Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Some undocumented feature found by Green. Speed trap and red-light camera data added to the maps. I suppose FSD Beta will be more likely to brake for yellows and not adjust speed up when it knows there's a camera:

With the latest versions I've found FSD's yellow light behavior to be very appropriate. It will continue on at the current speed if it can't stop without braking unreasonably hard, just like one should do.

Reactions: archae86
Really? FSD would definitely drag my score down - it speeds up, triggering a forward collision warning, then slams on the brake, if I don't disengage FSD or quickly reduce speed limit.

I'm also in California, so I just turn off safety score - too distracting.
I think safety scores are only affected after FSD is disengaged (not red wheel disengagement) (5 seconds? I read somewhere like that.)

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Wife returns from store missing a few items, so I'm dispatched.... took the Plaid with its new v11.8.1 junk - AUTO Wipers on. Trip was "all city" driving; 8 miles route trip. FSDj set on "Average". Observations:

1. Less spastic wheel/yoke (the only good)
2. It's cloudy with light drizzle here in Seattle. As soon as I left my garage (and for the entire route), my Flagship "in city" L1.5+ driving aid warned me (see attached) of possible degraded performance (never had that with my poor-boy Subaru Eyesight L2 features that worked in city (e.g., TACC functions, Rear cross traffic alerting, etc.). Degraded due to "Poor weather" - now defined as when cloudy with light drizzle. Reliable/predictable L2+ my @$$....
3. As you may recall from prior reviews, we have a gate. In the past, the junk would stop and show the red hands of death. Now, it continues to steam toward the gate as if it were not there, while showing the red hands of death... I had to stand on the brake pedal at 10' from the gate.
4. Constantly had to give it pedal and intersections, ramps, etc. In name cases (sh)it just wanted to "idle" through the intersection (after stopping).
5. Wipers, spazzed out more than prior "downgrade".

Summary - See attached photo. I will not be driving this version again. Done until v12j^2

YMMV.

View attachment 996020View attachment 996021
This is completely surprising! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂😂

• Funny
I haven't paid attention to the sound... But the issue usually is FSD not engaging even though we double tap.

But wheel disengagement to tacc is the main issue. We would usually do it in tough turning situations where you don't have time to look at the screen or tap up ..

From a UI perspective it was a terrible design.
Take a listen next time - there's a distinct difference between them (at least on my MY). TACC activation is a single 'bing' while FSD is a double 'bing bing' with the second tone being higher (actually the reverse of the double tone you get when deactivating FSD.)

I find it very intuitive - FSD is a 'notch up' from TACC in terms of automation so if you want the first level (TACC) you tug the stalk once, if you want the second level (FSD) you tug twice. @Yelobird clarified that some cars (the cars with yokes and no stalks?) you have to double press a button rather than using a stalk. I can see that being more difficult but as someone who still makes regular use of TACC, removing it from the system completely is a bad idea. I think removing the stalks is the actual terrible design.
BTW, do you pay attention is a rude remark... If we didn't we would not disengage. It's FSD that needs to pay more attention!
Didn't intend to be rude but it struck me as odd - anyone who uses FSD should know that you need to pay attention because, despite the improvements over the last couple of years, it still does unexpected, boneheaded things. Like I said, it's clear (at least to me) when I engage TACC vs FSD and I always make sure FSD is behaving as expected after I engage it.

un·bi·ased
<adjective>
showing no prejudice for or against something; impartial.

I could try to spin your comment and say you used the word unbiased loosely, but damn Jeb - that was quite the opposite of unbiased.
It was factual in my Model S. Maybe a model 3 or Y would perform better.

Edit: And where are all of the other reports? Good, bad and ugly….

Last edited:
It was factual in my Model S. Maybe a model 3 or Y would perform better.

Edit: And where all all of the other reports? Good, bad and ugly….
I don't have it yet, so it may be some time before the fleet is fully upgraded. I'll report my test drive when it's out.

And there is a big difference between your experience and opinions about that experience, and an unbiased report. I have no doubt that was a factual experience and your opinion of it. It's just incorrect to call it an unbiased report.

I don't have it yet, so it may be some time before the fleet is fully upgraded. I'll report my test drive when it's out.

