventions and weird lane decisions in my neighborhood since getting a 2023 map update. Before the update it would just stutter and get very confused. Tesla really needs to do a better job of getting up to date maps to their cars. My version was over a 14 months old I think before the update.
How can I check which map version I have?

So…

Today, I am coming up on the intersection where my Tesla routinely runs the stop sign… hands on the wheel, foot hovering over the brake just waiting to slam on the brakes… and low and behold, it slows down smoothly and does a perfect stop. Something it has not done since 11.4.7 released.

Of course, I am not going to be stupid enough to relax around rural road stop signs when using FSD, but I will count this one as a win, even if it was just due to a dropped bit somewhere in FSD’s bitstream of consciousness.

Sadly, one of the worst aspects of FSD is that schizophrenia runs in FSD’s DNA, and trusting it is like standing in front of a thoroughbred race horse and asking your friend directly behind the horse to fire off his 50 caliber black powder rifle; you are guaranteed to regret your decision.

Joe

So…

Today, I am coming up on the intersection where my Tesla routinely runs the stop sign… hands on the wheel, foot hovering over the brake just waiting to slam on the brakes… and low and behold, it slows down smoothly and does a perfect stop. Something it has not done since 11.4.7 released.

Of course, I am not going to be stupid enough to relax around rural road stop signs when using FSD, but I will count this one as a win, even if it was just due to a dropped bit somewhere in FSD’s bitstream of consciousness.

Sadly, one of the worst aspects of FSD is that schizophrenia runs in FSD’s DNA, and trusting it is like standing in front of a thoroughbred race horse and asking your friend directly behind the horse to fire off his 50 caliber black powder rifle; you are guaranteed to regret your decision.

Joe
I bet you got a map update.

Now that I know there's a new one, I see mine being very out of date (2022).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Good to hear Doc. I've noticed on .7 that although the nags are just as frequent, the force taken to break the nag is very subtle. Before, I had to jerk it pretty aggressive to break the nag. Now it's just a light nudge.

Totally get the impatience waiting for it in town. Tried "Aggressive" and it was just rude. Like it learned to drive in Puerto Rico or something.
This is my third day with no nags. HW4. About a week ago I noticed that there were times when I either brushed over the capacitive buttons or reached for the bottom of the wheel (not actually touching it) and the nag went away. After a fair amount of experimenting, I found that the interior camera knows if my hand is near or going to touch the wheel, and will cancel the nag or not nag at all. I then found out if you are holding something (cup, phone, bottle) it does not work. Three days ago, I found the placement of my right hand (on my knee, clenched near the wheel) will cause FSDb to never display a nag. I've now had a dozen trips (longest of which is 30ish minutes) and not had a single nag.

Three days ago, I found the placement of my right hand (on my knee, clenched near the wheel) will cause FSDb to never display a nag. I've now had a dozen trips (longest of which is 30ish minutes) and not had a single nag.

Wow, after seeing your video, I've been trying this. I had a 600 mile road trip over the past two days.

I can't replicate your finding at all. With my right hand in that position, I still get a nag. (HW4, brand new Model S long range, FSDb 11.4.4)

Maybe your hand is special. :)

Still no fsd beta yet on my HW4 model x :(

I'm not sure if this is what worked for me or not:

I picked up my car on Sept. 7 and waited a few days. Then I switched the Software download to "Advanced" to get releases quickly, and in a day I had the software update.

(If I could find a way to trigger a map data update, I'd be really happy.)

Today the beta kept wanting to cross solid double yellow lines into the carpool lane on the freeway despite minimum lake changes being selected. It would display something like changing lanes to continue on route. Had to cancel and drive myself as I had passengers.

Then it read every single 55mph speed limit sign for trucks and lowered my speed from 80 (in a 70 zone for cars) to 63 constantly. This is in Central valley California area. It never does this back home in the Bay area but it could be there aren't many such signs back home.

It did very well on the drive down though so not all bad.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and FSDtester#1
Wow, after seeing your video, I've been trying this. I had a 600 mile road trip over the past two days.

I can't replicate your finding at all. With my right hand in that position, I still get a nag. (HW4, brand new Model S long range, FSDb 11.4.4)

Maybe your hand is special. :)
I’m on 11.4.7. It didn’t work on 11.4.4. I didn’t start noticing until I got that update.

Well, they better figure out how to give pedestrians walking on rural roads more room. I just had a guy walking two dogs down a 45mph somewhat country road (marked, not unmarked) flip $hit at me screaming: “fvck you!!!” at the top of his lungs. He was on the correct side of the road, my car slowed down, and moved over, but apparently not enough. Maybe the guy woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Pedestrians on these type of roads were handled fine even back on 10.3.1. Car wouldn’t even slow down, just moved around pedestrians giving them more than ample room, same amount of room I would give them if I was driving.

Well, they better figure out how to give pedestrians walking on rural roads more room. I just had a guy walking two dogs down a 45mph somewhat country road (marked, not unmarked) flip $hit at me screaming: “fvck you!!!” at the top of his lungs. He was on the correct side of the road, my car slowed down, and moved over, but apparently not enough. Maybe the guy woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Pedestrians on these type of roads were handled fine even back on 10.3.1. Car wouldn’t even slow down, just moved around pedestrians giving them more than ample room, same amount of room I would give them if I was driving.
Agree with the pedestrian. FSD never moves over far enough from pedestrians or cyclists IMO. Most people where I live at a minimum straddle the center line and many cross completely over the center line. Plus many slow down as well. FSD waits far too long to move over which makes the pedestrian uneasy and then moves back over too quickly which is unsafe for cyclists who may be moving faster than FSD realizes. This has been a problem forever and early on I was yelled at a couple of times too. In Massachusetts the updated state law requires the vehicle to be at least 4' from the pedestrian/cyclist.

Similar problem with stopped vehicles (FedEx etc.) FSD should move further away and slow down more.

Agree with the pedestrian. FSD never moves over far enough from pedestrians or cyclists IMO. Most people where I live at a minimum straddle the center line and many cross completely over the center line. Plus many slow down as well. FSD waits far too long to move over which makes the pedestrian uneasy and then moves back over too quickly which is unsafe for cyclists who may be moving faster than FSD realizes. This has been a problem forever and early on I was yelled at a couple of times too. In Massachusetts the updated state law requires the vehicle to be at least 4' from the pedestrian/cyclist.

Similar problem with stopped vehicles (FedEx etc.) FSD should move further away and slow down more.
I agree with you as well. Most of the time, I take over to handle these situations, but sometime want to see what it will do. Well, it failed like it normally does. As for cyclists, I get one of the two behaviors:

-slows and paces the rider(s), fails to pass
-moves over like it should.

It’s never consistent though.