Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
At this point I regret even sharing my experience due to the wrath of the fanboys.

Tesla deployed a new feature. I stupidly tried to use their new feature despite six years of experience with their dodgy software and I damaged my car. That’s my story, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Thank you for the warning. Most of us are lucky not to have "updated" yet, so you did us favor.

Something about the body shape and windows on the Model Y at least, makes it very hard to judge distance from curbs, both for front and rear wheels. Curved curbs make it worse still. In the front, the way the body curves down out of sight, the edge of the car is hidden from view.

I'm just glad the metal wheel extends out beyond the plastic, or else I'd have had to buy a few replacement plastic wheel covers already. Instead I have dings on a couple of wheels which I try not to notice...

You will get V12 on the 12th update.
Fat chance on V12 any time soon, I think. The software elves have been way too busy with mandatory holiday gadgets and dancing with the feds.

Our friends got their new S delivered today, w/ 2023.44.30.?. A few days ago they confirmed it was ready and drove an hour to pick it up, only to be told oops, you can't have it. Now we understand is was pass interference by the NHTSA, but our friends were p.o.'ed.

I am surprised that Tesla managed to get it done, along with the update rolling out to us too, all only 7 days since the recall. Some long days down in the code mines, me thinks.

This holiday update is a wacky implementation. In the past the update was always xx.44.25.x and only contained the "goodies" and "presents" and no driving/safety changes. This way the update was sent to all about the same time. Now we have a xx.44.30.x "Frankenstein" Holiday Update + NHTSA safety recall + some FSD Beta changes = SLOW rollout with multiple starts/stops/version updates.

So this year it looks like instead of all getting about the same time right before X-Mass it is spread out and if the normal SLOOOOOOOW rollout happens it could be in Jan before most of us get it.

What a weird Holiday update.

They probably didn't know what NHTSA was going to require to be changed in the recall until early December.
Thanks for the details.

We don't know the extent of what the software changes do AFAIK. I only recall them making the reminder messages more prominent (move to top of screen vs bottom?). They have code that monitors the tension on the steering wheel for years now (with occasion revisions and then rerevisions - ie. detect weights ... scale back the sensitivity of it).

Tesla didn't have an internal camera for years. (ala not in my '17 TMX but in my kids '18 TM3 ) They later added infrared to them, IIRC.

I'm currently on 2023.27.7 / 11.4.7.3 with updates set to "Advanced." As of this moment, nothing yet, not even a whiff. OTOH, maybe waiting a little while to see what ugliness pops up with this "Frankenstein" update is an OK thing. Honestly, all I really care about right now is fix the stupid auto wipers and improve sensing of how close things are to the car as I park. I don't need new "entertainment" apps, don't want Santa Baby on my touch screen, don't want a new light show, and don't want improved car farts or belches. For once, Tesla, please stop listening to your Chief Screw-up Officer and fix what matters. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I do appreciate you sharing the images as we wait but do question why the first test you would do is on a circular curb that most would have trouble with in most cases with or without assistance? As a first release a simple parallel park or straight street might of been a less “complicated” test.

Wasn’t a test, I was just parking and this was the last space available. The graphic showed up and I foolishly trusted it.

Thanks for the details.

We don't know the extent of what the software changes do AFAIK. I only recall them making the reminder messages more prominent (move to top of screen vs bottom?). They have code that monitors the tension on the steering wheel for years now (with occasion revisions and then rerevisions - ie. detect weights ... scale back the sensitivity of it).

Tesla didn't have an internal camera for years. (ala not in my '17 TMX but in my kids '18 TM3 ) They later added infrared to them, IIRC.
So far I’ve seen no difference in behavior whatsoever but I’ve never had the car force a disengagement on me and my hands are always on the wheel. I very rarely interact with any devices while driving.

Heh. Been waiting for the update, not yet. But, interestingly:

A little while ago some Business Insider reporter asked for comments about the Evils of Supercharging. So, replied and said, "You're kidding, right?" and got a reply. There was some back-and-forth while I explained to this relatively clueless reporter how Supercharging really worked. The article she claimed she was working on never actually got printed.. my guess is, it wasn't negative or click-baitey enough.

In any case, she emailed me this morning. There's some report that, in the Theater app, the Disney+ (as compared to Netflix, Hulu, and all that) was no longer present in the updated software, and she wanted to verify. I told her, since, I didn't have the update, I couldn't say.

Anybody else notice the lack (of something I very rarely use, anyway?)?

I'm currently on 2023.27.7 / 11.4.7.3 with updates set to "Advanced." As of this moment, nothing yet, not even a whiff. OTOH, maybe waiting a little while to see what ugliness pops up with this "Frankenstein" update is an OK thing. Honestly, all I really care about right now is fix the stupid auto wipers and improve sensing of how close things are to the car as I park. I don't need new "entertainment" apps, don't want Santa Baby on my touch screen, don't want a new light show, and don't want improved car farts or belches. For once, Tesla, please stop listening to your Chief Screw-up Officer and fix what matters. :rolleyes:
You are misguided. Those are the sole reasons I bought 2

Wasn’t a test, I was just parking and this was the last space available. The graphic showed up and I foolishly trusted it.
I probably would have too. Kind of like a waitress giving you a knife to cut your meat with and you use it to cut your meat. It looked like a steak knife but you didn't know it was actually a.....(insert @jebinc s comment here)

Heh. Been waiting for the update, not yet. But, interestingly:

A little while ago some Business Insider reporter asked for comments about the Evils of Supercharging. So, replied and said, "You're kidding, right?" and got a reply. There was some back-and-forth while I explained to this relatively clueless reporter how Supercharging really worked. The article she claimed she was working on never actually got printed.. my guess is, it wasn't negative or click-baitey enough.

In any case, she emailed me this morning. There's some report that, in the Theater app, the Disney+ (as compared to Netflix, Hulu, and all that) was no longer present in the updated software, and she wanted to verify. I told her, since, I didn't have the update, I couldn't say.

Anybody else notice the lack (of something I very rarely use, anyway?)?
Purportedly a “bug.” If you haven’t used it before it disappears. You can use a web browser to get back in and then the icon apparently reappears.