Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if this is based on the map metadata as before, or V12 actually obeying the posted signs:

Most likely it just often does not make turns on red! (In other words, it does not understand how red lights work.)

Sounds like this one is bad and Omar will just tell us that first version of 12 was really great compared to 12.3.

But with wider rollout looks like beer will be mine. I hope Chuck gets lucky. ☘️ That unprotected left is going to chew up and spit out this iteration of the infantile NN.

Last edited:
Various regressions with 12.3 such as staying stopped for flashing red lights or red lanterns requiring intervention, but most egregious was exit lane confusion with disengagement at a gore point:

12.3 gore point.jpg

FSD Beta blue path and Autosteer wheel are still blue in this screenshot indicating it wanted to go right, but the steering wheel was jerking left perhaps as part of the disengagement to take the left-side exit? Although maybe it would have taken the right-side exit fine? [edit: checking the navigation, the right-side was actually correct.]

Last edited:
Various regressions with 12.3 such as staying stopped for flashing red lights or red lanterns requiring intervention, but most egregious was exit lane confusion with disengagement at a gore point:

View attachment 1028178

FSD Beta blue path and Autosteer wheel are still blue in this screenshot indicating it wanted to go right, but the steering wheel was jerking left perhaps as part of the disengagement to take the left-side exit? Although maybe it would have taken the right-side exit fine? [edit: checking the navigation, the right-side was actually correct.]

Failed attempt to curb Omar's wheels here. Just a matter of time before success at the curbing endeavor. I would expect more of that happening again without the 300k lines of code. Maybe the curbing will start in earnest this weekend!

IMG_0489.PNG

Slight bump in rollout newly adding those from 11.x. Teslascope is just now showing 12.3 pending versions coming from 2023.44.30.8 and 2023.44.30.14 with a new rollout wave! TeslaFi now shows 44 pending with a total pending/installed of 98 (up from 12.2.1's 67 total, so ~50% increase).
"Runs out to car while nude to check"

Im disappointed, neighbors disappointed, Also, no update on car.

View attachment 1028178

What's going on with Whole Mars these days? He dares call it disappointing? ;) He also recently called TSLA a POS stock. He best be careful otherwise he'll have to say hello to Chuck in the doghouse.

Also got V12.3 from V11.4.9 on our HW3 Model Y [edited to add HW3]

Took a very short drive with practically no traffic but I still got to quickly see improvement.

Basically, the little loop I took had plenty of places that V11 was either failing completely or doing poorly and V12 did quite well on.

First success was right turn V11 hasn't been able to do quite a while now. Easily done.

Second success was no unnecessary signal as road bends right.

Short hop on the freeway. Interesting observation at off ramp that had a "no right on red". I got there with a red light. The car stopped and it started going but it stopped itself. I don't know if the control signal/processing for the "no right on red" was just a fraction late causing the small lurch. I suspect this is still map data.

It didn't seem to "charge" at red lights, instead it seem to time them, several times we didn't end coming to a full stop because the light changed as we got to the intersection as we were slowing.

The launch from stop signs seemed better (as others have already noted).

V11 would jerk wheel (and car) rather violently after turning in the cul-de-sac that I live on. No issue with V12.

Finally, it tried to pull over in front of my house. Because of the cul-de-sac, there is actually no curb that you can stop that is in front of my house. The car proceeded around the cul-de-sac and stopped at the first available curb, about two houses down. I'll call that correct behavior.

Very promising!

I wish Tesla has a way to let users edit videos, take snapshots and send to email from the touch screen and remotely download videos from the car to the computer.
I'd love to see this capability also - but it occurs to me that it would kind of open the door for third parties to gather Tesla fleet-driving video clips. Provide an app that can pull the 10-minute chunks of multi-camera video, and pay people to install the app and allow automatic uploads. "Earn as you drive!"

Yeah I realize it sounds a little paranoid and farfetched, but if you think it through, this is a fundamental data advantage for Tesla. They're not likely to make it easy for anyone to do this on a large scale.