And there is a big difference between your experience and opinions about that experience, and an unbiased report. I have no doubt that was a factual experience and your opinion of it. It's just incorrect to call it an unbiased report.
The actual driving report was unbiased. My view of FSDj is beyond biased, I agree - but I didn’t let that bias my one drive report! 😆

The actual driving report was unbiased. My view of FSDj is beyond biased, I agree - but I didn’t let that bias my one drive report! 😆
Unbiased means you report the facts, and let the reader come to their own conclusions. The moment you put in language that conveys an opinion, or attempts to sway the viewpoint of the reader, it's no longer unbiased.

I'll give you two examples:

A 5 year-old boy died when he was struck by a Tesla on the corner of 5th and Elm. Police are investigating the scene and we'll bring you more details when they become available.

A child was tragically struck and killed by a Tesla, possibly using Tesla's Autopilot, on the corner of 5th and Elm. Police are investigating the accident, and we'll bring you more details as they become available.

Notice the 2nd paragraph invokes emotional responses by using child, tragic, and possibly. I'm attempting to lean the reader towards anger, and prejudge the driver and/or Tesla without the facts.

Wife returns from store missing a few items, so I'm dispatched.... took the Plaid with its new v11.8.1 junk - AUTO Wipers on. Trip was "all city" driving; 8 miles route trip. FSDj set on "Average". Observations:

1. Less spastic wheel/yoke (the only good)
2. It's cloudy with light drizzle here in Seattle. As soon as I left my garage (and for the entire route), my Flagship "in city" L1.5+ driving aid warned me (see attached) of possible degraded performance (never had that with my poor-boy Subaru Eyesight L2 features that worked in city (e.g., TACC functions, Rear cross traffic alerting, etc.). Degraded due to "Poor weather" - now defined as when cloudy with light drizzle. Reliable/predictable L2+ my @$$....
3. As you may recall from prior reviews, we have a gate. In the past, the junk would stop and show the red hands of death. Now, it continues to steam toward the gate as if it were not there, while showing the red hands of death... I had to stand on the brake pedal at 10' from the gate.
4. Constantly had to give it pedal and intersections, ramps, etc. In name cases (sh)it just wanted to "idle" through the intersection (after stopping).
5. Wipers, spazzed out more than prior "downgrade".

Summary - See attached photo. I will not be driving this version again. Done until v12j^2

YMMV.

View attachment 996020View attachment 996021
See, that’s weird about the gate. I’ve had good luck with gates in past releases. I couldn’t tell you which one, but I have it stop for gates, wait for them to fully open then tap the accelerator to proceed.

Unbiased means you report the facts, and let the reader come to their own conclusions. The moment you put in language that conveys an opinion, or attempts to sway the viewpoint of the reader, it's no longer unbiased.

I'll give you two examples:

A 5 year-old boy died when he was struck by a Tesla on the corner of 5th and Elm. Police are investigating the scene and we'll bring you more details when they become available.

A child was tragically struck and killed by a Tesla, possibly using Tesla's Autopilot, on the corner of 5th and Elm. Police are investigating the accident, and we'll bring you more details as they become available.

Notice the 2nd paragraph invokes emotional responses by using child, tragic, and possibly. I'm attempting to lean the reader towards anger, and prejudge the driver and/or Tesla without the facts.
The “unbiased” OP was a joke to @WilliamG, but I kept it going after you replied to it! 🤣 Clearly, as everyone here knows, I have a strong negative bias towards FSD beta (aka “junk”)! 😅

The “unbiased” OP was a joke to @WilliamG, but I kept it going after you replied to it! 🤣 Clearly, as everyone here knows, I have a strong negative bias towards FSD beta (aka “junk”)! 😅
Technically you have strong negative bias on most Anything Tesla related. Luckily as you only provide negative to every case it’s easy for most to see little value in your input.

Technically you have strong negative bias on most Anything Tesla related. Luckily as you only provide negative to every case it’s easy for most to see little value in your input.
“Technically,” 🤣 a negative bias on FSDj, the bait and switch on the Cybertruck (starting with last Thursday’s “Spectacle”), and of course my “within spec” normal vibration that most Plaids have - unaddressed for over 2.5 years.
Negative bias firmly rooted in a fact-base. I know, I know, I should never let the facts ruin a good story…. ✅