Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can select ‘minimal lane changes’ from the autopilot menu.
You can select this but I don't think FSD really cars as my car will continue making unnecessary and bad lane change, especially on the freeway where it always tries to get in the carpool lane when I don't want to be in the carpool lane. The only way to truly limit lane changes is to turn off the navigation all together.

Reactions: riles246
2018 M3 with EAP/FSD. With passengers or pets I never use FSD, and rarely use TACC due to phantom braking annoyances. While alone, I’ll engage FSD every so often to confirm how bad it is after whatever was the last software update. It doesn’t disappoint: still bad in that, for me, having to be extraordinarily alert every second just expecting/waiting for the car to do something stupid/dangerous is far more stressful than not using it. Worst $3000 I ever spent, and I constantly regret it.

We only enabled AP on our 2021 Model 3, though with our new 2023 Model Y we purchased EAP for what we hope will be safer lane changes on the freeways (e.g. we hope the car will see someone over our left / right shoulder and nix the lane change until it's safe to move). When I enable Navigate On Autopilot, the car sometimes switches lanes for cones - it really hates driving alongside cones - though rarely for speed, and we can of course induce a lane change via turn signals. Overall, not too bad.

However, there's a toll road exit near us that scares the holy hell out of it. The car's fine approaching the exit, all is smooth, it moves into the exit lane, and then instead of turning off Navigate so I can take over, it completely freaks out. Warnings pop, and the steering wheel starts to turn left / right in a rapid and very unnerving manner. If I tap the brake or flip the right stalk to disable EAP, things settle down again, but this is a repeatable offense.

In another location, one toll road merges with another, and with traffic it can get a bit dicey. (Drivers here can be pretty aggressive.) So, when we're using Navigate On Autopilot via EAP, sometimes it doesn't merge properly, either staying far too long in the right lane which will soon disappear, or not anticipating or properly reacting to that car rushing up on our right in hopes of cutting us off and jumping ahead.

Unfortunately, for now those behaviors have put my spouse entirely off using EAP or even just basic AP speed control. She doesn't feel it can be trusted in the least and is kinda mad that we paid for it. She still holds out hope that it'll get better, like thousands of other Tesla owners, but right now for these features, she's far from being a satisfied customer. Me, I keep trying it out after each update to see whether it's getting better at the things it stinks at right now, including automatic wipers. These days, we've learned, Tesla can't even do that right, messing up a feature that's worked pretty much flawlessly for decades across many different car brands.

and then instead of turning off Navigate so I can take over, it completely freaks out. Warnings pop, and the steering wheel starts to turn left / right in a rapid and very unnerving manner. I
Might have heard once Elon hates road tolls. Maybe this is his response for social media purposes?

Nah, a toll booth too far perhaps. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind seeing that clip if you have a passenger who can record.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Just got 2023.27.7 so I tried it out for a drive again. Nope. Still accelerates and decelerates way too abruptly. Makes turns too fast and accelerates too fast for something not in my control. Not an enjoyable experience. Turned it off again.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Might have heard once Elon hates road tolls. Maybe this is his response for social media purposes?

Nah, a toll booth too far perhaps. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind seeing that clip if you have a passenger who can record.
Good suggestion. Since behavior at that exit has so far been 100% repeatable, I'll snag a clip next time it happens. Ironically, there's no toll booth at that exit - they toll on the main road shortly beforehand!

Not surprising that he hates toll roads. He also hates taxes. See, rich guys never want to pay for using the commons they depend on. :p

I own FSD. My opinion is FSD drives like an erratic teenager first time driver. Sometimes it's so slow it annoys you. Other times it leaves so little distance it scares you. It's jerky and not smooth. It automatically does lane changes on its own which I'd rather leave off and initiate myself; but there is no setting for that. The FSD minimize lane changes toggle setting resets every drive.

Also the attention reminders are much more intrusive with FSD, not sure if me being tall or sometimes wearing glasses impacts that as I believe FSD uses more interior camera. My favorite part of FSD was summons and that doesn't work any more with our non USS cars. Yes each that was actually an enhanced autopilot feature and not FSD.

I usually keep FSD off and prefer enhanced autopilot.

If you own FSD do you ever prefer leaving it off?
When I picked up our Model Y 20 Jan 2023 in Nashville I was told to wait a month to enable FSD so I added on 24 Feb 2023 for my 72th birthday. I live near Murray KY where Teslas are not common. I have used it everyday since and it is improving or its getting me better trained.

Just made a fast 1600 mile round trip to Austin Texas. Going out it made me an FSD believer. On the return trip I got into the car and said Navigate to Home. It found it's way to I-35 drove me home. It planned all of the chargers and drove safely. I did take over on some road construction detours with squirrelly markings.

That was my first solo cross country road trip in 15 years and I am really to go again. I didn't realize FSD is about ready for prime time.

I didn't realize FSD is about ready for prime time.
It's a good driver assist on highways for sure. I did a 4400 mile trip on Navigate on Autopilot, the predecessor of FSD for highway driving. But, as folks have been pointing out all over the forums, there are still lots of scenarios (some of which are fairly common) where the car does undesirable, inconsiderate, or even downright dangerous things. That's why Tesla is completely replacing the decision-making software; they don't see it ever being ready for prime time. Another company just posted a video of a car navigating London streets using the same technique that Tesla is moving to, and it was a pretty impressive drive. Let's hope that it's representative of all drives and that it wasn't cherry-picked for the video.