I think there are already projects where people have connected a Raspberry Pi or other computer to the dashcam port for just this kind of purpose, if you're motivated enough to tinker with it.

Tesla might consider upgrading the app to allow remote viewing of Sentry clips (a lot of us would like that) but I think they'd draw the line at multi-camera dashcam footage.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Kinda a little disheartening reading a lot of the comments. Usually for the first couple of days of a new release almost all are about improvements. It is just human nature to mostly see only the good in our "new toy" for the first few days. Seems there are a lot of people pointing out regressions and the problems already (even Omar :oops: ). That will likely mean that in a week or so the negatives will increase as people spend more time. Hope 12.3 is good and safe enough for a wider rollout but seems Tesla is so overfitting for Cali driving laws right now that it may take more time to get to every state.

[wild ramblings]Which brings up another possibility. Tesla may try and add a state or a few a week since it may need to train for each stats laws. This could mean that some would get it sooner and some would be waiting a while for their state to queue up.

Reactions: ArchHamster
Kinda a little disheartening reading a lot of the comments. Usually for the first couple of days of a new release almost all are about improvements. It is just human nature to mostly see only the good in our "new toy" for the first few days. Seems there are a lot of people pointing out regressions and the problems already (even Omar :oops: ). That will likely mean that in a week or so the negatives will increase as people spend more time. Hope 12.3 is good and safe enough for a wider rollout but seems Tesla is so overfitting for Cali driving laws right now that it may take more time to get to every state.
Are you being sarcastic?

Nobody was expecting v12 to be perfect. Of course there will be problem spots.
But nearly everyone is saying this is the best release ever and a huge leap forward.

Are you being sarcastic?

Nobody was expecting v12 to be perfect. Of course there will be problem spots.
But nearly everyone is saying this is the best release ever and a huge leap forward.
I'd say there's quite a few who were and are expecting v12...even in the early stages to be perfect and "solve FSD", mostly investors.

I feel that, after trying V12.3, that FSD really will reach the goal of a level 4 system. There are still specific features it needs and it will take some time to get them all but it does seem like this is the start of a real self driving system. Once it reaches that goal it will be completely ... unimpressive. I say that because each time I show my wife a new capability of the system, like dodging debris in the street, her reaction is always, "That's normal." Once it can do everything, it will drive like normal, and no one will think anything of it.
People with TSLA stock will be thinking about it a lot...

Reactions: Captkerosene
IMO the key right now is going to be demonstrating the steady improvements one would expect from an effective NN-based system. All it really needs to be is better than the last version, for starters, as long as that keeps repeating itself. I think as soon as they made the fated decision to switch to end-to-end, V11 became totally orphaned and the updates were kinda geared toward just keeping everyone a bit distracted/hopeful while the real work (V12) was going on. The distraction part may have worked, but probably not the hopeful.

So to me, it's not as much how good this release is, but how much better the subsequent release(s) will be. Hopefully "will".

People with TSLA stock will be thinking about it a lot...
According to K's wife, with level 4 the stock will just flatten out. So what, no big deal.

Imagine how the level 5 generation (Gen5) will behave: "what, you had to drive your own car ... ha ha". Or: "that's so buzzin', you got to drive your own car."

Last edited:
IMO the key right now is going to be demonstrating the steady improvements one would expect from an effective NN-based system. All it really needs to be is better than the last version, for starters, as long as that keeps repeating itself. I think as soon as they made the fated decision to switch to end-to-end, V11 became totally orphaned and the updates were kinda geared toward just keeping everyone a bit distracted/hopeful while the real work (V12) was going on. The distraction part may have worked, but probably not the hopeful.

So to me, it's not as much how good this release is, but how much better the subsequent release(s) will be. Hopefully "will".
I like to think of it relative to Elon's interview question: What's the most difficult problem you've solved and how did you do it? Solving one really tough problem is more important than solving a lot of small ones.

Reactions: FSDtester#1