Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
How does someone come out and say the wipers got a major update thanks to AI? Who says? Elon just agreed but where's the source on that?

The logic is... illogical.

The wipers were, say, out of 10, - a 5 originally.

Over time, the wipers became, say, - a 7.

Then, back when 11.4.7 released they became a 0.

What are they now? 5? 6? 7? I meant, they couldn't have gotten worse (one would hope).
A shill and a Charlatan, say things like that.

Some more observations:

1) I put the wipers in intermittent mode all the time, now whenever I am in Park then it starts wiping (won't stop), if I shift into drive then it stops.
2) At a stop sign, once it starts moving, it suddenly swerves to the right lane, disengaged because of steering torque, re-engage then it starts moving at ... 20-15-5 mph, another stop signs is around 100-200 ft away, then it speeds up again and stopped at the stop sign.
3) Just moment ago, traveling east bound and about to turn left into my neighborhood, there is a median and a turn lane (unprotected), cars are coming from other direction, it slows down but no sign of stopping, I stopped it, ended up half way on the left most lane on the west bound lane. I always have problem in this junction, so not really new problem.

The interesting update I've seen in recent builds is left turns into the #2 or #3 lane. It used to turn left into the far left lane (#1), then would start changing lanes to the right for an upcoming right turn. Now my car will make the left turn and turn into the #3 lane, so there is no need to change lanes. Enjoying that feature.
Until they’re forced to disable it. :/

So, did a bunch of driving around with 2023.44.30.2 today. Note: The car is a 2023 M3 LR AWD, HW4. So, those stating that M3's with HW4 aren't getting the 0.2 update.. well, appears that I'm an exception, for whatever reason.

Had a number of things happen that were, "different" than 2023.44.1:
  • The car moves with more confidence on turns. The lone exit out of my small development usually has the car moving up to the cross street, pausing for a while, creeping up for a while and, with the car half-way through, then sssllloowwwllly pulling through, then accelerating. With 11.4.9 it went up to the cross-street, took a solid look (on two separate occasions) then, on one, waited for a car to pass by, then took the turn fairly quickly; on the other, with no on-coming car, did come to a halt, but then pulled forward and accelerated immediately. This isn't just at that intersection - it's moving with more, what, confidence in general.
  • On local roads, when the cars in front of one accelerate, previous versions of FSD tended to lag, unless they were first in line, in which case there was a fairly snappy acceleration. That acceleration is now present when one is not first in line.
  • Near my place, there's a couple of on-ramps to another, major road. That's not a biggie. What is interesting is that on that on-ramp, two separate on-ramps come together with a Yield sign on the right-hand road. As it happens, from the direction I come from, I get that yield sign. For the Binking First Time FSD 11.4.9 is respecting the Yield. There was a car about a length behind mine on the left on the other road that the Tesla should have yielded to; and it slowed, let the car pass in front, then pulled in behind. (There was another car behind the first one.. and maybe the Tesla should have waited for that one as well, but it did slip in.) There's another yield at another on-ramp that FSD hasn't been respecting well; I'll try that over the next couple of days and see if it's doing a better job.
  • Along with the faster acceleration, the car's steering is somewhat more jerky when coming through a turn. I mean: With the previous versions, it was going slower, so a little twitch or two didn't affect the people in the car. It's doing the same twitches, but faster, so it's a bit jerkier. But not terribly so.
  • Definitely handling stop signs better and going through the intersections faster. Still needs a bit of work, but it's not bad.
  • It's a HW4 car without USS, so I got to try out the Parking Assist. Works as advertised, almost.
    • There's this one spot I parked in that has a light pole planted in a whitish, concrete 2' diameter cylinder at the left corner of the parking spot. The Parking Assist did show all the other cars, but actually missed and didn't paint that cylinder!
    • Parallel parking in the 15-minute zone in front of the post office went OK, in that I could see curbs and the cars in front and behind me, complete with orange shading. However, when backing up, the rear camera clearly showed that the car was clear of the curbs; but the parking assist view seemed to show that the car was merged with the curb.
    • Finally, when parking in the garage: Before, the view on the screen showed various box trucks and such completely overlaying the car, making that view useless, although it did give distance (that was inaccurate). This time, with Parking Assist, it correctly painted the garage, showed the SO's car on the right, a wall on the left, and miscellany in front, with roughly the correct amount of "orange" when I was getting close. Not bad.
Haven't had a chance to put it on an interstate yet. Will be interesting to see how much different it might be.

Couple of interventions here and there; nothing really dramatic, but this isn't robo-taxi yet. Improved: Yes. Perfect? No. Miles between interventions: Went six miles on heavy Xmas/rush hour traffic, turns, light, and all, sans interventions. Not bad.

This is incorrect.
I have always been able to disable auto wipers on every version of beta. Might be a model specific thing. My auto wipers have been turned off for 6 months, until my most recent update, in which they are working again. To be clear, they were always off. Not start beta, then turning them off.
Also, auto brights, I always keep them off. I have heard others complain about them.

I have always been able to disable auto wipers on every version of beta. Might be a model specific thing. My auto wipers have been turned off for 6 months, until my most recent update, in which they are working again. To be clear, they were always off. Not start beta, then turning them off.
Also, auto brights, I always keep them off. I have heard others complain about them.
If I have FSD engaged then the option slider shows up but it doesn’t work (selection springs back to auto if you attempt to turn off - manual speed selections are ok).

I was mistaken earlier because I was thinking about auto high beams. Those you can disable.