• Informative
That's why Tesla is completely replacing the decision-making software; they don't see it ever being ready for prime time.
Maybe this will help. Maybe it'll learn the better driving style. My main complaint is that NO ONE WANTS SOMETHING THAT IS NOT UNDER THEIR CONTROL TO ACCELERATE OR DECELERATE FAST.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk lol

I leave FSD off almost all the time. I use Autopilot more as it is OK on the highway most of the time. I try FSD when a new update comes out and always have to do one or two interventions in my neighborhood in less than a mile. I have given up on version 11 as I feel like it will never come close to driving as well as I want it too. It is very very very far off. Hoping that the new approach with version 12 will be better but I have no solid basis for that hope. In hindsight I would not have bought FSD but I don't dwell on it too much. I bought it knowing it was beta and had problems. I can see a class action lawsuit happening if it never ends up working. When you buy something that is beta there is an understanding that eventually it will not be beta anymore. I guess the key is the timeline to get out of beta and whether the company ever thought the product had a chance to get out of beta. FSD aside, I love my Model Y Performance.

I use it almost all the time, with a few exceptions. I'm on 11.4.4.

One is heavy traffic. Despite 'Chill' setting, FSD always tries to change lanes to end up in the leftmost lane, which is suboptimal.
Second is road work. FSD unsurprisingly ignores the red signs and tries to use blocked lane.

Third is 1 particular intersection that makes it go crazy if driving above 25mph (legal speed limit is 35).

FSD at Intersection.png

Other times it's fine. Raises my adrenaline, which is good for morning commute and afternoon glucose crash :)

• Funny
I leave FSD off almost all the time. I use Autopilot more as it is OK on the highway most of the time. I try FSD when a new update comes out and always have to do one or two interventions in my neighborhood in less than a mile. I have given up on version 11 as I feel like it will never come close to driving as well as I want it too. It is very very very far off. Hoping that the new approach with version 12 will be better but I have no solid basis for that hope. In hindsight I would not have bought FSD but I don't dwell on it too much. I bought it knowing it was beta and had problems. I can see a class action lawsuit happening if it never ends up working. When you buy something that is beta there is an understanding that eventually it will not be beta anymore. I guess the key is the timeline to get out of beta and whether the company ever thought the product had a chance to get out of beta. FSD aside, I love my Model Y Performance.
The government needs to step in either through court action or regulatory rulings. Everyone who bought FSD and wants a refund should get one. At this point, that’s all I want from Tesla now, … a refund.

Reactions: cdub
Mine is on probably 95% now. My wife's acceptance rate is high as well. This is much higher level of acceptance compare to when I first received the FSD about 15 months ago. It was a joke back then.

The only times when I don't use it is when I know FSD will fail - usually within big cities with complex traffic turns. (Although recent builds that does crazy unexpected lane changes is driving me nuts!)

I always used "Minimize Lane Changes", but recently I started to experiment by using just Chill by itself. This mode seems to also keep the car within the current lane with no self triggered overtaking moves. So now, I flip back and forth between "Chill", "Average", and "Minimize + Assertive" depending on where and how much traffic is around me.

Oh yes, when "Minimize + Assertive" is used, I often add manual acceleration, as the distance to the car in front is still too far. But I prefer this over doing everything manually.

It's great for road trips and visiting small towns far away from my city!

The government needs to step in either through court action or regulatory rulings. Everyone who bought FSD and wants a refund should get one. At this point, that’s all I want from Tesla now, … a refund.
I don’t disagree but it’s doubtful it will happen. First, Tesla was careful in the wording saying something to the effect of ‘when available.’ I hold the position that that selling a feature to be added after purchase implicitly requires that the feature be available during the life of the car. Since many of these cars are approaching the end of their expected lifespan one could make an argument for implicit fraud. That’s a much tougher argument to make, though.

The more critical point is that there was a ruling recently stating that complaints regarding FSD need to be handled via arbitration and can’t be certified as class action suits. That virtually guarantees no law firm will take them on.

Hmmm .... just file in small claims court (like others have tried). I'm sure there are more important things the government should be doing.

Reactions: henderrj
I use it almost all the time, with a few exceptions. I'm on 11.4.4.

One is heavy traffic. Despite 'Chill' setting, FSD always tries to change lanes to end up in the leftmost lane, which is suboptimal.
Second is road work. FSD unsurprisingly ignores the red signs and tries to use blocked lane.

Third is 1 particular intersection that makes it go crazy if driving above 25mph (legal speed limit is 35).

Other times it's fine. Raises my adrenaline, which is good for morning commute and afternoon glucose crash :)
In heavy traffic, usually highway you can enable the minimal lane setting from the right scroll wheel which limits lane changes.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I own FSD. My opinion is FSD drives like an erratic teenager first time driver. Sometimes it's so slow it annoys you. Other times it leaves so little distance it scares you. It's jerky and not smooth. It automatically does lane changes on its own which I'd rather leave off and initiate myself; but there is no setting for that. The FSD minimize lane changes toggle setting resets every drive.

Also the attention reminders are much more intrusive with FSD, not sure if me being tall or sometimes wearing glasses impacts that as I believe FSD uses more interior camera. My favorite part of FSD was summons and that doesn't work any more with our non USS cars. Yes each that was actually an enhanced autopilot feature and not FSD.

I usually keep FSD off and prefer enhanced autopilot.

If you own FSD do you ever prefer leaving it off?
Yes

Reactions: beachmiles
In heavy traffic, usually highway you can enable the minimal lane setting from the right scroll wheel which limits lane changes.
I don't use this setting, because from product perspective this is just a knob. Either positions would be considered 'normal'.
Would Tesla engineers track how many people use it and when? Unlikely.

On the other hand, disengagement count is not 'normal' (at least that's the way I feel).
I would think this is one metric that matters. So I use it actively instead.