Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Ok, hopefully it's good entertainment value even if it's a Dawn Project. There's so much weird FSD driving behavior it's embarrassing and that was one drive.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I had seen this, though I had missed the bottoming out the first time I watched. Probably had the sound off, to make it slightly more bearable.

It's incredible how badly it did with all the parked cars. It's like it had never seen such a thing before. I'm sure end-to-end planning will fix it all.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Thanks. Yeah, I guess I had seen this, though I had missed the bottoming out the first time I watched. Probably had the sound off, to make it slightly more bearable.

It's incredible how badly it did with all the parked cars. It's like it had never seen such a thing before. I'm sure end-to-end planning will fix it all.

Yep, that's all it needs until Elon decides it needs something more and then Omar quickly changes his talking points.

FSD playing chicken with parked cars of differing lengths is so unnatural, so uncomfortable and ridiculously unsafe.

Reactions: jebinc
I encountered a FSD safer than human situation this week. FSD needs to exit the highway, it moved to the right lane about a mile ahead, buffered ramps are common here for both onramp and offramp, there was a car in the front and exiting, so normal intelligent human driver will slow down and follow that car, move to the buffered lane when it is safe to do so (i.e. no other car coming onramp from behind in that lane). FSD decided it is not at the fork to exit yet, keep going then it decided its time to turn, but there is a car coming up onramp in the lane, no problem, just speed up and cut in front of him, makes a quick turn and oh crap, there is a car in front, let's brake, finally made the exit safely, definitely much safer human if driving that way.

Right - but there's a clear difference in the audible signals so it's pretty obvious which mode you're in. Every time I activate FSD I listen for the double tone, check to see that the steering wheel is blue and make sure the car is actually driving itself. I just don't see how it's an issue.
I haven't paid attention to the sound... But the issue usually is FSD not engaging even though we double tap.

But wheel disengagement to tacc is the main issue. We would usually do it in tough turning situations where you don't have time to look at the screen or tap up ..

From a UI perspective it was a terrible design.

BTW, do you pay attention is a rude remark... If we didn't we would not disengage. It's FSD that needs to pay more attention!

I wonder if cars without stalks will get single pull?
Pretty sure the initial software version in the car we got without stalks had the option for single press of right scroll button to activate Autosteer / FSD (Controls > Autopilot Activation > Autosteer Activation). I could see Tesla learning that people like single button press to bring the equivalent to those with stalks.