Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I think he was referring to Dewg, Yelobird, and the other apologists that constantly justify Tesla’s actions and FSDj’s current state.
Once again, I'm deeply sorry you guys have bad experiences with you cars. I don't know why you do, but I don't. I may have a unicorn car for some reason, or won the Tesla lottery.

My turns don't jerk the wheel, my stop signs don't creep and act indecisive. My slow downs and speedups are smooth. My auto wipers work just fine (granted I don't get to use them too much in SoCal as it doesn't rain too much here).

So when I comment positively, I'm not an apologist. I'm genuinely commenting on my positive experiences. I'm also assuming that most people have similar experiences to me, with the minority of people having issues reporting them here. There are hundreds of thousands of people on FSD Beta, and only a few dozen on TMC with terrible experiences. If it was truly terrible for everyone, would we not see thousands of people here complaining?

Once again, I'm deeply sorry you guys have bad experiences with you cars. I don't know why you do, but I don't. I may have a unicorn car for some reason, or won the Tesla lottery.

My turns don't jerk the wheel, my stop signs don't creep and act indecisive. My slow downs and speedups are smooth. My auto wipers work just fine (granted I don't get to use them too much in SoCal as it doesn't rain too much here).

So when I comment positively, I'm not an apologist. I'm genuinely commenting on my positive experiences. I'm also assuming that most people have similar experiences to me, with the minority of people having issues reporting them here. There are hundreds of thousands of people on FSD Beta, and only a few dozen on TMC with terrible experiences. If it was truly terrible for everyone, would we not see thousands of people here complaining?
I generally like it as well. However I do a bunch of highway driving.
I think one of the main problems is the time between updates.
When we were getting them every 2 to 3 weeks we didn't have time to get a firm
judgement on each build. We all got so used to it, for like 18 months, talking about it being 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Now that it's obvious the priority is V12. Going 1 to 3 months between updates is boring as hell.
They really should just put us back on 11.3.6, which was the most stable build, and all on the latest branch and only update when non beta updates, giving us all the latest stuff. Then whenever V12 is ready, pair it with the latest branch and release it.
Jmho

Last edited:
I generally like it as well. However I do a bunch of highway driving.
I think one of the main problems is the time between updates.
When we were getting them every 2 to 3 weeks we didn't have time to get a firm
judgement on each build. We all got so used to it, for like 18 months, talking about it being 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Now that it's obvious the priority is V12. Going 1 to 3 months between updates is boring as hell.
They really should just put us back on 11.3.6, which was the most stable build, and all on the latest branch and only update when non beta updates, giving us all the latest stuff. Then whenever V12 is ready, pair it with the latest branch and release it.
Jmho
I honestly don’t see the point of V11 at this point at all. It’s clear it’s not the priority so what’s the deal, here? All it does is annoy the people that forked over the most because we’re on such old main branch software. I’m almost in disbelief we got a new update this week (which is still several months behind the main branch).

I honestly don’t see the point of V11 at this point at all. It’s clear it’s not the priority so what’s the deal, here? All it does is annoy the people that forked over the most because we’re on such old main branch software. I’m almost in disbelief we got a new update this week (which is still several months behind the main branch).
Tesla is just reminding you that B.O.H.I.C.A. Is alive and well. 🙌

Dewg does have a good point. Where are the rest of the people who are having bad experiences with the J? There’s no way we’re the only ones. I’m thinking of putting some GoPros in the car and recording more footage of how wild some of this *sugar* is. Especially when the J sends me into the steering yoke with seat belt lock during normal driving situations.

I have a lot more miles on 11.4.7.2 now... and I don't like it but it may be a step in the right direction... 6 months from now.

So it's doing many, but not most, turns it used to do poorly, very human now. Except if there is an obstruction in the lane I'm turning into. Then it'll try to be in a crash. Either literally full stopping mid turn, or trying to run into another car. It's scary. Oh it's also cutting corners now a lot more... even on the interstate.... which makes no sense, it'll now cross the line and hit the grooves on the pavement on ocassion when merging off the interstate. Overall, I have to say taking turns has improved under ideal conditions. Under none ideal conditions, it's bad.

Now on marked roads (curved and uncurved), it's gotten worse. It used to do these 90+ percent accurate. So accurate I felt safe to take my eyes off the road for a few seconds. Not anymore. I'd say its like 60 to 80 peecent accurate. It'll do crazy things rarely. Phantom braking is back for me, for the first time since v10. It sees phantom stop signs, rarely will drift into another lane with the opposite blinker on... will stop in the middle of the road to let people waiting to turn onto the road go ahead... despite the car turning in not having the right of way. It still has poor lane selection, although it's dodging turn only lanes better than 11.4.7.0, it'll routinely pick a suboptimal lane away from the lane i need to be on, even with minimal lane changes enabled.

Unmarked roads are a disaster...

