Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many PCS have failed?

Has your battery's Power Conversion System (PCS) failed?

• Yes, I can only charge at 32A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and Tesla replaced it under the HV Battery Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! I have a 2018 Model 3 Long Range with the error PCS a013. Car charges totally fine but only goes up to 32 amps max. It doesnt really bother me the slower rate, but I am more concerned about it causing damage to other components... What do you guys think. Tesla quoted me $2500 because I rebuilt the car and it needs a HV inspection

Hey everyone! I have a 2018 Model 3 Long Range with the error PCS a013. Car charges totally fine but only goes up to 32 amps max. It doesnt really bother me the slower rate, but I am more concerned about it causing damage to other components...
It can't damage anything else. It's just up to you when you decide to get it fixed. If the 32A doesn't bother you much, it's fine, and you can go for years that way. It may eventually lose another module in the charger, and then your max charging amps would drop to 16A. And maybe then that would be troublesome enough for you to get it fixed at that point.

it looks like there is a fault with my pre charger system as well.
I haven't heard of this term. What did someone describe as a "pre charger system"?

do you think that could cause the contactors to have issues due to such high voltage running through them?
Aside from some very early issues with the contactors, they got those figured out pretty well in the last several years of cars, and I haven't heard of problems with them generally.

So I was thinking it was just the one destination charger that I was using. But now I have used two other ones and the same error comes up and can only charge at a max 7kW.
Any ideas
20230519_091920.jpg

Reactions: Yanquetino
So I was thinking it was just the one destination charger that I was using. But now I have used two other ones and the same error comes up and can only charge at a max 7kW.
Any ideas
View attachment 939205

Did you describe your symptoms somewhere or is this screen shot all you've provided? Anyway, based on this limited information, it seems likely you have a PCS failure and it needs repair. If you're in warranty, then get it in and get it fixed. If not, you might still want to get it diagnosed, then decide whether you want to pay to fix it, or are happy with this level of charging.

Did you describe your symptoms somewhere or is this screen shot all you've provided? Anyway, based on this limited information, it seems likely you have a PCS failure and it needs repair. If you're in warranty, then get it in and get it fixed. If not, you might still want to get it diagnosed, then decide whether you want to pay to fix it, or are happy with this level of charging.
Well unfortunately I cannot charge at home due to living in a townhouse with no close outlet. So it's either the supercharger that's 20 minutes away or the destination charger that is only 10 minutes away.
Preferably want to use the destination charger as that is free, but it kind of offsets with how slow it charges. If I could get the full 17k, that would cut my charging time in half with only currently charging at 7kW. The car is a 2018 m3p with 70k miles, so out of warranty. Put a service ticket in to see what they say but I think I can live with the error if it's going to cost more than $800 or so.

Attachments

• 20230519_091003.jpg
    20230519_091003.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 59
Well unfortunately I cannot charge at home due to living in a townhouse with no close outlet. So it's either the supercharger that's 20 minutes away or the destination charger that is only 10 minutes away.
Preferably want to use the destination charger as that is free, but it kind of offsets with how slow it charges. If I could get the full 17k, that would cut my charging time in half with only currently charging at 7kW. The car is a 2018 m3p with 70k miles, so out of warranty. Put a service ticket in to see what they say but I think I can live with the error if it's going to cost more than $800 or so.
Well, the max level of AC charging on your car is 11.5kW (48a@240v), not 17kW, so the drop to 7.6kW(32a@240v) is not that big. Plenty of people (like me) are happy with that level of charging, since it is also the max the Tesla mobile connector supplies.

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone has been involved in replacing the PCS unit on a Tesla Model 3 LR 2019 car. Can you share the instructions, etc., on replacing this unit, is it possible to change it without draining the antifreeze, that is, opening its case and replacing the circuit board with a new one.

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone has been involved in replacing the PCS unit on a Tesla Model 3 LR 2019 car. Can you share the instructions, etc., on replacing this unit, is it possible to change it without draining the antifreeze, that is, opening its case and replacing the circuit board with a new one.
Set yourself up with a free Tesla service account, and look at their instructions for what you need to do: Tesla Service

I'm pretty sure that you have to open the coolant system, requiring a purge and refill.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I wonder if cracking the penthouse and trying to do this work yourself would void your HV battery warranty. Going down that path could kinda force Tesla's hand / argument on the PCS being part of the HV battery or not.
All I did was ask about it being covered under the high voltage battery warranty and they said yes. Have an appointment this Friday. Currently have an invoice just for diagnostics on $200 and if deemed PCS is the issue they're replacing it completely free and waving all charges

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230522_114527_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230522_114527_Tesla.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 50
I wonder if cracking the penthouse and trying to do this work yourself would void your HV battery warranty. Going down that path could kinda force Tesla's hand / argument on the PCS being part of the HV battery or not.
Huh. Now that is a very interesting logical argument that I would not have thought of considering. It does kind of force a choice, and they shouldn't be able to have it both ways. If you can open it up to get to it and repair it, and they want to stick with that story that it's not part of the battery, then it can't void the warranty for it.

Reactions: BigNick and ucmndd