M3's with HW4 aren't getting the 0.2 update.. well, appears that I'm an exception, for whatever reason
Thanks for the data point. Perhaps TeslaFi and Teslascope are both incorrectly reading out the hardware version and there's actually more HW4 vehicles getting 11.4.9 as otherwise you're indeed quite the exceptional one with HW4 in US out of nearly 10,000 vehicles on either service getting 2023.44.30.2. Curious, how do you know you have HW4 as I thought Model 3 only got it with Highland, which I don't think is available in the US yet?

2023.44.30.4 seems to have gotten a decent sized rollout to Model Y HW4, so there is progress in general in getting the holiday update to more vehicles.

Looks like I made the right call on giving this one some bake time. The software update has disappeared. Maybe it was the Grinch.
Had the same thing happen to me. Went out to my car to go to work and had a message that there was an update available (2023.44.30.2) when I came out from work to go home it had disappeared. 🤷‍♂️

after reading everything in here, I bit the bullet and let the car update over lunch from 11.4.8.1 to 11.4.9
For those who haven't sat through an update, you need to do it at least once !!
The drive home was interesting.
Much more forceful than 11.4.8.1, zero dry wipes, so that hasn't changed.
For the first time in many versions, this took the very complex intersection on my way home without issue. Previously 11.4.8.1 would freak out in a sea of manic lane changes and spinning steering wheel, this time on 11.4.9 it was actually quite competent and most refreshing.
I'l be trying my various torture test routes over the next few weeks to see how it does.
Its very interesting being on a new build, not used to it.

Mixed bad with 11.4.9 (2023.44.30.4)

Just 1 drive but a few initial impressions. Too soon to fully judge.
  • Creep- Stop sign creeping seemed to be improved. At least FSD didn't launch without looking.
  • No painted center line- Still awful. Drives in the middle of the road and annoys oncoming cars who obviously want to know what the heck I'm doing.
  • On the same road minor phantom braking of 2-3 mph. 1/3 mile long road and slows down several times so super annoying. Same behavior as every FSD release I've ever had on this road. Going back over 2 years.
  • Highway exit- Navigation shows me the correct exit and the display looks perfect except FSD tried to take the wrong exit. Same as 11.4.4 where sometimes it takes the right exit and sometimes it takes the wrong exit. Major clover leaf.
  • Large roundabout. Came to a full stop just like 11.4.4. Normal behavior is to enter at 20mph with no cars coming. 5% of the time FSD only slows down to 2mph. If someone is behind me I always accelerate thru to avoid getting honked at.
Tomorrow I have a 175 mile drive so will be interested to see how that goes.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Ok this is really weird. I had the update pushed to my car. I wasn’t on WiFi so it wasn’t downloading. I moved the car closer to the router and it started downloading. I then left town for the day and came back to no sign of the update whatsoever. “Your car software is up to date as of xxx. 2023.27.7” Has this ever happened before! What happened! Really frustrating.

Thanks for the data point. Perhaps TeslaFi and Teslascope are both incorrectly reading out the hardware version and there's actually more HW4 vehicles getting 11.4.9 as otherwise you're indeed quite the exceptional one with HW4 in US out of nearly 10,000 vehicles on either service getting 2023.44.30.2. Curious, how do you know you have HW4 as I thought Model 3 only got it with Highland, which I don't think is available in the US yet?

2023.44.30.4 seems to have gotten a decent sized rollout to Model Y HW4, so there is progress in general in getting the holiday update to more vehicles.
I could be very wrong on this.. but don't think so.

The only information I could find about what HW version one had was whether the side view cameras had a red dot on them or not.

The SO has a 2021 MY. Looking at the camera on the front fender, the lens looks black.

The 2023, September build M3's camera looks a bit different in outside shape. structure. When one looks at the lens, it definitely has a red dot shining in the center. So.. that's supposed to be the visible difference? I've looked in the Software Additional Information, which says Full Self Driving Computer; there's nothing obvious in the Service Menu, either.

11.4.9: One erroneous attempt to enter a short left turn lane this evening, but the car quickly corrected itself before I intervened. Tomorrow, I'll take it down a street known to have many left turn lane failures and see if there's any improvement.

No wiper issues with either of my Teslas with this version. Rain coming for the next few days, so should have some opportunity to try them out.

Has this ever happened before! What happened! Really frustrating.
Yes. Sometimes Tesla pulls updates because of problems, other times they pull invites once they get enough installs in a particular wave. (Say they invite 2000 cars and pull the invite after the first 1000 download/install it.)

You will likely get another invite in the next wave.

I could be very wrong on this.. but don't think so.

The only information I could find about what HW version one had was whether the side view cameras had a red dot on them or not.

The SO has a 2021 MY. Looking at the camera on the front fender, the lens looks black.

The 2023, September build M3's camera looks a bit different in outside shape. structure. When one looks at the lens, it definitely has a red dot shining in the center. So.. that's supposed to be the visible difference? I've looked in the Software Additional Information, which says Full Self Driving Computer; there's nothing obvious in the Service Menu, either.
The easiest way to tell is the front camera housing. The cameras are much larger and look like they have shutters. My understanding is that all model 3s with the exception of highland are hw3. IMG_2247.jpeg

Has anyone noticed that the system picks up stop signs that aren’t a factor for the direction of travel? More than once, I’ve had the car lose its mind over a stop it saw….. pointed the other direction. Yet FSD has had 0 issue blowing some that were slightly obscured.

Reactions: Pdubs