So it’s a feature and not a bug that the car drives down the middle of unmarked (no center line) roads. Sigh.
View attachment 978858

I don't necessarily mind that it drives in the center, I care about how it behaves when it does so:

1. It waits too late to move over for oncoming traffic. The goal is not "barely dodge the oncoming car", the goal should be "move over courteously way earlier, so the other driver doesn't freak out and think you're playing chicken with them".

2. It adjusts back into its own lane when it reaches a stop sign, again at the last minute. However, there are many scenarios where it can get stuck stopped in the middle, too. For example, there might be several cars in front of you, all heading towards the same stop-sign. When the lead car stops for the stop sign, and then everyone else behind comes to a chain-reaction stop, FSD often ends up stopped still in the middle. Now you're stopped in the middle, can't move forward (car in front of you), and an oncoming car that wasn't present before can now suddenly appear.

When you consider all the possibilities that happen in traffic, it would be better to default to hugging your own side of the road, and then only move into the center when it's clear that both (a) there's no oncoming traffic close enough + (b) there is definitely room, no matter what the other cars in both directions may do in the future, to get back over to the right before having to stop.
What in the actual f*** is this. My car gets over way too late for hazards on unmarked roads, especially oncoming traffic. There was a semi coming towards me today. They had less room on their side (about 1 to 3 feet), I had an entire additional car width to the right of me... and fsd tries to run the semi off the road instead of moving over to the plenty of empty space which exists. It feels very daredevil. Like it never wants to give any obstacle or car on unmarked roads more than a few inches of room.

My biggest issue is with the wheel jiggle. Any yoke brothers on 11.4.7.2 that can chime in? On the yoke specifically, it's bad. So, before, I could just rest a hand on the yoke and it would be find. Micro jiggle on ocassion to make sure it was still torqued but otherwise fine. Now it microjiggles near constantly and wants you to firmly hold the yoke. The problem here is that it's so firm that if you aren't mimicking the yoke truns with fsd beta, it yells at you. But if you hold it firm enough to not be yelled at then you may accidently disengage fsd.

But the scariest ssue is that it'll ocassinaly turn with such force that it literally rips the yoke from my hands! This has never happened to me before 11.4.7 2 and it's very scary.

Over all this is like .5 steps forward and 3 steps back. Driving monitoring is uncomfortable on a yoked tesla, it is putting me in dangerous situations, its lane choices are still bad, unmarked roads are awful, but, hey, it does some turns really well now under ideal situations. That's something... right?

So I've been waiting rather impatiently for the left scroll wheel actions in the latest update, then my car tonight tells me the 12V battery is low and should be replaced. Mobile service is scheduled for next Wed but the kicker is the notification in the app said any software updates to the car will not happen until the 12v battery is replaced. I may very well be the last person to get 11.4.7.2. Maybe by then, there will be a 11.4.7.2.1.01

.....I may very well be the last person to get 11.4.7.2.....
Nah, Tesla will hold up my update until you get your 12V replaced and then get your update since I'm always last.🤬 So would you PLEASE watch a Youtube video and go buy a battery and replace it yourself today so I can get my update. If you were only on the "correct" coast I would drive there and change it myself I'm so desperate for an update. 🤣

Either literally full stopping mid turn, or trying to run into another car. It's scary. Oh it's also cutting corners now a lot more... even on the interstate.... which makes no sense, it'll now cross the line and hit the grooves on the pavement on ocassion when merging off the interstate.

Now on marked roads (curved and uncurved), it's gotten worse. It used to do these 90+ percent accurate. So accurate I felt safe to take my eyes off the road for a few seconds. Not anymore. I'd say its like 60 to 80 peecent accurate. It'll do crazy things rarely. Phantom braking is back for me, for the first time since v10.

Unmarked roads are a disaster...

What in the actual f*** is this. My car gets over way too late for hazards on unmarked roads, especially oncoming traffic. There was a semi coming towards me today. They had less room on their side (about 1 to 3 feet), I had an entire additional car width to the right of me... and fsd tries to run the semi off the road instead of moving over to the plenty of empty space which exists. It feels very daredevil. Like it never wants to give any obstacle or car on unmarked roads more than a few inches of room.

Quoted for context.

The last paragraph is a huge issue. If you look at 99 (or 100%) of how others drive, you’ll see that oncoming traffic always favors the side side of the lane AWAY from oncoming traffic. This is on wide or narrow roads, marked or unmarked. I can’t believe they haven’t figured this out after all this time? I still have roads that my car almost crosses the double yellow on curves, oncoming traffic or not.

I just disengage now when I see pedestrians or cyclists, because I know FSD will scare the $hit out of them. It’s extremely rude, I’m tired of shaking fists and being yelled at. Not worth it.

They never fixed narrow unmarked roads. My road is a narrow, unmarked road, and my car just slams on the brakes when a car is approaching. It’s done this since 2021 when I got 10.3. It’s funny, because I’ve been navigating this road for like 12 years with no issues until I let software try to drive it.

