Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching the latest Rebellionaire video from his road trip and thinking "Thee videos are getting boring." Then V12 aggressively moved through an unprotected left, trusting that the oncoming car was sincere about their turn signal.

At one point in this video, the car enters a school zone with flashing lights. It's hard to make out the speed limit, but Google Maps shows it clearly as 20 mph. The car did not comply with this and Rebellionaire appeared too distracted talking to his rider to notice that he sped through the zone at 30 mph.

Reactions: JB47394 and Dewg
At one point in this video, the car enters a school zone with flashing lights. It's hard to make out the speed limit, but Google Maps shows it clearly as 20 mph. The car did not comply with this and Rebellionaire appeared too distracted talking to his rider to notice that he sped through the zone at 30 mph.
Really pisses me off that the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many with FSD Beta - in other words, a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us who are using the system as intended - paying close attention, reporting disengagements, testing routes, etc. Cabin camera covers, wheel weights, s3xy buttons, but when they get in an accident their statement to the press will be "AP/FSD was in control of the car!!! It's not my fault!!!" - sigh...

12.2.1 trained on too much human behavior or not enough training of stop signs in the middle of the road?

12.2.1 run stop.jpg

Pretty sure 11.x would have correctly stopped, so it'll be trickier to improve end-to-end without disengagements from 11.x or 12.x. Hopefully with wider 12.x rollout, there will be more examples of people taking over to correct the behavior.

Reactions: DanCar and tivoboy

Was he distracted, or is that just the speed he would normally drive through that area?

People obey the speed limits in your area? Almost everyone here goes a minimum of 9 MPH over the speed limit. So yeah, traffic here would only be going 29 MPH through the school zone. (I have to set my offset to 23% to have any chance of FSDb not impeding traffic.)

Reactions: ArchHamster
The reason you won't get it is because Tesla can't cure Stupid. Even if you, personally, are smart.

The first time somebody gets killed because they were running FSD-b 12.x while leaning over into the back seat so they could play patty-cake with their 3-year-old, the media won't blame the idiocy of the driver, no matter what was signed, they'll blame Tesla. Followed by, if the people getting killed are sympathetic enough, regulator dis-approval of all FSD-s from anybody, but particular Tesla, followed by congressional hearings, and so forth and so on.

With the past and current versions of FSD Tesla went out of its way to (a) get responsible drivers running the car around (safety score, anyone); (b) put tools into place to get the most egregious of the non-safe ones off the program (strikes); (c) manipulated the software so that if one was paying attention there'd be time to avoid accidents; and (d) put in driver monitoring to try and catch the outliers.

And you know that there's people who post on these FSD-b threads who put tape over the cabin camera, put weights on the steering wheel, and (see any YouTube/X influencer video) don't bother to keep their hands continuously on the steering wheel. For safety purposes, nudging the steering wheel with one's knees DOESN'T BLAME COUNT.

And, surprise, surprise! You don't think Tesla knows all this about the idiots defeating the driver attention mechanisms? That puts Tesla One Step Away From Disaster given an idiot plaintiff and an overactive, good lawyer in search of a payday for a lifetime.

I think I'll just wait, hopefully, until Tesla shows up with the baked cake on the next FSD-beta point release, emphasis on the Beta.
I understand and agree on all counts but those who have FSDb already can do all these already. V11 vs V12 should not matter other than publicity.

Was he distracted, or is that just the speed he would normally drive through that area?

People obey the speed limits in your area? Almost everyone here goes a minimum of 9 MPH over the speed limit. So yeah, traffic here would only be going 29 MPH through the school zone. (I have to set my offset to 23% to have any chance of FSDb not impeding traffic.)
The point is that FSD 12.2.1 ignored the school zone. I would hope that the intent was not to violate the speed limit by 50%!

BTW, Rebellionaire stated at the beginning of the video that this was the first time he had driven through downtown Dallas.

Those who have FSDb already can do it already. V11 vs V12 should not matter other than publicity.
The main point is bitc$ing here is rhetorical at best. However we KNOW that Tesla ALWAYS limits the number of people who get early releases to test for safety/bugs. In my (worthless) opinion they did "screw up" (and Tesla doesn't care about my opinion either) by releasing to new/random people first but that is now water under...... So there is nothing we can do except wait until Tesla believes v12 is proven safe/bug free enough to release wider. Tesla doesn't give a $hit what I (or you) think they should or could do.

12.2.1 trained on too much human behavior or not enough training of stop signs in the middle of the road?

View attachment 1027153

Pretty sure 11.x would have correctly stopped, so it'll be trickier to improve end-to-end without disengagements from 11.x or 12.x. Hopefully with wider 12.x rollout, there will be more examples of people taking over to correct the behavior.
I'm not convinced that sign was for vehicles. Looked like it was supposed alert pedestrians that the crosswalk was closed and someone moved it.
Especially since that was a T with only a blinking red for the cross road versus the signaled intersection before and after.

Had a quick scan through. Appeared to be zero disengagement, but also a significant amount of time on the highway (which may still be V11, not sure how we'll tell when it transitions to single stack).

Also, not sure if there's anything to be learned from a single drive, but in a large parking lot, V12.3 did choose to stop without attempting to park and a "Autopilot navigation is complete" message. Maybe they clipped all of the parking examples out of the training set.

1710277108187.png

Reactions: powertoold

View attachment 1027153

I encountered this exact issue (stop signs on A-frames) with a broken traffic light at a large intersection. It didn't seem like 12.2.1 would stop, so I disengaged and stopped myself.

Reactions: Mardak

Why do you say that? I've had 11.4.9 blow right through (or start to) well-marked, normally-placed stop signs with regular visibility in 20 MPH speed limit neighborhoods.

Reactions: DanCar