Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that you cannot go more than 5 over with v12 on city streets now. I wonder if this would allow it to go faster if everyone else was.
Hopefully that's removed when it goes out to everyone. There's a ton of spots here in DC where it has the speed limit at 15 mph on a ramp merging into a highway that I have to manually override.

I feel like the initial release is gonna be a bit of a hassle to relearn all the quarks.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Hopefully that's removed when it goes out to everyone. There's a ton of spots here in DC where it has the speed limit at 15 mph on a ramp merging into a highway that I have to manually override.

I feel like the initial release is gonna be a bit of a hassle to relearn all the quarks.
Also, FSD constantly misreads speed limits coupled with bad map data, I'm constantly scrolling. If that's a requirement of V12, I'll stay with V11.

Reactions: ArchHamster
And feeding that one video to the training system 100,000 times.

Probably need to train thousands of different video data to capture flat roads, incline roads, decline roads, wet roads, icy roads, partially obstructed stop signs, darting pedestrians, etc which would then feed the brake/regen control NN. I would guess the brake/regen control NN would be relatively simple with a few input params like vehicle velocity, distance to stop, jerk/g-force, road conditions, weather, and a pedal position output. But who knows.

Last edited:
Based on Omar's comments, and recognizing his positive bias, I am sticking with my prediction that V12 will go wide no earlier than April. Even Omar is talking about a March rollout which indicates, to me, that despite the improved driving comfort, the system has a lot of problems yet to be worked out.

I'd like to see Chuck Cook get a copy so we can see how it works with unprotected lefts and narrow roads.

While I don't believe Elon has been particularly honest with his projections, I do believe he's done about the best that anyone could've done to make general self-driving become a reality, and Tesla will be the first to really nail it.

Haha, yeah, reading a certain blogger complain about 'last chances' for FSD (frawdrick) is like complaining that a splunker hasn't arrived at the end of the cave yet:
  1. where's the map of the cave, fredtrek?
  2. who's ever been here before? (nobody)
  3. how much popcorn do you have? (for the trails, not the audience cheap seats)
We'll get there soon enough, and afterward we'll sell the maps, or licence the rope!

Cheers!

Of course, Omar's been doing 'zero intervention' drives for the last 3 years. It's really quite easy to do if you have no qualms or consideration for other drivers, pedestrians, traffic laws, etc!
When I see other Teslas I always wonder whether they are using FSD. One easy tell is if they cross lane lines - and how centered they are. Better the driving, more likely it is FSD :)

I'm just gonna wait until I can see how it handles my drives with my car and my perceptions.

The one thing that I want from V12 is for Tesla to demonstrate that they have control over the system. That they can make it sit up and beg, roll over and play dead. It's okay that HW3 is an old dog that can't do a lot, but I want Tesla to demonstrate that they can realize its potential.
I’m your garage or while driving?

There is a logical fallacy (hasty generalization - jumping to conclusion) that keeps coming up over and over here. Just because you do not see something doesn't mean it doesn't happen frequently outside of your viewpoint.

"Well I don't come to a stop when turning"
"All of the cars I see when driving don't come to a stop"
"I read a statistic in an article..."
"Most people on a forum say..."

I think it is great to encourage focus on the road when driving. Fiddling with navigation can be done when stopped, and more latitude is provided there (though not infinite latitude of course since you should be looking at the road when stopped as well).

It’s a good reminder to me to cease and desist with my bad habits.
The problem is the nag-o-matic becomes disruptive. I've complained about this before - if they are doing gaze tracking and it can tell I'm looking at the road, why does it nag me every 10 seconds? (Yes, I've timed it.) I've had it nag me when I'm looking down to change the climate settings. I've had it nag me when I look down to see what the alert that just popped up was (the alert said "pay attention to the road" 🙄) I've had it nag me the I was looking at the nav screen to make sure I would have enough battery to make it home.

The latest changes really have made it more of a chore to use FSD without improving my focus (and at times disrupting my focus.) As such I view them as a failure.