Quoted for context.

The last paragraph is a huge issue. If you look at 99 (or 100%) of how others drive, you’ll see that oncoming traffic always favors the side side of the lane AWAY from oncoming traffic. This is on wide or narrow roads, marked or unmarked. I can’t believe they haven’t figured this out after all this time? I still have roads that my car almost crosses the double yellow on curves, oncoming traffic or not.

I just disengage now when I see pedestrians or cyclists, because I know FSD will scare the $hit out of them. It’s extremely rude, I’m tired of shaking fists and being yelled at. Not worth it.

They never fixed narrow unmarked roads. My road is a narrow, unmarked road, and my car just slams on the brakes when a car is approaching. It’s done this since 2021 when I got 10.3. It’s funny, because I’ve been navigating this road for like 12 years with no issues until I let software try to drive it.
It’s not just unmarked roads. In Seattle, it slams the brakes/comes to a complete stop even on narrower marked roads. Absolutely unusable.

Dewg does have a good point. Where are the rest of the people who are having bad experiences with the J? There’s no way we’re the only ones. I’m thinking of putting some GoPros in the car and recording more footage of how wild some of this *sugar* is. Especially when the J sends me into the steering yoke with seat belt lock during normal driving situations.
Not all people are social media hounds, so that cuts the population reporting down quite a bit (good, bad and ugly).

I truly believe that 95% of FSDb customers turn it on for ten minutes, become terrified, and then never turn it on again.

There are two people in my office in exactly this scenario. “It’s awful, I turned it off” and then they were done. A coworker yesterday asked us about buying a Tesla and when asked about FSD we all said “no no no.”

or they turn it on and understand the disclaimer that is put forth that it is beta and can do the worst thing at the worst possible time and are ready to intervene if and when necessary......this thread is a bunch of debbie downers and maybe I am too new to the tesla/fsd(b) program but to me I disengage when I know it might do something reallly stupid and re-engage once that area is behind me. I find it very useful and fun actually. I actually look forward to the advancements. Again maybe I am too new to the tesla family but even if I had been in beta or bought the package years ago, I'd be thankful that i got it for a lot less expensive than I got it for (first tesla mylr delivered 6/23 and bought fsd when the price was reduced from 15k to 12k).....certainly don't want to start a war but the whole definition of beta explains it all

or they turn it on and understand the disclaimer that is put forth that it is beta and can do the worst thing at the worst possible time and are ready to intervene if and when necessary......this thread is a bunch of debbie downers and maybe I am too new to the tesla/fsd(b) program but to me I disengage when I know it might do something reallly stupid and re-engage once that area is behind me. I find it very useful and fun actually. I actually look forward to the advancements. Again maybe I am too new to the tesla family but even if I had been in beta or bought the package years ago, I'd be thankful that i got it for a lot less expensive than I got it for (first tesla mylr delivered 6/23 and bought fsd when the price was reduced from 15k to 12k).....certainly don't want to start a war but the whole definition of beta explains it all
For those who didn't receive beta when it 1st released, here is the initial email they sent us. Yes, at the end it says "thank" instead of thanks. Great proofreading!
They stopped sending this email shortly after the early testers started receiving the software.

Hello,
We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.2 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle has automatically opted into VIN associated telemetry sharing with Tesla, including Autopilot usage data, images and/or video. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

• Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
  • Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

• Press the "Video Record" button on the top bar UI to send an Autopilot Snapshot video clip.
    • Clips are automatically sent to the engineering team. You will not be able to view the clip.
  • You can email your feedback to [email protected].
    • In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thank,

The Tesla Team

There are certainly tens of thousands of people just like you. I was one of them when I was let into the beta program two years ago.

Now think about some random person in your office or family who is not tech inclined who bought FSD for the lane changes or to just have a “loaded” car and imagine them engaging FSDb in the middle of a big city for the first time. My aunt would give it about 90 seconds and be done with it.

My (perhaps worthless) guess is that a strong majority fall into that camp and just use the NoA, lane change, summon, and autopilot features and rarely if ever mess with beta.

There are certainly tens of thousands of people just like you. I was one of them when I was let into the beta program two years ago.

Now think about some random person in your office or family who is not tech inclined who bought FSD for the lane changes or to just have a “loaded” car and imagine them engaging FSDb in the middle of a big city for the first time. My aunt would give it about 90 seconds and be done with it.

My (perhaps worthless) guess is that a strong majority fall into that camp and just use the NoA, lane change, summon, and autopilot features and rarely if ever mess with beta.
And I could very well end up just as much upset or annoyed as a lot on here seem to be......as far as the non-tech savvy individuals who would give it 90 seconds and turn it off, I personally think that is a good thing and they shouldn't use it until there is a non beta version. Let them use what they are comfortable with and leave the fsd(b) to the folks who are willing to intervene and re-engage when necessary.

Reactions: BDC62 and STUtoday