Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is totally awesome. Tesla has feature complete FSD. Our cars can drive themselves, make turns at intersections, follow routes, make lane changes on city streets, avoid obstacles. It is amazing! But I do think what I wrote is an accurate description of what Tesla has released so far. It is generalized FSD. But it is beta and requires driver supervision. I don't think that is in dispute.
Folks, I gotta warn you, all the "skeptics" will be moving the goal posts at an alarming rate over the next few days|weeks|months.

Brace thyself!

@Knightshade @daniel -- bet you guys glad you chickened out of the bets.
I really wish someone would have taken at least one of the bets.

If you read his post it was wide but he took over more because of a jumpy passenger. But yes, this system will NOT be as reliable as a waymo right now, I’m expecting some videos where it messes up. But it’s also not geofenced. Keep that in mind.

Doesn’t seem as groundbreaking as what Waymo but it’s because they aren’t depending on HD mapping and LIDAR. It can behave like this anywhere. Give it some time to show what it can do, already a lot of these naysayers who said it was all a hoax should be eating one of there socks right now.

Easy now.... This is still the same vehicle thats constantly been hitting objects in a straight line for over 3 years now. Let's hold off on popping that bottle of champagne after seeing a few Tesla fan boys on the interweb. However I am pretty impressed with what's been released thus far :)

not really. It could be doing the same things just more reliably.

Yes, perception and a highly accurate model of the environment is key. I have no doubt that Mobileye can drive well today with their 12 camera system. It's just not good enough to be significantly safer than a human driver

The key with Tesla is how much this system improves by spring. The driving path stuff is know technology and can be bought by adequately funding the project to hire sufficient development staff. The machine learning that Musk is suggesting will work here is new science and requires a breakthrough. No one can guarantee a breakthrough by simply desiring it and funding a project.

Software is a funny thing, even when its just advanced application programming. A few seniot people make or break complex projects. A great example is how long it took Microsoft to make windows good. Microsoft had almost unlimited funding, a great target in the Mac, yet obviously not the right senior people.

Anyone know why nearly all the released FSD beta videos are either reaction videos (i.e. filming the driver and not the road) or videos from the Tesla dashboard with very little to no road view? Also there is not one video I could find where they just film the car for 10 minutes straight doing its thing, it's all micro-clips pasted after one another.

Not at all saying this is a hoax, but I find it unwatchable. Was hoping maybe someone over here had a link to a good FSD beta review video.

(Is it because the beta users are under NDA perhaps?)

Anyone know why nearly all the released FSD beta videos are either reaction videos (i.e. filming the driver and not the road) or videos from the Tesla dashboard with very little to no road view? Also there is not one video I could find where they just film the car for 10 minutes straight doing its thing, it's all micro-clips pasted after one another.

Not at all saying this is a hoax, but I find it unwatchable. Was hoping maybe someone over here had a link to a good FSD beta review video.

It's probably because it's too new and everyone wants to be the first. Give it a couple of days :)

I bet it is hard to focus when you are trying out something so freaking new and that you've been waiting for since you bought FSD.
Give it a day or two for the ones with access to figure out a better camera setup.

I bet it is hard to focus when you are trying out something so freaking new and that you've been waiting for since you bought FSD.
Give it a day or two for the ones with access to figure out a better camera setup.
I'm not asking for a professional 4K video. All you need is 1 Tesla with FSD beta, 2 adults and 1 smartphone. One person 'drives' (monitors FSD), the other makes a video (in landscape of course).

These guys instead just film themselves and act like Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. The bar for content quality on Youtube is so low.

they are shills. This is mainly a marketing stunt. They are trying to elicit emotion.

The release is real, but it’s a long way off for the average Tesla owner...

Folks, I gotta warn you, all the "skeptics" will be moving the goal posts at an alarming rate over the next few days|weeks|months.

Brace thyself!

@Knightshade @daniel -- bet you guys glad you chickened out of the bets.
I really wish someone would have taken at least one of the bets.

Cue bladerskb saying Mobileye had this in 2017 o_O

Easy now.... This is still the same vehicle thats constantly been hitting objects in a straight line for over 3 years now. Let's hold off on popping that bottle of champagne after seeing a few Tesla fan boys on the interweb. However I am pretty impressed with what's been released thus far :)

I’m actually taking it easy. I’m not celebrating or popping bottles. I tempered my statement with the fact that is worse than Waymo right now and that I expect some mistakes.

My statement was for those that doubted that this even existed (there were a fair number of people who expressed that). I’m all for criticizing things that are issues, but too many were blindly making statements when they had no clue what the future held. The verdict is still out on who ultimately reaches level 5... but for those who doubted and said it was vaporware, eat a sock. When I’m wrong and data is shown to me, I have and will eat my own sock.

• Funny
Reactions: GWord
Waymo was first to FSD. Waymo achieved FSD in 2015. Now, Waymo has driverless FSD.

Tesla has FSD beta.

You are forgetting that Waymo is only driverless in well mapped modern cities like Phoenix. Do they have any others?

Tesla is general purpose and works anywhere. Quite different.

Edit: And Tesla doesn't have $100K of Lidar and other crap on it. Waymo effectively has prototype cars (how many, 4?), while Tesla has production cars (hundreds of thousands). HUGE difference right there.

Last edited:
I find it suspect that the “expert drivers” Elon referee too as being the first to get it are all YouTubers with a lot of subscribers..

I consider myself a pretty good driver. Last week I was with the wife and we were trying to get the USB stick with music to work. I was distracted for just a second, the truck in front of me came to a stop and the car proudly beeped all loud and showed the truck full red in the display. I still had plenty of time to brake myself but quickly thought to myself 'crap!!! there goes my chance' :p

You are forgetting that Waymo is only driverless in well mapped modern cities like Phoenix. Do they have any others?

Tesla is general purpose and works anywhere. Quite different.

That is a false comparison though. Tesla is a beta system that requires constant supervision. Waymo is a L4 system that is fully driverless.

Um, let's just recap for a moment.

Waymo has had Level 4 driveless taxis in operation on public roads, with no safety driver, for about a year now.

Tesla has some Level 2 driver aids in beta, with a safety driver, for a day.

And the Tesla system already nearly rear-ended a parked car.

Waymo only in one well mapped city. Why are people forgetting this? Do they not know?

And when did it nearly rear end the parked car? In the traffic circle? It was going to miss it, the driver did not have to disengage.

That is a false comparison though. Tesla is a beta system that requires constant supervision. Waymo is a L4 system that is fully driverless.

Not really a false comparison since it was brought up. It just shows that each system has its limitations. And I totally agree, right now, Tesla will not be anywhere near the reliability and safety level of a Waymo (in its geofenced area of course).