Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the system picks up stop signs that aren’t a factor for the direction of travel? More than once, I’ve had the car lose its mind over a stop it saw….. pointed the other direction. Yet FSD has had 0 issue blowing some that were slightly obscured.
Hasn't happened to me.

My car will attempt to stop for a traffic light that is on a frontage road next to turnpike I use frequently. In a curve, the red light appears briefly directly above my lane (the light is at the end of an overpass) so it hits the brakes. It's been this way all year so I'm used to it. But it's quite consistent.

Has anyone noticed that the system picks up stop signs that aren’t a factor for the direction of travel? More than once, I’ve had the car lose its mind over a stop it saw….. pointed the other direction. Yet FSD has had 0 issue blowing some that were slightly obscured.
yes. otw to my rack n crack, there's a road that comes in at an angle to the main road and the stop sign for it is lined up on that road, but my S dynamites the brakes for it, even though it's a full lane over and at a 45° to the road I'm on. I feel your pain.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
First for me but I got an email from Tesla at 12:57am this morning stating my Tesla was downloading the holiday update and instructs me to "connect to WIFI and tap the yellow download icon on your vehicles touch screen"

I have never received an email about an update AND there is no update to be had...lol

Just thought I'd share this since I have never seen it before

This has been the case for me from very early on. If the stop sign is at an intersecting road that comes from something other than 90 degrees it sees it as on my route and try’s to stop when obviously it shouldn’t.

Reactions: Pdubs
This has been the case for me from very early on. If the stop sign is at an intersecting road that comes from something other than 90 degrees it sees it as on my route and try’s to stop when obviously it shouldn’t.
That's one of downside of vision biased system, human knows their route and also by experience and intuition can exclude lots of unnecessary distraction, in some cases are even confusing to human especially if never been there before. Tesla FSD has to work extra hard to handles levels, angles, surrounding areas etc ... perhaps it need a horse blinders for now 😁

Vital safety feature that I've never noticed on V11 before. Not sure if it's new or just never came up before. When a red light backs up past train tracks, FSD Beta will stop on the far side of the tracks instead of proceeding forward and potentially stopping on top of them:

View attachment 1001703
I have seen this before. It recognized the rail track.

If I have FSD engaged then the option slider shows up but it doesn’t work (selection springs back to auto if you attempt to turn off - manual speed selections are ok).

I was mistaken earlier because I was thinking about auto high beams. Those you can disable.
Not being able to turn off the auto wipers caused me to have to drive for hours without even cruise control on my last road trip. Even turning off FSD and Autosteer in the menu did not help. TACC required the wipers to stay in auto, as you describe, just like FSD.

Someone here did mention that the S/X allow you to turn off the wipers. Not sure if correct or not. Maybe S/X owners can share their experiences.

Getting ready for six solid days of driving over the holidays, and with no relief for the wiper issues, I purchased the S3XY buttons to allow me to force the wipers off with Autopilot (or FSD) engaged.

Yesterday both my 3 and Y received 11.4.9, and I confirmed that I can now turn wipers off with FSD engaged! That is a great move by Tesla, let the driver override the automation when needed should be the design brief. Now I have nearly useless S3XY buttons, but I am happy. 😀

GSP

Reactions: Pdubs
I have always been able to disable auto wipers on every version of beta. Might be a model specific thing. My auto wipers have been turned off for 6 months, until my most recent update, in which they are working again. To be clear, they were always off. Not start beta, then turning them off.
Also, auto brights, I always keep them off. I have heard others complain about them.
Do you have an S or X? I think it might be model specific.

My 3 and Y just bounce back to “auto” instantly after turning the wipers off with FSD, AP, or TACC engaged.

GSP

First for me but I got an email from Tesla at 12:57am this morning stating my Tesla was downloading the holiday update and instructs me to "connect to WIFI and tap the yellow download icon on your vehicles touch screen"

I have never received an email about an update AND there is no update to be had...lol

Got the same email. No update. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Same here:
1703166492895.png