Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is informative.

Looks like a lot of disassembly to put an extra filter in. I hope the PUP adds an easier route to filter replacement for service engineers.

Without the PUP is it possible to activate the positive pressure setting of ‘bioweapon defense mode’? Or in adding a HEPA filter with this mod are you only adding extra filtration?

Great to hear that though these filters might be an unusual size that they are likely off-the -shelf items.

I could be wrong, but I think all that activating BioWeapon defense mode in my PuP car does is turn the fan up higher.... which presumably creates the positive pressure.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Very useful information. Clearly a benefit to adding the filter.

I'm not sure what a car with Bio-Weapon Defense Mode does exactly. But, besides the filter, it additionally pressures the cabin to prevent external pollutants from entering the car and I think that it is more than putting the fan on high, i.e. some damper are operated.

There is a separate setting for it and you can really feel the fact that the cabin is pressured.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Ya all bioweapon "Button" does is boost the fan for 2-3 seconds to create positive pressure then use a normal fan setting, without that button the filter still works as normal, make sure air is set to outside -> cabin flow so it goes thru the filter, then set it to 11 fan speed and it will do the same thin basically

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop and PrGrPa
Ya all bioweapon "Button" does is boost the fan for 2-3 seconds to create positive pressure then use a normal fan setting, without that button the filter still works as normal, make sure air is set to outside -> cabin flow so it goes thru the filter, then set it to 11 fan speed and it will do the same thin basically
Not sure if anything else is going on behind the scenes, but I used mine yesterday due to CA fire smoke, and the button launches the fan to level 9, switches to outside air (and I confirm the first few seconds are a blast to get positive pressure started).

When you are behind a stinkin diesel delivery truck, this mode it delightful!

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: selfbp and PrGrPa
It turns on the ‘biohazard’ symbol, which is a shortcut for external air at full power to pressurize the cabin through filtered air. This is what keeps ‘dirty’ air from coming in. Thus, smelly/contaminated air is kept out by the positive pressure and cleansed by the filters. So, if you don’t have BWDM, add the filter, turn on external air at full power, and you should be set.

The only other ‘question’ is, do all cars have the charcoal filters, since the add-on BWDM was a quick install by the SC for a time via adding the HEPA filter and enabling the BWDM mode.

I say they do, since BWDM was so easy to add, and it’s in line with normal Tesla production simplication practices. We need someone with a non-PUP car to look behind the glove box to see that they do or don’t have them. Others say they don’t, since the charcoal is mentioned in the PUP listing. (My answer to that is it’s normal Tesla web site puffery, where it doesn’t say non-PUP doesn’t have it.)

This video is beyond amazing! Thank you so much for providing such a detailed video. When you are due to change the filter, I'd do a live action video going through every step in detail while you are at it. That would be awesome!

Have you attempted to try to get a service center to update the software to put in the bioweapon button?

How long did this take you to do?

and can anyone confirm you can buy the filter itself from a service center?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vince Cobelo
Awesome post crehop. I have been wondering the same thing. So I just called my service center and ordered the tesla hepa filter for my 17 model s. They told me no problem ordering it even know mine is a non pup. 150 bucks. Not bad.

I guess it's all in what you want. I bought 2 filters from Filter Buy rated at MERV 13 for $37.78. MERV 13 is not quite a good as HEPA, which would be MERV 17-20, but close enough for me. lol

Awesome post crehop. I have been wondering the same thing. So I just called my service center and ordered the tesla hepa filter for my 17 model s. They told me no problem ordering it even know mine is a non pup. 150 bucks. Not bad.

You should ask if they will update the software to put in the bioweapon button.

And how long are those HEPA filters rated for? If they only last like a month then it's hard to justify the $123 premium price and doing that every month. I'm sure there has to be a third party site somewhere that sells MERV 17+ HEPA filters for less.

You should ask if they will update the software to put in the bioweapon button.
I doubt they would, I have a connect at Tesla and he said it won't fly, I haven't actually asked yet tho.

And how long are those HEPA filters rated for? If they only last like a month then it's hard to justify the $123 premium price and doing that every month. I'm sure there has to be a third party site somewhere that sells MERV 17+ HEPA filters for less.

Tesla says filter is good for 1 year.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop