Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, how I long for Tesla's full self driving 12.3, But alas, it seems everyone else has it but me. I watch as they glide effortlessly down the road, While I remain stuck, feeling like a toad.

The promise of autonomous driving is so enticing, But without it, my heart feels like it's icing. I dream of the day when I can sit back and relax, While my Tesla whisks me away, no need to track.

But for now, I wait with bated breath, Hoping that soon I'll join the ranks of the blessed. Until then, I'll watch as others enjoy the ride, And silently weep for my unfulfilled pride.

So here I am, longing for Tesla's full self driving 12.3, Hoping that someday soon, it will be granted to me.
I'm with you but if you look at teslafi and see how many are still on 2023.44.30.08 and .14, there are 2440 on .14 and 2309 still on .08.

.25 is on 617 cars so the vast majority don't have it yet.

V12 is too human-like! I was driving on a rural highway with 60 mph speed limit on the V12 stack and the car kept slowly wandering from one side of the lane to the other. It was a straight road with no potholes or debris. Never crossed out of the lane and was never a danger. But, after being so used to AP and FSD staying rock-steady in the center of the lane, it was kind of weird to have the car moving around like a human.

V12 is too human-like! I was driving on a rural highway with 60 mph speed limit on the V12 stack and the car kept slowly wandering from one side of the lane to the other. It was a straight road with no potholes or debris. Never crossed out of the lane and was never a danger. But, after being so used to AP and FSD staying rock-steady in the center of the lane, it was kind of weird to have the car moving around like a human.
Maybe testing the DUI "human style". :oops: 🤣

I'm not optimistic for 2 reasons. First, I live in the Northeast where only a handful of owners have V12. Second, I have HW4.
The top regions based on TeslaFi population that still have 0 instances of installing 12.x include New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Massachusetts; but there indeed are a few/low-percentage installs spread across Northeast: New Jersey, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont.

As for HW4, it also very low percentage around 1% overall so far and in states that have gotten larger rollouts, but that might just be what's easily observable with this service. Tesla could determine that both HW3 and HW4 are equally good to roll out wider to the validated states, so potentially the current Northeast validation happening in parallel to HW4 validation will allow for the combined to happen at the same time.

The top populous states with some testing but not yet a wider rollout include Washington and Illinois, so maybe there will be some winter-y/Norther-ly driving commonality to help you get 12.x sooner?

Reactions: edseloh
but it sounds like your particular concern was more of starting to stop too late resulting in stronger deceleration or unnecessary jerk?

Or were you noticing braking profile issues with stop signs or generally stopped vehicles too?

With a stopped or stopping lead vehicle it was applying inappropriately high braking force too early. So it was doing a lot of pre-emphasis, over braking. Then it would ease way off the brakes and coast to a stop.

Just jerky. To some extent this happened on v11 so no change. But obviously it will be different on v12 so I’ll have to let it do its thing (I usually just disengaged as soon as it applied excessive braking, and let the car coast properly to a stop without touching the pedals) more to determine exactly how to describe how it is broken now, and how that is different than v11.

I’m really not sure what is so hard about coasting gently to a stop behind a lead vehicle, even if that vehicle is slamming the brakes and driving erratically. Seems trivial. It’s not like it is hard to identify these vehicles. And the cases this morning were for normal lead vehicles.

If they fix the premature and drama-queen stopping, this thing could be pretty good.

Last edited:
Oh, how I long for Tesla's full self driving 12.3, But alas, it seems everyone else has it but me. I watch as they glide effortlessly down the road, While I remain stuck, feeling like a toad.

The promise of autonomous driving is so enticing, But without it, my heart feels like it's icing. I dream of the day when I can sit back and relax, While my Tesla whisks me away, no need to track.

But for now, I wait with bated breath, Hoping that soon I'll join the ranks of the blessed. Until then, I'll watch as others enjoy the ride, And silently weep for my unfulfilled pride.

So here I am, longing for Tesla's full self driving 12.3, Hoping that someday soon, it will be granted to me.
The rollout is assigned with no Rhyme or Reason ;)

But if I could I would grant it to you, just for being the only person on the internet who still knows how to spell "bated breath".

V12 seems to want to stop for a light as soon as it goes yellow. If it can stop, it will stop, and it'll brake pretty hard to do it. Then there are the cases where it will start to brake, realize that it's going to end up in the intersection, then continue on.

Can always tell an AI-generated poem. It’s a bizarre mechanical formula that seems so unnatural. ChatGPT? Or something else?

(It’ll be funny if you came up with this yourself, though. My opinion of the work is totally different in that case. Haha - I could never ever write a poem.)

Can always tell an AI-generated poem. It’s a bizarre mechanical formula that seems so unnatural. ChatGPT? Or something else?

(It’ll be funny if you came up with this yourself, though. My opinion of the work is totally different in that case. Haha - I could never ever write a poem.)
ChatGPT it is. I too thought it would be easy to spot heh.

What's the percentage of HW4 deployments so far? Are they sending to any HW4s?

Maybe 1% of the V12 installs.

~0.81300813008 (5/615) in TeslaFI
eiaGnQA.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: aronth5
V12 seems to want to stop for a light as soon as it goes yellow. If it can stop, it will stop, and it'll brake pretty hard to do it.
Well, that is the law, at least in Oregon. If you can stop "safely", you are required to stop, otherwise they can write you a ticket for failing to obey a traffic control device. (Even if you clear the intersection before it actually turns red.)

V12 seems to want to stop for a light as soon as it goes yellow. If it can stop, it will stop, and it'll brake pretty hard to do it. Then there are the cases where it will start to brake, realize that it's going to end up in the intersection, then continue on.
Noticed this too. Also I had it start to slow down and then gun it through. Kinda strange and seemed more like a human caught in-between.

I didn't even realize it was a poem and didn't notice the rhyming until someone pointed it out.

• Funny
Reactions: j0shm1lls
I thought the V12 only updated the city-streets part with neural network control. The release notes specifically mention "city streets". I received it 2 days ago.

Lower speed street driving behavior is obviously completely different, and a significant improvement, by far the biggest change in 2 years I've experienced it.

So Cal freeway driving felt still robotic, but maybe with some code tweaks.

I thought the V12 only updated the city-streets part with neural network control. The release notes specifically mention "city streets". I received it 2 days ago.

Lower speed street driving behavior is obviously completely different, and a significant improvement, by far the biggest change in 2 years I've experienced it.

So Cal freeway driving felt still robotic, but maybe with some code tweaks.
Many highways (especially with intersections) are considered a "city street" in Tesla mapping, so V12 stack operates there.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
it stopped for the opossum, which was awesome.
This is fab! Last year I drove three surviving joeys (had to look that one up) to a wildlife rehab center. Their mother had been hit on a road I walk.
It's possible the car is trying to drive around the shadow on the road! Do you think that's possible?
I would think seeing an oncoming car would override any movement to avoid a shadow. Or there'd be lots of braking. Clip:

clip2.jpg

Right, it seems like with AUTO off or on, 12.x drives slower than the posted/detected speed limit if it thinks that's appropriate whereas 11.x tried pretty hard to get to and maintain the set speed even when inappropriate. This is actually much better for a particular scenario here where 11.x would turn into a residential street still thinking it should go 40mph.
I leave my home, a 25mph unmarked twisty road, as it slowly accelerates - I stop for "the chickens in the road" (what happened?), reingage to super slow acceleration. reach the UPL (second stop sign) where it waits too long, finally happy to see a car appear to the left when it has a purpose in life - to zip across right after it passes. I drop to 45, my usual speed on this 55mph road. (btw first stop sign fabulously stopped even with it instead of stopping 10-12' or more earlier)

This same 55 mph road on return, the car for the first time ever decides the speed limit is 45 mph (no missing or new signs that I noticed). The right turn onto the unmarked 25mph then switches to 55mph (a bad habit it developed a while back for 500 or 600' after turning) and then drops to 25mph. So the slow increase does help here too.

I really hate the inconsistent speeds (slow) and miss the quick scroll wheel changes that seemed so right once they were ours.
Note, I did not experience issues with not slowing down for curves if I chose to accelerate earlier.
No doubt the biggest change from V11 to V12 is from the pure robotic actions to very human like driving behavior.
Dazed, enjoying live to the fullest, on drugs. Previous poster suggested DUI. Another strong possibility.

I want it to drive like it knows it has somewhere to go and it is going to get there, dammit.

Last edited:
Based on TeslaFi numbers for 2023.44.30.{8,14,20,25} so far, looks like these states are around 30% rollout of 12.x:
Code:
Arizona (28) 26%
California (198) 21%
Florida (72) 23%
Georgia (25) 23%
Nevada (20) 48%
North Carolina (38) 33%
South Carolina (8) 22%
Texas (88) 25%
Virginia (61) 34%

These others have a few installs of 12.x, so these might still be small percentage (or undetected) rollout for initial testing and evaluation:
Code:
Alabama (0)
Alaska (1) 20%
Arkansas (0)
Colorado (0)
Connecticut (0)
Delaware (0)
Hawaii (0)
Idaho (1) 6%
Illinois (2) 2%
Indiana (0)
Iowa (0)
Kansas (1) 4%
Kentucky (0)
Louisiana (2) 10%
Maine (0)
Maryland (0)
Massachusetts (0)
Michigan (2) 2%
Minnesota (0)
Mississippi (0)
Missouri (0)
Montana (0)
Nebraska (0)
New Hampshire (1) 3%
New Jersey (1) 1%
New Mexico (1) 6%
New York (0)
North Dakota (0)
Ohio (0)
Oklahoma (0)
Oregon (1) 1%
Pennsylvania (0)
Rhode Island (1) 6%
South Dakota (0)
Tennessee (0)
Utah (0)
Vermont (1) 8%
Washington (3) 1%
Washington DC (0)
West Virginia (0)
Wisconsin (0)
Wyoming (0)

Similarly, HW4 has a few installs probably also for early testing before wider rollout.
😭😭😭
Minnesota's still at zero!

.....and Average means FSD is better athan the top 90% of drivers.

at 95% of Americans are worse than average at statistics!